News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

What happens after Queen Elizabeth II?

babel,

Your crystal ball version sounds far more interesting and entertaining than what probably awaits us: Chuck and his friendly herbal chats.

Snore.

Royalty is supposed to be entertainment, isn't it? Does it have any other function otherwise?

Yeah, I know lotsa people who'd like to see Natalie Portman's V...er, waitaminnit, that crosses a gender-friendly taste line, doesn't it

bizorky> Yeah, Fight Club was, in it's way....but it was wrapped up in all that i-am-a-real-man(no i'm not!) stuff which at first viewing was sort of neat, but got tired (maybe bad timing as there seemed to be a lot of late 1990s i-am-a-man crap). And I do really really like David Fincher (the new Kubrick).

I think because V is so overtly political and taking aim at Fox News and the Bush administration, and exploring society-wide fear (albeit over the top at times -- but it is a hollywood film afterall) ranks it above the consumerism/social subversion of a Fight Club (for me, anyway).

I smiled all the way out of the theatre last sunday, and wiped away some tears, because the V character was such an interesting, smart and sympathetic creation -- a perfect anti-hero.

The comic book people and Alan Moore supporters hate V because (amoung their usual complains about comic-to-movie adaptation) because instead of V being an anachist, he represents liberalism, fighting the neo-cons who have taken over Britain. Which is fine, that's a relevant and real tension. In V, i liked the way it portrayed ordinary Britons coming around to him, figuring out the government is lying and getting angry enough to do something. That would not happen with anarchy, as it will always be fringe, but the liberal thing could very well happen.

(sorry for the poorly written rainy saturday morning film review)

I'll echo ap's recommendation on Brick, particularly if you are a fan of film noir. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the slacker Bogie.

shawn,

I mentioned Fight Club largely because I don't think such a film would be made in Hollywood today. But based upon your positive experience, I will be going to see V. I am not a big comic reader either, so I won't be making any comparisons.

I saw V for Vendetta tonight... everyone go out and see it, it's great.

I saw Friends With Money on Friday - now there's a movie worth seeing - great characters, great dialogue, great acting.

Over here the 80th has been one huge yawn, except for my Mother's passing interest.

When Chuck and Di were spitting venom at one another ten years ago the Queen's 70th was totally ignored.

Really? Because BBC World and the UK papers have been going completely apeshit over it.

HM's 60th birthday was also a big deal - church service at St. George's, carriage procession through Windsor, then masses of daffodils at Buck House. It was still the time when Fergie seemed fresh and new, and not the cheap tramp she really is.

Back