2.7K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 618     0 

What happens after Queen Elizabeth II?

S

samplain

I know this has been brought up before, but its the spry ol' lady's 80th bday. She's had a big part in our culture as Canadians. Been there from Colony to Consititution. What happens after?

"The Queen is dead. Long live the King." is what happens. The new monarch's reign begins when the previous monarch dies. The transition is automatic. There is never not a monarch.

There's an idea: Queen For A Day! We all take turns being on the bills. Why not? We can get our mugs on vanity postage stamps.

If she lives as long as her Mom, Betty will be there until 2028. The succession might look something like this:

HOUSE OF WINDSOR:
Elizabeth II ( 1952-2028 )
Charles III ( 2028-2029 )
William V ( 2029 - 2044 )
Britney ( 2044-2050 )

Interregnum ( 2050-2058 )

RESTORATION ( HOUSE OF ESSEX )
Harry ( 2058-2064 )
Xtina ( 2064-2075 )
Mohammed I ( 2075-2102 )
Mohammed II ( 2102-2136 )

I'm all for moving Liz'z countenance off our money and stamps. I think I heard something the other day about us being independent now?

Lets hope the old bat doesn't kick the can for a while. The less Charles the better.

There'll be a big-arse bye bye Betty party in auld London towne?

Queen Camilla....... uh, yee haw?

Babel - do you really think Prince William will only live to 62?

Mpolo, I THINK, but I'm not entirely certain, that the first bills and coins with The Queen on them were issued in 1953. But it might have been as late as 1954.

Sheesh, everyone knows what happened next. The Queen Mary II
queenmaryII-thumb.jpg

ap:

Looking into one of my crystal balls I see Wills and his wife Tiffany dying under mysterious circumstances in 2044. Then his drug addled daughter Britney succeeds, and a reign of terror begins. She is eventually overthrown, held in the specially refurbished Tower, and beheaded there in 2050.

Republican sentiment grips the land.

But it is all too much for the monarchy-loving Brits, and after a few years dotty old Prince Harry is put on the throne in what can only be described as a Restoration comedy. His vapid daughter Xtina becomes queen upon his death, and she is succeeded in turn by her son Mohammed, who is followed by his son, also a Mohammed.

Beyond that, the crystal dims, becomes cloudy and difficult to read ...

Oh well, just so long as Mohammed I & II are in communion with the Church of England as required by the constitution, we'll muddle through as ever.

This reminds me to say that you should all go see V for Vendetta. Best movie i've seen in ages and ages.

I've already made the decision not to see it. Can't stand Natalie Portman, I don't read comic books, and I find movies based on comic books generally unsatisfying.

I highly recommend Brick though.

No no no......no.

I dislike comics too (well, i'm "not into" them -- and haven't read the V comic in particular) -- so i just judged it on a movie (and i REALLY dislike the Matrix series and agree with your comment about comic book movies).

But the V movie is wonderfully subversive. Overtly subversive at times, but I can't think of a big hollywood movie as subversive since the 1970s. It was a joy to watch, and listen. And the V character is lovely. And the movie was beautiful, and not overrun with CGI. And London was great, as a staring role. And both Stephen Fry and Rae are great. (great).

Portman was fine in it too. Just right I thought.

Go....gogogo....big huge movies aren't usually this good.

Back