News   May 24, 2024
 6.9K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 440     0 

Moose Rail (National Capital Region)

We invite OC-Transpo, the STO and other operators to participate in a consortium.

I wonder if Joseph Potvin also expects that OC Transpo would establish a condominium corporation around each of their own stations, gather revenue through that corporation, and then subsequently pay MOOSE a stopping fee to have their own trains stop at their own stations.

In your Letter of Application to CTA of 29 Jun 16 you claim that MOOSE will operate a 400km (para 20) network over 3 lines (Annex F). There will be approximately 50 stations (para 20). You indicate that you will use 6 trains to do that. (Annex J, para 3b) and that you will provide hourly service (page 6 of update 25 Nov 16).

To do that you would need each train to complete its run from end to end of each line in under an hour, give some time to conduct your “pit stop program” at the end of each line (Annex J, para 4.2), and then head out again in the opposite direction.

This is obviously impossible. Some simple math:
Good math aside, I couldn't find where it says that "6 trainsets" and "50 stations" are the /startup/ phase.

The exact paragraph says:

(b) Start-up service assessments will assume use of two Bombardier BiLevel Coaches and one Cab Cars per trainset, with six running trains, plus two spare coaches and two spare Cab Cars. No train supplier has yet been selected, and this train, built in Thunder Bay, Ontario, is a convenient and realistic planning reference.
I tried to hunt the PDF file to figure out whether start-up service will be 50 stations at the beginning, but I could not find it. At this moment, I consider your post void until this is clarified.

Read again. "START UP SERVICE" -- a tidbit Charles conveniently left out.

I wonder if Joseph Potvin also expects that OC Transpo would establish a condominium corporation around each of their own stations, gather revenue through that corporation, and then subsequently pay MOOSE a stopping fee to have their own trains stop at their own stations.
Joseph Potvin would have to make good with OCTranspo, then everything's the limit.

In Toronto, Metrolinx is increasingly working with real estate now. The new bus terminal is one example (bus station integrated as part of condo), and the Mobility Hub concept where they are currently open to negotiating agreements with developer to convert a parking lot into a mixed-use complex (with integrated parking in compensation).

I agree that stations should not be suburban single-detached dwellings, as that is mathematically too low-density to give good ROI for a MOOSE station. Real estate developers, would plan medium-densities minimum, and probably a few low-rise towers, to justify the cost of a MOOSE station. The small-town bedroom-community type stuff, but at least it's better than a suburb and has the potential to grow employments in those areas too (e.g. offices, etc).

Now, I don't advocate building density in GATINEAU Park, but Bayview does have density potential (especially if the ugly soviet "Ottawa City Centre" is demolished) and there are also stops in Hull, too, and at least one other densifyable stops. Wakefield already has a train station (albiet a bit of renovation needed) so most of the cost is reactivating the train line (rail maintenance/refurbishment, etc) and would be a lower-cost MOOSE line to startup with, with a few "Densifiable" stations and a few "legacy" stations. Opportunistically, I guess a couple of stations could be simpy GO-style parking lot suburban stations, but that's just basic stops in the line.

This is actually an excellent point I hadn't considered. The uplift is proportional to usage. If there is little to limited usage...read feeder traffic to businesses along the line, values will tank.

The last few posts on SSP Ottawa have been so enlightening. This really is starting to look less like a naive but innocent attempt at improving transit. And more like an attempt at scamming rural investors.

The good thing, the longer this and the SSP thread, the more that Mr. Potvin will be on record for any and all to see.
It's a good thing to discuss this open, pick apart, tear down the planning. There are a huge number of flaws (And maybe the MOOSE plan is unsustainable) but I daresay the number of flaws are currently being exaggerated by Charles.

Look closer, and let us rip apart the trye legitimate arguments. The "six train" bleep by Charles isn't the right thing to attack, because that is only the startup phase, according to my reading of the PDF. Let's find the actual flaws, please.

There are statements made by Mr. Potvin I am indeed very concerned about (e.g. I'd like to see breakeven revenue scenarios, of multiple different what-if scenarios for how many passengers, including best-case and worst-case scenarios, and what the contingency plans are).

