News   Mar 28, 2024
 91     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 228     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

VIA Rail

Right, my point being that while Canada doesn't have the best service compared to Europe/ Asia, Canadians still take pride in what we have, while maintaining a desire to see it improved. That's usually visible in how clean our trains are, drivers respecting rail road crossings, etc.

The fact that VIA has coaches from the 1950's still running on our tracks, and they're generally in good condition, I think says a lot about the train culture in Canada. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing I guess depends on who you ask.
One the Canadian and other remote western trains I don't see anything other than those caches from the 1950's. They're just too iconic.

One the Canadian and other remote western trains I don't see anything other than those caches from the 1950's. They're just too iconic.
I‘m sure the same was said at some point about steam engines hauling the „Ocean Ltd.“, „California Zephyr“ and other iconic trains in North America…

Right, my point being that while Canada doesn't have the best service compared to Europe/ Asia, Canadians still take pride in what we have, while maintaining a desire to see it improved. That's usually visible in how clean our trains are, drivers respecting rail road crossings, etc.

The fact that VIA has coaches from the 1950's still running on our tracks, and they're generally in good condition, I think says a lot about the train culture in Canada. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing I guess depends on who you ask.
the condition of the vehicles are really down to the individuals who service them. i still blame the organization for putting them into that situation where they are obliged to maintain these relics.

Not to defend it, but passenger train graff is a big part of European graff culture. Those trains in Miles' video were soft... Here's an example of how a professional crew operates in Berlin:

Pulling the emergency brake on an in-service train is a thing there... The closest we've gotten were those T1s covered up at Vincent Yard, and some Flexitys and GO coaches in transit.

The main difference here is graffed up passenger trains never go into revenue service.

Some brand new S-Bahn FLIRTs in Hannover (that I'm jealous of,) just completely covered:

Ps. I'll never forget the NS double-decker I took to Schiphol airport in the early 2000s - the interior was almost fully spraypainted!

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic, but when someone mentions train graff, it hits a certain nerve with me...

YouTube is full of these videos.

Mid-2030s would be two decades after the Trudeau the Liberals first got elected and a quarter century after HFR was first conceived. And this is the best case scenario, assuming the project survives the next election, in its present form.

Mid-2030s would be two decades after the Trudeau the Liberals first got elected and a quarter century after HFR was first conceived. And this is the best case scenario, assuming the project survives the next election, in its present form.
Which would really not make this project an outlier compared to European HSR projects:

Yeah. But it's not even HSR. We're vaguely hoping somebody can kinda make an HSR-Lite business case work.
I can show you core parts of the ICE network where it took more than 20 years to plan, fund, design and build a second track for a conventional rail line. In fact, Dortmund-Münster (part of the Köln-Hamburg corridor) is still waiting for this to even happen…

Last edited:

Back