News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 

York Downs (Warden and 16th)

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think golf courses are the next "victims" of the greenbelt -- the land is just too valuable. In ten years, Angus Glen may be the only major course left in Markham, since many of the others are already owned by developers.

The York Downs Golf and Country Club’s board was hoping to provide its membership with a report by early fall on a bid solicitation process in which four potential land development groups are interested in purchasing the land owned by the private golf course.

Owning an area covering more than 400 acres, York Downs Golf and Country Club received an unsolicited bid earlier this year of a reported $274 million.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...-streamline-bidding-process-on-16th-ave-land/

Or they will just keep a portion of the course and launch an "intimate" collection of estate homes for sale. But that bid seems a bit high, so I doubt the course will be staying.

Sale of York Downs Golf Club in Markham - 16th Avenue between Kennedy Road and Warden Avenue - has now closed - sale price was $411,860,288. Developers originally reported to be in the consortium who purchased the site (from the Markham Economist & Sun article from April 22, 2015, copied below) are: Kylemore Communities and Angus Glen Developments, Pace Developments, Metropia and Empire Communities.

York Downs members vote to sell golf course for $412M

Club eyed for development

A group of developers has offered members of York Downs Golf and Country Club on 16th Avenue in Markham $412 million for their 400-acre property.

Markham Economist & Sun

ByMichael Hayakawa

The York Downs Golf and Country Club membership has spoken.

The big issue concerning the members in good standing was an offer presented by four urban development groups to sell their property encompassing some 400 acres for $412 million.

With more than 800 members eligible to cast a ballot to accept or turn down the proposed offer, it turned out to be too enticing to pass up as close to 82 per cent agreed Tuesday to sell.

In doing so, each voting member could receive close to $200,000 before taxes.

The offer came from a consortium comprised of Kylemore Communities and Angus Glen Developments, Pace Developments, Metropia and Empire Communities.

The official transaction could take place within one to two months.

For the time being, it will be business as usual as the club prepares to open its gates to members for another season on its 27-hole course.

Established in 1922, York Downs Golf and Country Club was originally located in North York at Bathurst and Sheppard Avenues for 47 years before moving to its current location on 16th Avenue between Kennedy Road and Warden Avenue.

The golf club recently completed a $4 million renovation of its nine-hole South and West courses.

Last edited:
https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...roposed-development-for-markham-s-york-downs/

Density focus of meeting on proposed development for Markham's York Downs

Density was on the menu when the York Downs development subcommittee met at Markham council chambers Monday night before a sizable crowd.

Coun. Amanda Collucci, who chaired the meeting, was pleased with the turnout and the blend of those who both supported and voiced their concerns with the proposed 2,400-unit residential development north of 16th Avenue between Warden Avenue and Kennedy Road.

"It was important to listen to all the residents," Collucci said.

She indicated this first of four subcommittee meetings looked at Markham's history around density planning and said the city had passed an intensification target of 60 per cent in 2010, above the provincial target of 40 per cent.

20170306_201947___Super_Portrait.jpg

Just sad. I worked their in High School. And while $200,000 sounds like a lot of cash to many people the vast majority of YD members don't need any money. This all boils down to greed if you ask me. Back in 1999 when I worked in the clubhouse the clubs initiation fee was $45,000. I can only assume it's at least 60 to 75 to join now. The clubhouse is a gem as well.

Back