News   May 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 548     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and
- the cachet of being the dividing line between east and west in this city
- the misplaced boast of being 'the world's longest street'
- rather storied
- the route of the city's busiest subway line

while Bloor also frieghts into this intersection
- the cachet of city's ritziest shopping district
- also a rather storied street
- the route of the city's second busiest subway line

...so yeah, it's an important corner!

I'd find it hard to believe that the city would allow the developer to make this a parking lot. They seem to value this site given how for some reason Yonge and Bloor is the "most important interesection" in Canada

King & Bay is far more prominent.

Anyone else feel slightly uneasy that our local residential landscape is being redefined by phantom buyers and hangs in the balance by the whimsical urges of oil barons and specuvestors from far off lands such as Saudi Arabia, Dubai, China and Russia?

Surely I am not alone in my concern.

Anyone else feel slightly uneasy that our local residential landscape is being redefined by phantom buyers and hangs in the balance by the whimsical urges of oil barons and specuvestors from far off lands such as Saudi Arabia, Dubai, China and Russia?
It's just a marketing gimmick. No Toronto loving (or hating) person is actually going to call this the world's most important intersection at any time in any of our lives.

It's just a marketing gimmick. No Toronto loving (or hating) person is actually going to call this the world's most important intersection at any time in any of our lives.

It's the broader issue that concerns me. It gives me an unsettled feeling to think that Toronto is evolving into what effectively is an international money sheltering/laundering destination. What does that say about the cultural footprint of this city in the coming years?

What does that say about the cultural footprint of this city in the coming years?

It says nothing about Toronto's cultural footprint. Unless you mean business culture, in which case I would suggest it will all come out in the wash as it always does.

Invest in wind power and you won't be so worried all the time.

People in Winnipeg would also take issue with the whole: "Most important intersection in Canada" thing.....

That's kind of true. The fact that Winnipeggers would care about this sort of thing while Torontonians would not is probably the reason why Toronto is the kind of metropolis that Winnipeg isn't.

haha!

I know usually the city only steps in when it impacts them directy (i.e. Sapphire and One City Hall), but what is the logic behind this importance I wonder? I understand Yonge, I guess, but I'm not sure why Bloor street is more significant than any other street.

Really the project did push location as being a selling factor, so to see progress replace rundown buildings with a parking lot seems hard to believe unless you take as long as Trump to start.

Bloor is a well known street.

Bloor is seen as an upscale highclass street like Eglinton...

I also mean when Bloor and Eglinton cross the midtown....

Bloor is overall more upscale than Eglinton. At least four of Toronto's desirable neighbourhoods are built around a retail strip on Bloor: Yorkville, the Annex, Bloor West Village and the Kingsway. Bloor at Yonge marks the line between downtown and midtown. It's a crucial transportation intersection and alive after five. King and Bay are more important nationally from an economic perspective, but a city isn't just about economics.

Avenue and Bloor

Bloor is overall more upscale than Eglinton. At least four of Toronto's desirable neighbourhoods are built around a retail strip on Bloor: Yorkville, the Annex, Bloor West Village and the Kingsway. Bloor at Yonge marks the line between downtown and midtown. It's a crucial transportation intersection and alive after five. King and Bay are more important nationally from an economic perspective, but a city isn't just about economics.

In terms of importance, I would argue that nothing matches Avenue and Bloor for its cache. There you have the University, the ROM, the Four Seasons, the city's (country's?) most expensive retail strip, a well maintained park, and of course the provincial legislature. It also serves as the de facto epicentre for the TIFF which is probably the only event that puts Toronto on the world stage consistently. This may change when the Festival Tower is finished but I don't believe that King and John will ever be able to pull off the faux-Hollywood thing.

To me this intersection signifies the height of importance in Toronto whereas Yonge and Bloor signifies street meat, filth, homelessness and the hideously monolithic HBC structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back