I certainly wouldn't want to remove any Trillium stations along the route, and I certainly wouldn't want suburban sprawl (rather than proper density pockets along a corridor) so the MOOSE plan needs to be modified somewhat to accomodate certain realities, but there's also a baby in the bathwater too -- we're arguing what the baby is and what the bathwater is.

If I was a Chinese investor of the MOOSE plan, I'd certainly want to see a Business Plan that actually plugs in approximate real-estate densities & values, ridership simulations, and outputs a "average cost per passenger" data (of multiple theoretical scenarios, good-economy and bad-economy), say, including 5-station, 10-station and 50-station scenarios. The sort of data I'd love to see.

Certainly one might be asked to sign an NDA "to see the numbers" better. However, to also increase public trust in the plan, certain information may need to be released strategically if there is truly a good public benefit, especially if to bring parties like Ottawa/VIA/OCTranspo or whomever onboard (VIA's considering commuter trains in Halifax!). There's possibly multiple dark-horse parties that MOOSE might ultimately team up with (And maybe also change the business plan somewhat) to make things much more feasible, in theory.

Currently, on a technological basis, my biggest question of concern will be how to reconcile the Trillium line with MOOSE, which could actually raise costs dramatically, but I do see theoretical startup phases that doesn't require interlining with Trillium (until later "problem-solved", e.g. when MOOSE electrifies as a theoretical future-phase) -- basically stubs like a Wakefield-Chelsea-Hull-Bayview train service as part of the startup calculus. And none of the station-removal stuff for Trillium. Technically, the MOOSE spurs can operate independently (and deadhead at night to maintenance yard), leaving the Trillium section out initially (e.g. Bayview station area becomes the interchange terminus for the Wakefield MOOSE spur).

Anyhow:
I'll be the open-minded glass half-full "skeptic" here. But I believe (on a re-reading of the PDF, the startup '6 train' is clearly disassociated with full-buildout "50 station" stuff.), it clearly looks like that Charles is hitting below the belt with eye-roll cherrypicked stuff in negativity-amplification manoevers (in between legitimate questions/concerns). Puh-lease.

Last edited:
Ottawa is small compared to the GTA, but the greater Ottawa area is approximately 1.4 million, large by any other Canadian standard and the fourth largest metro region in Canada after Vancouver and ahead of Calgary (at least, as of the 2011 census).
Ottawa also has massive commuter congestion, the question is 'third worst" or "fourth worst" in Canada:
Ottawa is the fourth most congested Canadian city: report
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...y-four-days-last-year-stuck-in-traffic-report

Traffic jams: Ottawa is third most congested city in Canada, says survey
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/traffic-jams-ottawa-third-most-congested-city-in-canada

So you don't care about ridership at all? Only about the real estate uplift. Glad to know where your interests lie.

To use one of Mr. Potvin's examples: A landlord who builds a pool in an apartment building likely isn't in the pool or athletics business. It's an incentive for people to buy apartments. MOOSE is no different except that it's a train line, and with the added perk that the rest of the public can also use it, if they want.

kEiThZ said:
You want Ottawa residents to support you and you think their politicians should acquiesce to surrendering a major rail corridor, but their service is negotiable?

I am genuinely curious if you are the least bit self-aware of how you come off in your public image with statements like this.

Am I the one proposing to upend transit in the fifth largest city in Canada?

That wasn't even a great try at deflection.

I think I missed the post where MOOSE detailed their evil plan to perform a hostile takeover of rail operations in the Ottawa valley... Probably because that never happened, and that's not what's going to happen.
I also wasn't aware that the Trillium line was the backbone of public transit in Ottawa. (Although some students at Carleton might say so)

MOOSE doesn't have any legal right to kick the city of its own rails, and the only way the city would ever allow the Trillium Line to be merged into MOOSE's service would likely be under a strict set of conditions. (I hope you at least have more confidence in the city than what you have for MOOSE).
I suggest you think less of this as less of MOOSE "taking over" the Trillium line and more as the two working together to provide rail transit to not only the Trillium line corridor, but also to the rest of the NCR. At least, that's the way I'm thinking about it.
No one is "surrendering" anything, and MOOSE can't "make" them surrender anything either.

kEiThZ said:
It's hilarious when you think about it. This is like suggesting that I want to start a rail line tomorrow and saying I'm going to suggest that VIA and CN join me in a consortium, right after I suggest legal manoeuvering to gain access to their assets. Why would they not tell me where to stick my "proposal"?

