News   Mar 28, 2024
 420     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 724     0 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 199 73.2%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
My concern is that having only one route to get Portlands cars in and out of service puts things on a shaky footing, especially when that route east of Spadina Loop is prone to disruption, and the Commissioners route to Leslie Barns’ back door was also long-fingered because of a pricey infrastructure change.
I completely agree that the link at Cherry ought to be built, my point was that if (and it's a huge if) anyone builds the (very expensive) portal below the rail berm at Cherry it would be very stupid to stop there as the track to link Distillery Loop to Cherry & QQE is cheap.

I completely agree that the link at Cherry ought to be built, my point was that if (and it's a huge if) anyone builds the (very expensive) portal below the rail berm at Cherry it would be very stupid to stop there as the track to link Distillery Loop to Cherry & QQE is cheap.
I read the issue as being that they didn’t want disruption to the roadway south of the portal, but maybe they see the projects above as disruptive in themselves

I read the issue as being that they didn’t want disruption to the roadway south of the portal, but maybe they see the projects above as disruptive in themselves
The problem is not rebuilding the existing underpass to accommodate everything with a wider one. This would still leave transit on the east side with wider sidewalks and bike lanes. One way or another, the Lake Shore will be disrupted when the tracks are built across it along with the New Cherry St. A T connection is/was to be built for the QQE line connection to the Cherry Line.

It would disrupt service in the rail corridor while the new underpass is being built. Back in 2008-10, the cost to do it was around $50 million that would also include a GO station.

Unless that new tunnel to the east is built as a push box which will have some disruptions to the rail corridor, any other type of construction will have major impact on the corridor.

One idea at the time for the extension to the south was leaving the loop there with the extension tracks connecting to it for the extension. This would allow for short turns or like it is for today's service.

As for getting the Portland cars into/out of service can be done when the Full Cherry St line is bult, by Spadina, Bathurst and Commissioner St along with the Broadview line. TTC prefers the Commissioner Line as it would allow cars to get to/from various lines faster than it is today for the Leslie Barns.

Are there any rough sketches/diagrams of how any of these proposed track alignments will cross the Cherry/Lakeshore Intersection? I can only imagine a big mess with both Cherry and QQE connections being made, with one maybe not so bad.

@reinventingthewheel
There are no plans that I know of for crossing the Lake Shore based on current plans, but will be an angle tee connection and not an easy one to build.

Feb 25
We will have to wait until 2032-2035+ to see something running on The New Cherry St as well ride it.

Not sure if this is an access to get to the southbound platform since there are one at each end of the bridge or a future crosswalks
53575336905_c8e00f1126_b.jpg

53575101223_3f5f08763f_b.jpg

53575217539_fbf2cf26ff_b.jpg

53574892736_cdf048ccc9_b.jpg

53575336545_7a1f5ba5f7_b.jpg
53575217269_58f524331f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Following our October 2023 update email and report to City Council in November 2023, the Waterfront East LRT (WELRT) project team received support from Council to advance design to 60% and to undertake steps to secure required environmental approvals.

As such, environmental approvals are being sought through the Transit and Rail Project Assessment Process (TRAP), previously Transit Project Assessment Process, as an update to the previously approved 2010 East Bayfront Transit Class Environmental Assessment, which has since expired. The portion of the network included within the project area spans slightly over 2 km, including an underground connection from Union Station to Queens Quay using existing streetcar tunnels underneath Bay Street, and dedicated surface streetcar right-of-way along Queens Quay East to the future Street A (immediately east of Parliament Street).

The project Notice of Commencement has been distributed to initiate the TRAP as of this morning, March 14, 2024. Please find the Notice of Commencement attached for more information and details on the TRAP. We also encourage you to review the materials on the City of Toronto website, now that they are available.

Please contact the project team if you have any feedback, comments or questions regarding the TRAP, assessment of potential impacts, and proposed mitigations.

Transportation Planning, Toronto & East York District
Toronto City Hall
21st Floor, East Tower
100 Queen Street West
Toronto ON
M5H 2N2

Email: waterfrontlrt@toronto.ca (Nigel Tahair, Program Manager, City Planning Division, City of Toronto)
Phone: 416-214-9990 (Patrick Meredith-Karam, Transportation Project Manager, Waterfront Toronto)

The WELRT remains one of the City’s top transit priorities. The team will continue to keep you informed as the project advances and we look forward to continued engagement.

Regards,
The Waterfront Transit Team
The City of Toronto, TTC, and Waterfront Toronto
This email and any accompanying attachments contain confidential information intended only for the individual or entity named above. Any dissemination or action taken in reliance on this email or attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you believe you have received this message in error, please delete it and contact the sender by return email. Thank you.

Back