Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

There will be a broad public promenade between these buildings and the water. Nobody is being cut off.

A promenade does not a world class waterfront make.

I visited Sydney a year and a half ago and was hugely impressed with the city and especially its waterfront. Sydney's waterfront works because there's a reason for people to go there. There's things to do and see. Take a jaunt along the promenade, take a ferry at the ferry terminal, lots of restaurants and shops close to the waterfront and in the Darling Harbour area, a smallish hotel if you're looking for an expensive place to stay, oh and did I mention a world renowned Opera House?

There's lots of condos in Sydney but they're not right smack up against the central waterfront. That's the point I'm trying to make. The foot of Yonge St. should be set aside for something grand, something for public use.

I just can't help but compare Toronto to Sydney. Visit Sydney waterfront and see the Opera House. Visit the Toronto waterfront and see Pier 27. No wonder we have problems attracting tourists to Toronto. With more lame developments like this, we might as well right the waterfront off.

In a perfect world, the city/province/ or whomever would expropriate the land, and coerce Mr. Khan to build that beautiful museum down by the lake. Now that would be a reason to visit the waterfront!

If we must swallow our "privatized/waste space" quibbles here, something about those parallel Modernist blocks (aside from the perpendicular thingy on top) reminds me of Toronto's classic piece of "Hilberseimer Modern", the mid-50s City Park apartment complex N of MLG. Which may both justify and un-justify the planning model...

If you were to take away the glass in these buildings except for the regular windows, and make the rest of it brick or precast, the design would not have made it.
Why did it make it? Just because it's "pretty"?

Impressive new sales office going up on site.

2041186385_219809894e_o.jpg

2041983710_f70d149d13_o.jpg

2041186523_39f02a12f0_o.jpg

At least the West Side Lofts building is to remain as an art gallery. No doubt this sales centre will be carted off once the building is sold.

Looks like a moveable building though....

If we never host a world's fair we can still say we once had a nice little national pavillion for some small third world country on our waterfront for a few months.

Waterfront Welcome Centre

I would hope they would be wise enough to reuse the building afterwards.

My idea would be to move it to the extreme north-west corner of the site at the bottom of Yonge Street to anchor the new public event square planned by Waterfront Toronto.

It could house public washrooms, info centre and a small cafe.

Louroz

I would hope they would be wise enough to reuse the building afterwards.

My idea would be to move it to the extreme north-west corner of the site at the bottom of Yonge Street to anchor the new public event square planned by Waterfront Toronto.

It could house public washrooms, info centre and a small cafe.

Louroz

Thats actually a really good idea! Especially considering they will need all those facilities at various points along the redeveloped waterfront. This could be one of several stations housing these amenities along the way.

There was a small rendering in The Star this past weekend - it looked fantastic.

That said, I do agree with the sentiment that it needs to be a mixed use project instead of just purely residential.

Back