News   May 30, 2024
 2K     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 30, 2024
 621     0 

Waterloo History Museum (Moriyama + Teshima)

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Moriyama + Teshima Architects of Toronto in association with the Walter Fedy Partnership of Kitchener to design the new Region of Waterloo History Museum

The Region of Waterloo History Museum, to be built at Doon Heritage Crossroads, will be "an architectural statement integrated with the landscape" and "symbolic of the ethics and vision of our time," according to the team hired by the Region to design the new museum and Visitor Orientation Centre.

Regional Council approved a recommendation by the Museum Steering Committee to hire Moriyama + Teshima Architects of Toronto in association with the Walter Fedy Partnership of Kitchener to design the new Region of Waterloo History Museum and Visitor Orientation Centre. The exhibits at the museum will be completed by a team of designers led by VUE Design of Toronto.

Assisting with the project and ensuring the museum and exhibits "reflect the stories of the entire region," is local historian and author Kenneth McLaughlin, professor of history at St. Jerome's University at the University of Waterloo.

"Regional Council is confident the team they have hired will help us create a Regional History Museum and Visitor Orientation Centre that will help give our community a sense of pride and identity, and reflect the unique perspectives and spirit of all those who have and will continue to call this region home," said Regional Chair Ken Seiling. "Our vision is to create an institution that will appeal to local residents, serve as a valuable resource for students of all ages, and create a tourist destination for visitors with whom we wish to share our story."

The new museum will house permanent and temporary exhibition space, as well as classrooms, a theatre and other education facilities. The site will also include orientation exhibits to the 1914 living history village at Doon Heritage Crossroads, adding indoor assembly spaces for school groups and community events.

Since 1958, Moriyama + Teshima has played a leadership role in major institutional projects ranging from the new Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, the Bata Shoe Museum and the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto, the River Run Centre in Guelph and Science North in Sudbury.

Over the past 57 years, the Walter Fedy Partnership has constructed facilities throughout Waterloo Region, including the Cambridge and Kitchener YMCAs, Regional Police Headquarters, Kidsability Centre for Child Development, Hespeler Memorial Arena and The Record's head office.

Members of the VUE design team have experience in museum exhibit design across Canada and around the world, including the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Ottawa, the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, the Great Lakes Maritime Centre in Michigan, the National Museum of Science and Industry in the United Kingdom and the Saudi Arabian National Museum in Riyadh. McLaughlin is former chair of the Waterloo Regional Heritage Foundation and has been involved with museums in the local community; he served as a member of the National Advisory Council for Museums in Canada.

The design of the new museum is expected to be completed by the late spring of 2008 and construction is scheduled to begin in the fall of 2008, pending approval of capital funding by Regional Council. The opening ceremony is planned for July 1, 2012, the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Waterloo Historical Society. The total cost of the project is estimated at $22.7 million.

Based on the last few lines above, they are ahead of construction here, unless the opening ceremony is going to take place a year after a soft opening, or two years after the front doors opened.

Below are photos taken on May 25th showing the exterior of the building complete, with landscaping still underway. The front desk is currently staffed, to issue tickets for Doon Pioneer Village I assume, (I did not have the time to run inside), but exhibits will not open until 2011. There are two good webpages worth reading up on this interesting project; here at the Region on Waterloo site on the project, and here on the Doon Pioneer Village webpage. The first includes a good number of renderings.

WatMus1.jpg

WatMus2.jpg

WatMus3.jpg

WatMus4.jpg

WatMus5.jpg

WatMus6.jpg

WatMus7.jpg

What a beautiful building (a very nice use of colour). Thanks for the pictures.

The colour is just fantastic. Over the last few years, I've seen an evolution in the use of colour in contemporary Ontario architecture: from neutral colours always used to elementary doses of bright yellow/red/green/blue to more unique palettes like on this building. It really makes it look like an exciting building, which is what the museum of Waterloo needs. Now I want to visit it.

I live down the street from this building, its so amazing to see. They were planning to squeeze it into Downtown Kitchener, not sure why it was moved to Doon. It is a beautiful building, love the design.

I live down the street from this building, its so amazing to see. They were planning to squeeze it into Downtown Kitchener, not sure why it was moved to Doon. It is a beautiful building, love the design.

I think it's because they already owned the land out at Doon. A lot of regional buildings (i.e. police headquarters) are located in the no man's land between Kitchener and Cambridge.

Cool building, though. I like it very much.

Back