2.2K     2 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Where to start looking?

LOZA789

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have enjoyed reading the posts over the last few months and have learned a lot. My boyfriend and I are very much hoping to find work in Toronto and move over from Yorkshire, England. Problem is, we have no idea what areas are best to start looking for housing and work. Can anyone offer us a little much appreciated advice?

We don't have any children, I work in accounts and my boyfriend is a part qualified electrician who works for the local water company. We would like somewhere thats close the the cinema, eating out, country walks etc....but isn't in the middle of a noisey or busy districy. We are coming for a two week visit soon and wondered if anyone can help us by suggesting where in Toronto would be good for us look at and where should we avoid?

Many thanks
Loraine

Hi Loraine,

Glad to hear you're thinking about moving to Toronto. Hopefully we can help you focus your search.

Another site I would highly recommend is http://boldts.net/Toronto.shtml, as it has photos and descriptions of different neighbourhoods, not just the houses within them.

I would also recommend that you rent a place to live when you first arrive, as that will give you time to get to know the city well enough to decide on the best place to live. There are so many options that it'll take you more than two weeks to get to discover them all.

The first question should probably be if you will be buying a car, as that will affect your decision significantly. When you say close by, do you mean walking distance or a short drive? With a car it will be easy to drive to the movies or a hiking trail. Without one you can still live in a great neighbourhood, but you'll need to be more selective.

When you talk about a busy area, how do you define it? What would be an example of your ideal place to live?

We seem to have more questions for you than answers! Where you will want to live, on a more permanent basis, will depend largely on where you will be working, and what kind of commute to and from work you will be willing to put up with.

Good advice was given above re: rent for a year before you think of buying, and use the time to orient yourselves.

Cinemas are located in many areas, although if you are real cinema nuts, smaller ones catering to more specialized tastes or second-run movies are in the central city. Real "country walks" are out in the country :) and will require a car to access, although many pleasant walks are available in various parts of the city (Lake Ontario urban waterfront, High Park, several nice river valley ravines), and can be accessed by transit.

Eating out ... good Lord, where to begin? Every ethnic cuisine is represented, and most can be found in the central area, as well as many suburbs.

I don't know what the process would be for your boyfriend to get his work qualifications recognized here. That is found to be a problem by some immigrants. On the brighter side, work in construction is plentiful, if that is his area.

Back