News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 737     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

When customer service goes a bit wrong....

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
So....most people here know I love to cook.

I also have an aversion to most fast food, as I simply don't care for the quality.

But once in a while..........I can get a sudden impulse.......

Tonight was such a night.........I was actually out to scoop a few items at the grocery store.

But across the way was KFC; which had the childhood nostalgia inspiring scent of its chicken in the cool February air.........

I thought........F@#k it; I'll just grab a couple pieces of chicken, a Breast and a Rib.......I have some Cilantro-Lime coleslaw at home..........nice change of pace.

So I wandered in.....

First thing is the staff person attempting to yell in my direction through her mask............while I can't make out the words.........I realize I'm the 6th customer, when they're trying to limit to 5.

Now, you need to know, this is normally a sit-down KFC and could easily hold, with double-social distancing, 15 people.......but w/e, I step back outside into the cold for about 3-4 minutes waiting for a customer to exit.

So I go back in......thereafter, stand in a line with only 1 person in front of me, but 3 waiting for their orders.

The person at the cash is having a very slow transaction......

Eventually that's done............someone else comes in the store marches right to the counter.........I think a Skip driver.......

The staff have an animated conversation as he shows them his phone, insisting his order is ready; and the KFC staff insist it won't be ready for 30 minutes according to their system.

Other people wander in.......the staff doesn't complain this time.....

Instead she wanders into the kitchen area........

She is not seen again for a good 6-7 minutes..........

At this point, I'm getting a wee bit impatient............but I figure I'm a good 12-15 minutes in......I'm next in line..............

She spends the next several minutes clearing the back orders.........for the 3 people waiting.

Finally, after about 20 minutes, I get to place my order.............remember............all I want is 2 pieces of chicken, a Rib and a Breast or 2 of either (less greasy).

Do you know what I'm told???

It will be 20 minutes to make the chicken, we don't have any white meat.

A chicken outlet, with warming ovens that can handle several dozen pieces is out of chicken, at dinner time..............

No sign at the door; no telling the waiting customer at any point........... You don't think they might imagine a customer might be there to buy chicken do ya?

Now, I have every sympathy for front-line customer-facing staff in retail; and I understand that screw ups happen.

But there is no apology either............when I politely expressed a measure of exasperation.........I got a "We're busy, what do you expect me to do"

I'm going to go make my dinner now................

But across the way was KFC; which had the childhood nostalgia inspiring scent of its chicken in the cool February air.........

I thought........F@#k it; I'll just grab a couple pieces of chicken, a Breast and a Rib.......I have some Cilantro-Lime coleslaw at home..........nice change of pace.

So I wandered in.....
You did what?!?!
😳
At this point, I'm getting a wee bit impatient............but I figure I'm a good 12-15 minutes in......I'm next in line..............

She spends the next several minutes clearing the back orders.........for the 3 people waiting.

Finally, after about 20 minutes, I get to place my order.............remember............all I want is 2 pieces of chicken, a Rib and a Breast or 2 of either (less greasy).
And then, when presented with the opportunity to change your mind and mend your ill-gotten choice to ever have entered the place, you play yourself with a nice dose of the ol' sunk cost fallacy!

Do yourself a favour. :p Did you learn your lesson?

This guy's dinners he tells me about and he's up in a KFC trying to act beneath his culinary station. And it all failed....the universe was trying to tell ya something.

Thanks for the laugh though. :D

Gad, we don't mind the occasional fast food but I don't think I've been in a KFC in 15 years - just not a fan of beaks and feet. We recently decided to do fast food once a week. Around here they are all very busy, particularly on weekends. We have a Harvey's that is run like a military operations with a manager/franchisee who is right in there and seems to be well like by his staff. Last night the missus decided on Chinese. Our usual go-to has been slowly disappointing me over the last while, for their service, not food, and last night I called and was told two hours (which often means 1 1/2 - 3). I called another; 45 minutes - I went in, it was ready, and steady parade of 1s and 2s picking up their orders, and friendly service. I'm converted.

Our daughter and S-in-L, both of whom are good and adventurous cooks and bakers, have decided to occasionally use a couple of the food delivery apps as a diversion and are suitably impressed. They find it more expensive than cooking themselves but cheaper than take-out, even from real restaurants offering take out service. We've tried to get the wife on board but she had a 'delicate' digestive system and ill-inclined to experiment.

Gad, we don't mind the occasional fast food but I don't think I've been in a KFC in 15 years - just not a fan of beaks and feet. We recently decided to do fast food once a week. Around here they are all very busy, particularly on weekends. We have a Harvey's that is run like a military operations with a manager/franchisee who is right in there and seems to be well like by his staff. Last night the missus decided on Chinese. Our usual go-to has been slowly disappointing me over the last while, for their service, not food, and last night I called and was told two hours (which often means 1 1/2 - 3). I called another; 45 minutes - I went in, it was ready, and steady parade of 1s and 2s picking up their orders, and friendly service. I'm converted.