On of the only cases where I can see this being applicable is when MOOSE tried to determine whether the city of Gatineau actually owned the Maniwaki subdivision (along the Rapibus corridor) which was dismissed by the CTA, and supposedly the mayor of Gatineau doesn't have any particularly negative views on MOOSE, so... It's a complete guess where'd that go at this point.

MOOSE never tried to gain any of OC Transpo's assets.

You could argue that they tried to gain Chelsea's assets, but that wasn't until they started tearing up tracks. Both of these were after MOOSE proposed their "Rails-with-trails" plan.

From a business and investment perspective, there are clearly many questions that will need to be answered, but you seem quite set on also framing MOOSE as some kind of evil corporation set on destroying transit in the Ottawa valley.
I have yet to see any actual reason that MOOSE would be bad for the general public that hasn't resorted to this kind of hyperbole (e.g. MOOSE is going to rip off OC Transpo on "free" transfers, MOOSE is going to take forcefully take the Trillium Line from the city, etc.)

OCCheetos, your first post (great ponts!) -- but who are you and where did you suddenly come from? Are you an Ottawan who is a forum member from the Ottawa forum? You seem to know a bit about this subject matter, in what seems to be a balanced (pluses/minuses) way, so true outsider-party commentary is very welcome!

(just making sure this isn't a burner account by an existing UrbanToronto member -- or MOOSE interests in disguise)

Last edited:
OCCheetos, your first post (great ponts!) -- but who are you and where did you suddenly come from -- are you a forum member from the Ottawa forum? You seem to know a bit about this subject matter, in what seems to be a balanced (pluses/minuses) way, so your commentary is very welcome!

(just making sure this isn't a burner account by an existing UrbanToronto member.)

Hi! Sorry if my first post on this forum seemed a bit out of the blue.
I've made a number of posts on the skyscraperpage forum on this topic and felt like addressing some of the points made on this forum too.

Hi! Sorry if my first post on this forum seemed a bit out of the blue. I've made a number of posts on the skyscraperpage forum on this topic and felt like addressing some of the points made on this forum too.
It's all very welcome! I'd love to see more openmind/balanced skeptics in this thread, not just only hellbent anti's or only caffienated cheerleaders here.

At this moment, I consider your post void until this is clarified.

Glad to hear that you have the power to just make my opinions disappear because you don't share them.

Anyway, a couple of points. Joseph Potvin has always made it quite clear that his intent is to start all three lines at the same time. Several suggestions that have been made to him from other members on various forums (including skyscraper forum) about starting with a single line have lead to comments from him about the fact that this needed to have full connectivity immediately for this to work.

One specific quote from Joseph Potvin on SSF: "For there to be any significant value added around stations, all empirical studies show that the market needs two assurances: (a) that the station will stay put, and (b) that from any station, you'll get metropolitan-scale mobility. One test-it-out line won't do that. ... The old aphorism "go big, or go home" applies here. Scale matters."
It might do you good to read the whole page going back a bit to get the context. (link here)

Secondly: The number of stations is supposed to be somewhere between 35 and 50. See quote from Joseph Potvin below which you can also find in many other reference sources. Once again, this speaks to the fact that the whole concept needs full scale connectivity right from the beginning or it doesn't work. To start out with 5 stations, etc, is not in MOOSE's plans. Once again, read the background to the above quote about going big or going home.

The train service provider will develop a portfolio of 35-50 autonomous station projects

Regardless, it's rather pointless. Whether there are 15 stations along the line, or 12, or even zero, my point remains the same. It is impossible to get a train from one end of the line to another, a distance of approximately 130km, in one hour. After 6 years of work, a pre-feasibility study completed, and 16 months into a feasibility study, I would expect they could have at least completed a rough model of the network. Glaring errors like this create a three-fold difference in either the finances required to obtain rolling stock, or a three-fold difference in the frequency of service. If MOOSE wants to be taken serious, they shouldn't be making errors like this that are obvious to the first time reader.

