News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

What's worth preserving when it comes to architecture?

jaycola

Member Bio
Reaction score
I drove past the Food Basics on Yonge at Cummer today and noticed cladding going up around the V sloped roof and chunks of the fieldstone columns knocked out. The building is an example of Miid Century Modern architecture common to the retail plaza in the 50's.

I guess the questions is whether these buildings should be saved and restored or demolished and rebuilt?
Is this retail style worthy of Historical Designation?
4452190866_75c9dc3c60_b.jpg

4452189616_a397397fa5_b.jpg

4452188096_4bf7555fbf_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well, duh, why not. And apropos is the impending demolition, further south on Yonge, of the *other* rainbow-roofed Grand Union/Steinberg/Miracle/Dominion/Metro store, for Hullmark...

there was a push to have a plaza in scarborough @ victoria park / ellesmere (i think) designated as 'heritage' by a local councillor for the same reasons as above, to prevent a developer from purchasing the property to only bulldoze the existing buildings and plonk down a few towers.

Wait, that plaza is coming down? What's the project? I didn't seem to notice anything when I was back in Toronto last Dec..

Thanks. Jaycola's pictues actually didn't load for me the first time, so it looks like this is just a renovation now, not coming down just yet.

there was a push to have a plaza in scarborough @ victoria park / ellesmere (i think) designated as 'heritage' by a local councillor for the same reasons as above, to prevent a developer from purchasing the property to only bulldoze the existing buildings and plonk down a few towers.

The plaza at Vic Park and Ellesmere was eventually "listed" as having heritage value which offers far less protection than if the building was "designated". Still, it is nice to see that the value of this period of architecture is starting to be appreciated.

Here is the differnce between listed and designated taken from the City's website

"Listed" is a term used for properties for which City Council has adopted a recommendation to be included on the Inventory. The recommendations are based on criteria that relate to architecture, history, and neighbourhood context. Their inclusion on the Inventory is a clear statement that the City would like to see the heritage attributes of these properties preserved.

Properties that have been individually designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, or are located within a Heritage Conservation District designated under Part V, are referred to as "designated". Designated properties are also included on the Inventory and are identified by a by-law number.

Also, here is the report while I'm at it.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-17615.pdf

The questions is whether a building such as this can have value that is worth preserving?
This is an example of an historical style of commercial architecture but is ther value in preserving this?
This is, in modern terms bad design. Not in style but land use, street presence, sustainability...
This is an example of how things were done wrong in the past. This is a auto focused development, single level, set way back from the street, surrounded by parking.
It's the exact opposite of what we advocate in good urban design.
So, the questions remains, what in Architecture is worth preserving?

jaycola, the answer goes to the heart of why we preserve things. If your answer to that question is that we are out to preserve only the best architecture from an aesthetic point of view, or to preserve the best examples of urban planning, this might not be saved. If your answer is that preservation is to retain some indication of our collective past as reflected in its built form, then it might be worth saving some instances of this type of building. I tend to prefer the former to the latter, because questions of architectural merit tend to fluctuate over time, as do examples of what is held up to be good urban planning. For me, ideally, heritage preservation would seek to retain some examples from a wide spectrum of building types, styles, and uses, and the best approach is a humble one. Though it may seem impossible to us to imagine that certain building types or styles have anything to tell us, the best course of action is to preserve from a fairly wide array of samples. There's a good analogy with preservation of species - we ought not concentrate on just the cute ones or the ones that serve some obvious or commercial purpose, but we might acknowledge that, even if we don't see the value in something, it might be best to have it there, waiting to give us a lesson later on.

For the record, this is the "official" answer to your question, somewhat abridged:

A building, structure or site may be considered important for a variety of reasons. It may have architectural value or it may relate to a significant person, an important event in the history of the city or a critical time in the development of one of its neighbourhoods. A building may be well crafted or represent a characteristic of the community. A building does not have to be "old" to be an important heritage property.

This is, in modern terms bad design. Not in style but land use, street presence, sustainability...
This is an example of how things were done wrong in the past. This is a auto focused development, single level, set way back from the street, surrounded by parking.
It's the exact opposite of what we advocate in good urban design.

Saying 'eww, a plaza...let's just blow it up real good' can be considered a *worse* offense from an urban planning/design perspective than the plaza itself. The parking can be removed...the open space is actually serendipitous from a transit standpoint because a future Cummer/Drewry station would have a great spot for a stairway/elevator/entrance hut. It would also make a great patio if large restaurants took over the building. There's nothing inherently wrong with some one-storey buildings. The streetwall along Yonge here is already, well, 'sporadic' is putting it mildly. We can keep the Food Basics building and replace the rest of the plaza, and enlarge the ground floor of the short office tower at the south end to 'meet the street' better...we don't just need to bulldoze and start over from the bedrock up. If the Food Basics didn't have that stone and that fun roof, peraps the entire plaza would be more expendable, but it does exist...as soon as the store is renovated, perhaps it will cease to merit saving, though every building merits at least a debate, even if it's just some heritage inspector going around stamping everything with a YES, NO, or DEPENDS ON CONTEXT. No one's going to chain themselves to this Food Basics, but consider what the plaza might be replaced with...some horrible precast pillar thing would not be an improvement even though it came right up to the sidewalk.

And how is this unsustainable in any non-buzzword way? Does the setback mean people will be picked off by birds of prey between the sidewalk and the door? Does this one-storey building prevent neighbouring sites from being redeveloped with tall buildings? Mess with this plaza and a supermarket may not return...that's a kiss of death for healthy neighbourhoods.

jaycola, the answer goes to the heart of why we preserve things. If your answer to that question is that we are out to preserve only the best architecture from an aesthetic point of view, or to preserve the best examples of urban planning, this might not be saved. If your answer is that preservation is to retain some indication of our collective past as reflected in its built form, then it might be worth saving some instances of this type of building. I tend to prefer the former to the latter, because questions of architectural merit tend to fluctuate over time, as do examples of what is held up to be good urban planning. [/I]

Did you reverse your "former" and your "latter"?

Back