Our daughter and S-in-L, both of whom are good and adventurous cooks and bakers, have decided to occasionally use a couple of the food delivery apps as a diversion and are suitably impressed. They find it more expensive than cooking themselves but cheaper than take-out, even from real restaurants offering take out service. We've tried to get the wife on board but she had a 'delicate' digestive system and ill-inclined to experiment.
IDK how KFC stays in business.

I also have an aversion to most fast food, as I simply don't care for the quality.

Tonight was such a night.........I was actually out to scoop a few items at the grocery store.

So I wandered in.....

First thing is the staff person attempting to yell in my direction through her mask............while I can't make out the words.........I realize I'm the 6th customer, when they're trying to limit to 5.

Now, you need to know, this is normally a sit-down KFC and could easily hold, with double-social distancing, 15 people.......but w/e, I step back outside into the cold for about 3-4 minutes waiting for a customer to exit.

So I go back in......thereafter, stand in a line with only 1 person in front of me, but 3 waiting for their orders.

Eventually that's done............someone else comes in the store marches right to the counter.........I think a Skip driver.......

The staff have an animated conversation as he shows them his phone, insisting his order is ready; and the KFC staff insist it won't be ready for 30 minutes according to their system.

A chicken outlet, with warming ovens that can handle several dozen pieces is out of chicken, at dinner time..............

No sign at the door; no telling the waiting customer at any point........... You don't think they might imagine a customer might be there to buy chicken do ya?

Now, I have every sympathy for front-line customer-facing staff in retail; and I understand that screw ups happen.

But there is no apology either............when I politely expressed a measure of exasperation.........I got a "We're busy, what do you expect me to do"

Your crucial mistake was being willing to wait 20 soul-crushing minutes BEFORE they took your order, despite all the red flags that you took note of leading up to that! You should have walked out after 5 minutes when it was clear that the lady had no interest in customer service 🤣

So I wandered in.....

That's just customer service 2020 version spilling over into this year. I have noticed a huge change in customers service this past year. Everyone is picking a fight. Trying to be in control where everything is so out of control. Add in stupidity and here we are. I understand everyone is stressed, especially fast-food workers or anyone else dealing with the public, but it's no excuse for a surly attitude and lack of customer service.

I nearly walked out of Metro one day, the cashier was belittling people for not standing on the floor marker, i was about two inches off the marker and she yells Ma'am"! Ma'am"! I yell back I"M A SIR. the way i was dressed that day, i probably looked like a woman. with my purple face mask, with a brightly coloured Hermès scarf. but still, there was no need to scream at me!!!! As i put the items on the belt, she was saying to me, "slow down!" "Hang on!" Good thing i was in a good mood that day, or i would have left all the items on the conveyor belt and walked out of the store.

Early on in the pandemic, some grocery stores banned reusable bags, the one grocery store i was at, the security guard was on a power trip, he was screaming and kicking people out of line with reusable bags, umm.. dude it's a reusable bag, not a gun! :rolleyes:

When i go anywhere now where i have to deal with people, I take a deep, deep breath, remain calm. Lots of "Ken's" and "Karen's" out there, they can be rude and angry as they want, but I will remain calm and at peace.

That's just customer service 2020 version spilling over into this year. I have noticed a huge change in customers service this past year. Everyone is picking a fight. Trying to be in control where everything is so out of control. Add in stupidity and here we are. I understand everyone is stressed, especially fast-food workers or anyone else dealing with the public, but it's no excuse for a surly attitude and lack of customer service.

I nearly walked out of Metro one day, the cashier was belittling people for not standing on the floor marker, i was about two inches off the marker and she yells Ma'am"! Ma'am"! I yell back I"M A SIR. the way i was dressed that day, i probably looked like a woman. with my purple face mask, with a brightly coloured Hermès scarf. but still, there was no need to scream at me!!!! As i put the items on the belt, she was saying to me, "slow down!" "Hang on!" Good thing i was in a good mood that day, or i would have left all the items on the conveyor belt and walked out of the store.

Early on in the pandemic, some grocery stores banned reusable bags, the one grocery store i was at, the security guard was on a power trip, he was screaming and kicking people out of line with reusable bags, umm.. dude it's a reusable bag, not a gun! :rolleyes:

When i go anywhere now where i have to deal with people, I take a deep, deep breath, remain calm. Lots of "Ken's" and "Karen's" out there, they can be rude and angry as they want, but I will remain calm and at peace.

These days I go out only for medical appointments. At Manulife I have indoor access to a grocery store, the LCBO and Shoppers, but I use Runner and Instacart because there are idiots everywhere. Last time I went to the LCBO, the guy waiting in front of me at the cash was wearing a flimsy bandana, and the guy in front of him had his mask under his nose. I've given up trying to expect common sense.

These days I go out only for medical appointments. At Manulife I have indoor access to a grocery store, the LCBO and Shoppers, but I use Runner and Instacart because there are idiots everywhere. Last time I went to the LCBO, the guy waiting in front of me at the cash was wearing a flimsy bandana, and the guy in front of him had his mask under his nose. I've given up trying to expect common sense.

Ooooh, I'm taking a stab in the not-so-dark here and guessing you have not driven a vehicle in this town or anywhere near it in some time.

As much as your idiots may be such, I'm not sure you know just how bad it gets. :p

Back