News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     3 

View from Commerce Court West Obsevation level. 1974??

toto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Found a bunch of pics in a shoe box from when I was younger. Lots more but don't have the time to scan them all.

Attachments

• bmo.jpg
    bmo.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 387
  • cn.jpg
    cn.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 313
Was this observation deck on the top floor? If so, those pics could very well have been taken from my current office. Some more great photos can be found here.

Last edited:
With the FCP shot: interesting to catch the old North American Life building while it momentarily still existed (but the G&M was gone already)

Very observant. I didn't know that either.

Apparently the hotel was built as a joint venture between Sheraton and Four Seasons and was named the "Four Seasons Sheraton Hotel." Four Seasons sold their share in '76.

Interesting, and shame on both of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who were around then are still hardwired to think of it as the "Four Seasons Sheraton", maybe not to the degree that the Park Hyatt will eternally be the Park Plaza, but...

(Maybe more comparable to those who still think of the present Four Seasons as the Hyatt Regency.)

I visited it when the building opened; there was an aviary up there.

I was up there a few times when I was a kid before and during the CN tower build and remember the aviary well, it ran all around the interior of the observation level. One visit we got stuck in one of those huge elevators. A few years earlier I had seen one of those ABC/NBC "movie of the week" cheapo, made-for-TV disaster films about a group who gets stuck in an elevator that gets closer and closer to plunging down dozens of floors. I was scared to death when we got stuck in that elevator!

Back