I think I missed the post where MOOSE detailed their evil plan to perform a hostile takeover of rail operations in the Ottawa valley

Potvin has specifically said (I believe it was on SSP Ottawa) that they'd prefer to see the city leave the Trillium Corridor to Moose and redeploy their current rail vehicles elsewhere.

I also wasn't aware that the Trillium line was the backbone of public transit in Ottawa.

It's only a major focus of the Stage 2 LRT.

MOOSE doesn't have any legal right to kick the city of its own rails,

MOOSE's calculation seems to be that they can use the CTA to compel the city to cooperate. You add up how much time they need on the corridor and it's looking a lot like OC Transpo's own ops would have to be curtailed substantially.

I have yet to see any actual reason that MOOSE would be bad for the general public

Other than a business model that requires massive amounts of sprawling development in ex-urban towns I guess there's nothing to worry about. Mr. Potvin has just admitted that service for Ottawa residents (who are paying 1/3rd the cost of upgrade of the Trillium Corridor) is neogtiable and you're saying there's nothing bad here for the general public. With that logic, I am struggling to see how you aren't a MOOSE PR Troll.

If you're cross-posting from SSP Ottawa, feel free to PM me your ID on the other side.

Potvin has specifically said (I believe it was on SSP Ottawa) that they'd prefer to see the city leave the Trillium Corridor to Moose and redeploy their current rail vehicles elsewhere.

Do you have a link for this? It'd be nice to have some context.

Without any context, the way I see it, it still doesn't equate to a "hostile takeover". If the city did ever agree to it, it is true that they'd still have their trains left over, and that they could be used elsewhere.

It's only a major focus of the Stage 2 LRT.

That still doesn't make it the "backbone" of transit in Ottawa. The residents of the south of the city will certainly receive better transit with Stage 2, but at the moment they're being served fine by buses. Stage 2 is more about meeting future capacity due to the predicted expansion of Riverside South and Barrhaven. Even then, the city could easily force MOOSE to provide service for the Stage 2 extension if they went along with MOOSE''s plan.

MOOSE's calculation seems to be that they can use the CTA to compel the city to cooperate. You add up how much time they need on the corridor and it's looking a lot like OC Transpo's own ops would have to be curtailed substantially.

You misunderstand how the CTA works, or what MOOSE is able to do through the CTA. The only thing MOOSE has asked the CTA to do is to investigate the improper removal of the track leading to the PoW bridge (under Canadian law). Even if the CTA found the city guilty, I don't think they could really force the city to go with MOOSE's plan (which is to build a new tunnel west of Bayview since the clearance below the Albert Street Bridge is too low).

In terms of how much they'd need the corridor:
1. Why isn't the corridor already double tracked? Why shouldn't it be double tracked now?
2. That's why MOOSE has their proposal to the city.

Other than a business model that requires massive amounts of sprawling development in ex-urban towns I guess there's nothing to worry about. Mr. Potvin has just admitted that service for Ottawa residents (who are paying 1/3rd the cost of upgrade of the Trillium Corridor) is neogtiable and you're saying there's nothing bad here for the general public. With that logic, I am struggling to see how you aren't a MOOSE PR Troll.

No one seems to have a big problem with developers who continue to build in areas such as Stittsville, Kanata, Barrhaven, or Riverside South. I guess we all just got used to this urban sprawl? In any case, I feel like there will be more people who purchase MOOSE houses within larger communities like Smiths Falls, Arprior, or Barrhaven because of their existing size, etc. (There'll be more people moving there instead of say, Bristol).
Generally, I don't think most of the public who live within the city care much about urban sprawl. They may say "oh yeah that's terrible" if you went up to them on the street and asked them, but in the end is it really affecting them? (You know, other than stretched arguments where the city is somehow bankrupted because a number of people moved out of the city)

In my opinion, I thought Mr. Potvin's wording in his response was dangerous. After all, he said:
Will residents inside the Greenbelt have exactly what is expected under Trillium Stage 2? No, almost certainly not
which sounds absolutely terrible. But then, if you literally just read the next few words
Joseph Potvin said:
it will be different and we think better.

