171     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 353     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 722     0 

Winterlicious 2006

E

ecsider

I'm looking through the winterlicious restaurants for 2006. Did they raise the dinner prices again??

Winterlicious 2006

I'm not sure if it's only me, but i've never picked a summer or winter licious meal/restaurant I liked. Maybe because it's a set menu and lower cost that's affecting the quality. But I'll keep trying these out nonetheless.

Any recommendations on this season's list, I'm eyeing Noce and Monte Cristo since i haven't been before.

ecsider:

Overall, the list of participating restaurants is good but not great. I've no idea what your previous dining experience is like, or what your preferences are, but try these if you haven't already:

Boba
Canoe (late dinner only - way too many obnoxious suits at lunch & after work)
Oro
Pangaea

I've not tried these yet, but have heard good things:

Biff's
Brassaii
Bymark (again, beware of suits at lunch)
Celestin
Crush
Lalot
Niagara Street Cafe

Also, you might find this helpful:

www.torontolife.com/cityg...urants.cfm

-------------------------

Hey babel - did you ever get around to trying Susur?

Nosur.

But I'm trying Pangaea with some friends after work on Friday February 3rd.

Lalot is quite nice. I think i ate some kind of green bean thing.

I'll be trying Toula this time around...
any other suggestions

I haven't been to Westin's restaurant for years, but Toula might sound interesting. Heck, i have a better appreciation for revolving restaurants now after being pleasantly surprised at 360 recently

I've tried several incl. Canoe and Bymark. The suits don't bother me but I didn't like Canoe.

I think i'm going to try the Laurentian Room, Boiler House, and the Old Mill.

I haven't been to Westin's restaurant for years, but Toula might sound interesting. Heck, i have a better appreciation for revolving restaurants now after being pleasantly surprised at 360 recently

i believe Toula is no longer a revolving restaurant... making 360 the only one in toronto.

The Winterlicious menu at Pangaea was pretty good, though we had to wait 20 minutes for our table. My duck was delicious. However, Just Say No when the waiter smiles enthusiastically and asks if you want bottled fizzy water - they charged us $16 for two bottles.

We tried to get reservations for North 44 but after 2 days of their phone being constantly busy (Winterlicious reservations taken only between 10am-2pm), weekends were all booked.

FYI: if you have an Amex card, you can reserve a couple of days before reservations officially open.

We tried Innocenti, which was very pleasant. Although I have no criticisms, however, I cannot think of a compelling reason to recommend it to anyone.

I took my boss to Southern Accent during Summerlicious and did thoroughly enjoy the meal, and would recommend it to anyone. We celebrated SimplyDan's birthday there too. I'll go back any time.

I'll second BuildTO's assesment of Innocenti - it was fine, but not outstanding in any way (other than the gathering!).

I've done 3 other Winterliciouses so far this year: Batifole (the best French Food in Chinatown (East, on Gerrard) - their slogan) was quite good.

Byzantium on Church was surprisingly good.

Boulevard Café on Harbord was similarly delicious.

All three of those are $25 dollar meals, as was Innocenti. You don't have to do the $35ers to eat well.

Last night, after the Sewell talk, four forum members, and one other, went to Oyster Boy ( 872 Queen West ). We didn't try the Winterlicious menu, but I think everyone enjoyed the food.

I went to Batifole last year with some friends - the Bunny Terrine could've been tuna for all I could tell, but the beef cheeks were very good. My friends had similarly mixed results.

There is an excellent - and cheap - Vietnamese restaurant in Chinatown East. I gave their card to cdl42 last night, to coax him east of the Don, so I can't remember the name though. It is on the north side of Gerrard, the first restaurant east of Broadview. A small place with great food and a nice atmosphere.

Last night I went back to Oyster Boy with some co-workers. Everybody was very happy with each course, except for the two of us who had the fish and chips. We couldn't figure out what the strange tasting fish was. The waiter said it was tilapia. Horrors!!

Well, what did I have there two weeks ago BB? That was great. Maybe the fish changes based on the catch of the day. Is Tilapia one of the politically incorrect nearly fished-out fish? Or was it just odd?

Back