News   May 13, 2024
 408     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 627     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

It's hell on a machine, whether it's a thousand dollar plus one or a junker. Part of being a sensible cyclist is knowing when to hang-it-up.

I hope I grow up to be a sensible cyclist one day. Meantime, I've never hung up my bike. It has lived outside for years. I've washed it twice. Still works fine.

The salt and grit migrates into everything. People who claim you can 'winterize a bike' live in a dream. You can slow it down, you can't stop it.

Not in my experience. Enclosed chaincase, drum brakes. Like the Scandinavians use. It snows there, and they carry on through it.

Some do it. They're crazy. It's dangerous, no fun, and it's not that expensive to hop on transit...

Some days are fine. Many days are fun. Other days, the TTC really is the better way.

But cycling is out. Leave it to the hard core who have no respect for their machines or the cause.

The view must be great from upon your high horse. I am privileged to receive the wisdom of The World Authority On Cycling, @steveintoronto

I'm a year round cyclist and don't really think it's that dangerous. I'm not going to take transit when it will take at least twice as much time to get to my destination than a bike will take. I do however put my bike away after the first snowfall and switch to Bike Share since salt can kill your bike. I'd rather have Bike Share deal with the bike maintenance in the winter.

I'm a year round cyclist and don't really think it's that dangerous. I'm not going to take transit when it will take at least twice as much time to get to my destination than a bike will take. I do however put my bike away after the first snowfall and switch to Bike Share since salt can kill your bike. I'd rather have Bike Share deal with the bike maintenance in the winter.

Exact same for me. My bike's in my basement for a while, and Bike Share does just fine for most of my trips following the latest expansion.

When the city actually properly clears the routes, and especially on a bright, clear day like today after the slush has cleared, there's really no material difference between riding on December 20th and June 20th save for the addition of a few layers and a decent pair of gloves.

I rode into work today for the first time in a week. I was surprised and disappointed at how few cyclists there were - I was on my own, or with 1 other cyclist for the route on Sherbourne and Richmond. It could be that people are staying off the bikes after the flash freeze - sidewalks are very icy.

I wish I could cycle year round, but my commute is long. I can bike pretty fast but it still takes at least an hour each way to get from North York to downtown, which includes some really major hills along the way. To do this in cold, slushy or windy weather is too difficult or unpleasant to be worth it. Aside from that, the biggest hindrance is that the salt would ruin my bike. Bike share is not an option either, since it doesn't exist in my area.

I wish I could cycle year round, but my commute is long. I can bike pretty fast but it still takes at least an hour each way to get from North York to downtown, which includes some really major hills along the way. To do this in cold, slushy or windy weather is too difficult or unpleasant to be worth it. Aside from that, the biggest hindrance is that the salt would ruin my bike. Bike share is not an option either, since it doesn't exist in my area.
I don't blame you. I did a commute to Finch from downtown for a year and wouldn't climb that Hogg's hollow hill in the winter.

Doesn't help when the city plows very, very few bicycle lanes and paths. The city tends to use them to store the snow windrows.

bike-lane-toronto-via-lloyd-alter-616.jpg

2014_01_dundurn_bike_lane_covered_in_old_snow.jpg

I'm not sure why you're always in these threads bragging about your "quality machine". It's not really relevant to the discussion since most people ride normal affordable bikes.

"You either break the law or you don't" is a dangerous game with Ontario law books since 99.9% of us break one law or another (or several) on a daily basis.

Other than that, good read. Glad they were able to shake it off after a day.

Why does it seem that this year the city is barely plowing the bike lanes and side roads? Didn't they budget a few years ago dedicated funding for plowing bike lanes?

Because #priorities. Cyclists and pedestrians are second-class citizens in this city.

According to the 2017 budget presentation, see link, the fiscal conservatives want to reduce winter maintenance for all. Among other things.
  • Eliminate Driveway Windrow Clearing
  • Reduce Grass Cutting From 6 to 5 Cuts Per Season
  • Reduce Refresh of Pavement Markings – every 2 years
  • Reduce Street Sweeping on Arterial Roads to 1 per month
  • Reduce Winter Mtce for Sidewalks, Bus Stops, Bikeways

Last edited:

Back