News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 682     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 309     0 

World Juniors

... and BC was a great host. Toronto/Southern Ontario should definitely make a bid to host the World Juniors when it returns to Canada in 2009.

Man, I completely forgot about this. Nice work, boys!

Watched the game. Good stuff, but by the 3rd period I found myself partially urging on the Russians just so the game would seem like a bit more of a challenge. :)

Next test: The Olympics.

Toronto and MLSE - Air Canada Centre is looking at putting a bid forward with Mississauga and the Herhsey Centre as a co-host.

Other possible co-hosts is the Ricoh Coliseum or the new MLSE operated arean in downtown Oshawa.

However, I believe the Herhsey Centre has the advantage with an intimate mid sized arena, plus an addition seven practive rinks, plenty of free parking, previous experience as host the World Women's Championships, and a larger base of Mississauga corporate sponsors.

Louroz

Vancouver made a good host because it has two NHL-sized arenas (15 000+ capacity) within city limits: the Pacific Coliseum (the Vancouver Canucks' old home, current home of the WHL Giants) and GM Place (current home of the Canucks, the venue for the finals). It was able to maintain a large crowd without any disruptions to the Canucks' home games.

Toronto currently only has one NHL-sized arena (ACC), so attendance could be lower if Toronto hosts it in 2009. Maybe SkyDome should be used as a venue too... I wonder what the scene would be if Canada wins gold in front of 50 000+ people at SkyDome?

What happens if Canada doesn't make into the final? You might have an empty skydome?

The IHF will never agree to having the Skydome as a venue.

My bet will be a Air Canada - Hershey Centre bid for 2009 will be put forward.

Louroz

Copps Coliseum is a mere hour long bus or train ride from the ACC.

Copps: 17 500
Ricoh: 10 000

Congratulations to the boys.

In the past, when the tournament was in Canada it always went to smaller Canadian cities like Saskatoon and Halifax where junior hockey is a big deal but those cities did such a great job of supporting the tournament and breaking attendance records each time that the tournament really needs to be in big cities with NHL sized buildings in order to be considered a success which is unfortunate. Because of that I can see Toronto getting a future tournament although I think that smaller communities would receive more benefit and deserve the chance to host it.

Having said that, if the tournament is based in toronto, I wouldn't be suprised if the second site was London or even Kingston. the second site can't be too close to the main site. fans in oshawa aren't going to pay to see switzerland and finland if they can hop on the GO and watch Canada play.

What happens if Canada doesn't make into the final? You might have an empty skydome?

Do you watch hockey, Louroz? In the last World Cup of Hockey, the round-robin game at the ACC between Russia and Slovakia was played before a pretty decent crowd. Look at the attendance for non-Canadian playoff games at the World Juniors in Vancouver: the bronze medal game between Finland and USA drew 15 107 (mostly anti-American Vancouverites), and even the fifth place game between Sweden and Czech Republic drew 10 684. Canadian fans have gone beyond just rooting Canada at international hockey tournaments... they go to any game where there's good hockey (pretty much the same happens at other international tournaments... the soccer World Cup, for example).

Because of that I can see Toronto getting a future tournament although I think that smaller communities would receive more benefit and deserve the chance to host it.

I've read an article in the National Post about just that. They have suggested a Toronto-Kitchener/Waterloo or a Toronto-London matchup.

wyliepoon,

I don't watch hockey, however I know a lot about organizing large scale sporting events, and Canadians aren't going to fill the 50,000 seat Rogers Centre if Canada was not in the final.

A 15,000 seat arena is easy to fill, a 50,000 seat one is a whole different story.

It's a proposal that will never be approved as you can not guarantee filled stands.

As for co-hosting, again the logistics of going anywhere outside of the GTA is not going to fly. So Toronto co-hosting with Kitchener, London and Hamilton isn't almost out of the question. Those cities are able to make a bid on their own, however, Toronto is the clear frontrunner at the moment.

The only serious proposal which was reported in the Toronto Star is the Air Canada with either the Ricoh Coliseum, Hershey Centre or the Oshawa Downtown Arena.

Louroz

I think Hamilton would make a good host.

I think Hamilton hosted it in 1986...many other places should get it before Hamilton does again.

My pick...

All MLSE

ACC, Ricoh, and Oshawa....

Still haven't rubbed it in my Russian friends' face enough! GO CANADA!

Back