Toronto 150 Queens Wharf | 96m | 29s | CreateTO | DTAH

So today's announcement was about a new strategy and program to speed up the construction of affordable housing in Toronto in general, but specifically this site and four others that they are starting on now. Our front page story is here.

Yes, this is east of Mouth of the Creek Park and north of Library District condos.

og7BTUU.png

I didn't see any timelines for this. Do we know if they are doing the park and Block 36 at the same time, and if so, do we know when? I have been anxiously awaiting the completion of this phase to finally "connect" the neighbourhood fully to Bathurst. (I realize Library District already does this but I am a little OCD on these things, and get excited about the block being done)

The big question here is whether or not the construction of the TCHC building will impact the park site, or whether it can be contained on its own property, allowing park construction to go ahead. I'd like to see the park done sooner rather than later too: I am particularly keen to see the North Linear Park connected via a trail through Mouth of the Creek Park, into and along the north side of Fort York, and onwards to the Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridges… and I'm hoping that all of that could be ready in 2017 at the earliest. To have all of the infrastructure in place along with UnderGardiner for the Canadian Sesquicentennial in 2017 would be very good news.

Meanwhile, here's an original image of KPMB's plan for Block 36 N from when it was assumed that it would go ahead at the same time as Library District Condos and the Fort York Library itself, thanks to a UT member "in the biz".

OriginalPlan.jpg

It's a very complementary plan to the rest of the block, but we will be lucky to get anything with any flair to it here. There's a renewed push on to get more affordable housing built in this city, and I don't expect that there will be much money spent on the "frills" of design. Here's hoping that the winning proposal here is attractive in some way.

Attachments

• OriginalPlan.jpg
    OriginalPlan.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 1,584
Matches what was shown in the old 2013 RFP linked on the previous page

BzevnW5.png

Just talked with one of Joe Cressy's assistants. Work on Mouth of the Creek Park is not dependent on Block 36 N — they'll have to keep to their own site. That said, that doesn't mean work starts on it tomorrow. It's likely to be going through detailed design in 2016, and to be under construction in 2017. It may also be split into two phases… but all of this will be better spelled out in a community meeting coming up in December, date to be determined. We'll keep up on this.

Just talked with one of Joe Cressy's assistants. Work on Mouth of the Creek Park is not dependent on Block 36 N — they'll have to keep to their own site. That said, that doesn't mean work starts on it tomorrow. It's likely to be going through detailed design in 2016, and to be under construction in 2017. It may also be split into two phases… but all of this will be better spelled out in a community meeting coming up in December, date to be determined. We'll keep up on this.

I know there is a meeting to discuss parks in CityPlace tentatively scheduled for December 16th. I'll provide more info once location and time is confirmed. (I believe it's going to be at the Fort York Visitors Centre)

City Council on December 9 and 10, 2015, adopted the following:

1. City Council request the Director, Affordable Housing Office to issue a Proposal Call under the new Open Door program on Block 36 North in the Railway Lands with the goal of selecting an experienced non-profit or private sector organization to develop and operate new affordable rental housing.

2. City Council request the Director, Affordable Housing Office to report by June 2016 on the results of the Proposal Call including recommending the successful proponent and to provide details on the development proposal for the purposes of leasing Block 36 North for up to 50 years to develop and operate new permanent affordable rental housing.​

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-15_13-45-37.png
    upload_2016-6-15_13-45-37.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,281
  • upload_2016-6-15_13-49-35.png
    upload_2016-6-15_13-49-35.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,228
Last edited:
Interesting perspective as I am always hoping for more colour in our (Toronto's) newer developments. I mean I guess its a bit garish looking, but it might work with library condos flanking the other side of the park space.

Back