News   May 08, 2024
 672     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.5K     3 

Which PCC?

S

stokell

Presidents' Conference Committee (PCC) Streetcar History

The Toronto Transportation Commission, now known as the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) introduced the Presidents' Conference Committee (PCC) streetcar to Toronto transit patrons in 1938. This type of vehicle would go on to serve as the backbone of the transit system until 1954, when the Yonge subway line opened. A total of 745 PCC streetcars–the largest such fleet in the world–served the residents of Toronto from the PCC streetcar's inception until December 8, 1995, when PCC streetcar service ended.

Two vintage PCC's, # 4500 and # 4549, have been retained for special charter and sightseeing service.

Over the 57 years the PCC streetcar served transit users, Toronto has changed from a nondescript small city to the cosmopolitan and world-class community it has become today.

So the questionis:
My partner and I are planning a celebration and though we would like to charter a PCC. #4500 or 4549? Which one would you choose?

They're identical as far as I know. What would really be cool is if you could charter the restored Witt, 2766. But I don't think the TTC allows the Witt to be booked for charters without another streetcar to follow it in case it breaks down and has to be pushed.

Oh, so pretty. The TTC should run some of those in regular service (could be done by putting that chassis on a new truck).

Here is PCC #4500.

pcc.jpg

As far as I know they're exactly the same-- beauties.

I noticed these streetcars when I was watching Videodrome the other day.

Back