156     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 353     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 664     0 

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Ticket Price

M

MajorComplainer

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071010/2010_tickets_071010/20071010?hub=Canada

The ticket price is a joke! The reason behind it is even worse. How insulting!

"We just have to find that right balance of charging enough for us generate the revenue we need to put the Games on, but keeping them reasonable enough that the average person can afford to see some events."

Reasonable? I have to give up my 2-wk pay cheque to see an opening....and they called that "afforable"? I guess I belong to the BELOW average person then.

Why can't we get a discount for the tickets? Afterall, we paid for the game. And we still have to pay the same as other non-Canadians to see the show? Worse, those rich non-Canadian bastards will probably scoop up the goodies and we poor souls will end up in a dump.

Totally pathetic!

I liked this quote:

"It's been our goal since day one to develop a fair, affordable and accessible Olympic ticketing program and we look forward to sharing the details of the plan this week with Canadians and potential spectators from around the world."

Overpriced tickets? Taxpayer subsidies? Hollow claims of thinking about the common fan? Who put MLSE in charge of the Vancouver Olympics?

I remember reading somewhere that VANOC was going to install large TV screens outside the venues and in public areas showing the events for free. Not to say that this gives them the go-ahead for charging high prices, but at least it does give an opportunity for everyone to get involved and see the events in a public forum. I am sure seeing the events for free on a big screen with 500 other people would be better than sitting at home watching the televised event, and wouldnt be all that much worse (may even be better depending on where your seat would be) than being inside the venue.

Tickets start at $39 to stand in the snow next to the cross country course? Yikes! These prices make me feel better about not seriously considering going out there for the games...imagine how much a family will be forced to spend.

Better that some company buys up all the tickets and gives them to their suppliers, thereby pumping big bucks into the running of the games, instead of tax dollars going to fund it all.

I am sure VANOC has done their homework and knows that they can charge those prices and still sell tickets. Why not get the most money out of it? The Olympics are not cheap.

Well, the official price list has come out...

I'm going to the Opening....the cheapest one I can afford, $175, ouch...prob standing somewhere far, far, far awaaaaaaaaay....unless someone kind enough to give me a $1100 ticket to sit at the front...

You people complain if the Games lose money, and complain if they try to better cover costs by charging market rates for tickets. You also realise that by basic economics, if the price of tickets is lower than the market clearing price, not everyone who wants a ticket at that price will get them. How is that fair?

The opening ceremonies are always astronomically expensive...

The opening ceremonies are always astronomically expensive...

It's the other ticket prices that seem absurd. Can they really get crowds out to random cross country events charging $39+ per ticket? The only ones who go will be those who can't afford four digit figures to take their family to the luge track or preliminary ice dancing or whatever else.

I wonder what the domestic vs "Olympic family" ratio was in past games...Vancouver's will be 70% domestic, which means there's no way they're gonna get 10K fans forking out for biathlon events on a freezing Tuesday morning.

$150-200 for the lowest grade of seating at an opening ceremony is fairly stock standard...

I paid $250 for 2 seats (cheapest) at the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony last year and 100,000 people turned up.

You're all too Scottish. :D

Back