In any case, whether you believe him or not, what makes you think the city would agree to any of this unless the best interests of the general public (which is fast north-south transit by rail) is maintained?
Again, I hope you have more faith in the city than you seem to have for MOOSE.

If you're cross-posting from SSP Ottawa, feel free to PM me your ID on the other side.
(it's the same)

If the Moose proponents were counting on a change in the provincial government and the PC party being more amenable to their proposal, they may want to be aware of this from the PC party platform (page 52):

"The province has promised two-way, all-day GO train service – especially to places like our vital high-tech hub, Kitchener-Waterloo – but the province commonly delays and pushes back the target operation dates for these services. The province should fulfill its promise and should formally commit to complete major transit projects that are already under construction. These major transit projects include the Ottawa Light Rail Transit project’s Phase 2, Hamilton’s Light Rail Transit project, Kitchener-Waterloo’s Light Rail Transit project, and the Finch West Light Rail Transit project.

Patrick Brown and the Ontario PCs will fulfill the existing commitments to two-way, all day GO train service and complete major transit projects already under construction, including those in Ottawa, Hamilton, and Kitchener-Waterloo."

Full PDF here.

Do you have a link for this? It'd be nice to have some context.

Without any context, the way I see it, it still doesn't equate to a "hostile takeover". If the city did ever agree to it, it is true that they'd still have their trains left over, and that they could be used elsewhere.

I'd agree with @kEiThZ. If you read back through a lot of Potvin's posts on the other board, when he is specific, he's strongly indicated he thinks he has a better plan. Take a look at this comment:

"---Quote (Originally by Joseph Potvin)---
Not at all. We're just confident that professional transportation planning staff of the City of Ottawa, and the taxpayers of Ottawa (and of Canada), will see a straightforward way to improve overall transit system performance with high-capacity trains on that line.
---End Quote---"

He's talking about the Trillium line. I don't know about you but when someone uses the words "confident" "will see" "improve" that makes their intentions pretty clear. I'm sure that provides a helpful context.

If the Moose proponents were counting on a change in the provincial government and the PC party being more amenable to their proposal, they may want to be aware of this from the PC party platform (page 52):

"The province has promised two-way, all-day GO train service – especially to places like our vital high-tech hub, Kitchener-Waterloo – but the province commonly delays and pushes back the target operation dates for these services. The province should fulfill its promise and should formally commit to complete major transit projects that are already under construction. These major transit projects include the Ottawa Light Rail Transit project’s Phase 2, Hamilton’s Light Rail Transit project, Kitchener-Waterloo’s Light Rail Transit project, and the Finch West Light Rail Transit project.

Patrick Brown and the Ontario PCs will fulfill the existing commitments to two-way, all day GO train service and complete major transit projects already under construction, including those in Ottawa, Hamilton, and Kitchener-Waterloo."
The Conservatives are known to be 'flexible' in order to cut costs, so I am sure that they would love to talk with MOOSE and/or mediate a negotiation between the City of Ottawa and MOOSE.

^ Hard to say. They seem to be conveying that they don't want to change transit projects already approved and moving forward. Changing the plan could also risk the federal funding and incur cancellation costs depending on where the Stage 2 procurement is at. Plus, I don't get the sense that there are certain neighbourhoods or groups against Stage 2 unlike what Toronto went through with LRT where Ford found some support. If Watson is re-elected, why would a new Provincial government want to take on a needless fight?

Reactions: jys
^ Hard to say. They seem to be conveying that they don't want to change transit projects already approved and moving forward. Changing the plan could also risk the federal funding and incur cancellation costs depending on where the Stage 2 procurement is at. Plus, I don't get the sense that there are certain neighbourhoods or groups against Stage 2 unlike what Toronto went through with LRT where Ford found some support. If Watson is re-elected, why would a new Provincial government want to take on a needless fight?
Valid points. However, I feel like the 2 sides can reach a compromise where both visions are realised, as long as a outside power is willing to help the 2 sides come to an understanding.

Back