1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 609     0 

Visited ROM Dec 9, 2007

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I took my family to the ROM yesterday, and I have to say that it was mostly a dissappointment. The kids sections were very well done, with lots of interactive areas, but vast areas of the museum were closed. When you receive your guide map of the museum upon entry, you quickly notice that on each floor, over 70% of each level is closed from view. Now, I understand that the museum's been working on several updates, but there was very little to see. Now, there was a great Christmas-thremed brass orchestra playing, so there was great music.

Nonetheless, we bought a family membership, and hope that once the dinosaur and other exhibits open (the former opens next week), it will be a better experience.

Adm. Beez:

When you receive your guide map of the museum upon entry, you quickly notice that on each floor, over 70% of each level is closed from view.

Are you sure you got that right? The ground floor galleries are all completed (Asian, Canada/First Nations), and only the centre "bar" of the third floor is closed (for the new Roman/Byzantium/20th c. design galleries). The 2nd floor is the only place where the majority of galleries are closed - but that's a given since practically all the galleries (beyond the biodiversity ones) are going to be renovated.

AoD

The largest temporary exhibition space in any Canadian museum is in the ROM's basement, and that's open too - Canada Collects is showing. There's an exhibition - Shapeshifters - in the ICC on the fourth floor of the Crystal. A small temporary exhibition of Chinese export wares just opened on the main floor.

The Mammals and Dinosaurs galleries open on Saturday. Then we get:

Four Crystal galleries opening early 2008: Middle East; Costumes and Textiles; South Asia; Africa, Americas and Asia-Pacific.

Beez: Don't forget that the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art across the road has free admission all day on the first Friday of every month, and from 4 to 9 pm on all other Fridays.

Ever the freebie wraith, I went to the Gardiner last week to see the current temporary exhibition, before hitting the ROM. There's live entertainment on Friday nights at the ROM. Admission to the ROM is free 45 minutes before closing, and from 8 to 9:30 on Fridays.

Beez: Don't forget that the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art across the road has free admission all day on the first Friday of every month, and from 4 to 9 pm on all other Fridays.
Thanks. I'd heard of it, but didn't think my four year old twins would do well in a ceramic museum. They were pretty wired at the ROM.

Ever the freebie wraith, I went to the Gardiner last week to see the current temporary exhibition, before hitting the ROM. There's live entertainment on Friday nights at the ROM. Admission to the ROM is free 45 minutes before closing, and from 8 to 9:30 on Fridays.

oh nice. i didn't know they brought back the free admission at the ROM on fridays. sure its not from 4.39 like it used to be, but it's great to just go see the interior of the new addition in that 1.5 hours.

There's all kinds of dinosaur themed stuff for the kiddies happening this weekend at the ROM, Beez. Check their website.

I love just walking through the place ignoring the exhibits and observing the building.

.​

And it does some wonderful things.

When you stand at the north end of the Dino/Mammals gallery ( beneath the big suspended fish ) and look up to the east, you see two levels of angled walls shearing down directly at you, one aligned directly above the other. Quite something.

Last time I visited, standing on the Spirit House bridge, I heard the choral piece they play every day just after five o'clock. As it echoed around the space, little kids were playing downstairs and watching the shadows they cast on the ceiling four floors above.

just a heads up to those who didn't know about this.

the toronto public library has free passes to many public institutions which can be borrowed by anyone who is a member of the TPL system.

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/spe_ser_museum_arts_pass.jsp

Your journey through arts and culture in Toronto starts at the Library.

With the new Sun Life Financial Museum and Arts Pass (MAP), you and your family can explore the best of Toronto's arts and cultural treasures for free.

With a valid adult Toronto Public Library card, you can borrow a MAP for your family at 24 library branches. Quantities are limited and borrowing rules apply.

With MAP, start an exciting journey of discovery from your library into the very best of Toronto's museums, galleries and more. There are currently seven participating organizations, offering admission to 14 different venues.

-Art Gallery of Ontario
-The Bata Shoe Museum
-Black Creek Pioneer Village
-Gardiner Museum
-Royal Ontario Museum
-Ontario Science Centre
-Colborne Lodge in High Park
-Fort York National Historic Site
-Gibson House Museum
-Mackenzie House
-Montgomery's Inn
-Scarborough Historical Museum
-Spadina Museum: Historic House & Gardens
-Todmorden Mills Heritage Museum and Arts Centre

Participating Branches

Borrow a Sun Life Financial Museum and Arts Pass (MAP) for your family at these 24 library branches. Quantities are limited and borrowing rules apply.

Agincourt Branch Main Branch
Albion Branch Malvern Branch
Barbara Frum Branch
Maria A. Shchuka Branch
Bendale Branch
McGregor Park Branch
Bridlewood Branch
Morningside Branch
Cedarbrae Branch
Mount Dennis Branch
Centennial Branch
Richview Branch
Dawes Road Branch
Steeles Branch
Flemingdon Park Branch
Victoria Village Branch
Humber Summit Branch
Weston Branch
Jane/Sheppard Branch
Woodview Park Branch
Kennedy Eglinton Branch
York Woods Branch

Borrowing Rules
A valid adult Toronto Public Library card is all that you need to borrow a Sun Life Financial Museum and Arts Pass (MAP) for your family.

One pass per valid adult library card per loan period – each pass admits one family. Patrons cannot borrow more than one pass at a time per loan period.

Admission parameters vary by organisation, but most venues provide access for up to two adults and four children during regular operating hours. The back of each pass specifies details and restrictions. Each pass is good for one visit only.

Sun Life Financial Museum and Arts Passes cannot be renewed or reserved. They are available only on a first-come, first-served basis in limited quantities at 24 library branches.

You can borrow passes to any of the participating venues, and you can borrow them more than once.

Passes do not have to be returned to the Library but instead are surrendered at the venue. There are no overdue fines or fees on the Sun Life Financial Museum and Arts Pass.

Quanities are very, very limited. It's meant for poor families in the "priority neighbourhoods" - note none of the branches above are near downtown - nearly all are in those 13 areas.

It's merely a drop in the ROM's $20/head bucket.

Friday evenings are half price, only the last 45 minutes are free. Fridays are probably the only time I'll go - get off work a bit early and visit. If I do that 1-2 times a year, I've done well.

Quanities are very, very limited. It's meant for poor families in the "priority neighbourhoods" - note none of the branches above are near downtown - nearly all are in those 13 areas.
that's exactly what i noticed when i tried to find a library that is closest/most convenient to get to.

one thing i don't understand though. if they run out, is that it? or are they always in ciculation?

Back