News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 603     1 

UT Design Charette: 469 Palmerston Blvd

UrbanSustainability

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’ve been frequenting UT for some time now, and have been fascinated with the passion that some members have for Toronto and its real estate/planning scene. The knowledge of projects, nodes, hearings, approvals and rejections is spectacular, and as a real estate professional, I have benefited greatly from this site.

Background:
469 Palmerston Blvd, located in the Annex between Harbord and Bloor, is known historically as the “George Weston House”. 469 is a heritage site, built on two lots; and contains a 2,000-ft 2 storey coach house (housing 2 apartments) with parking for 6 cars at the rear of the house. 469 currently houses 10 apartments (ranging from 850-1250sq-ft).

The Concept:
The proposal is for this Manor to be converted to a 6 unit condominium project. Cutting the apartments from 10 to 6 will create larger spaces, and also allow for lockers. The building was renovated in 2001, and is built to condo spec.

Having seen the comparables within the local area, as well as taking into consideration sq-ft prices for high-end condos in Downtown Toronto, the target price per sq-ft is in the $1000 range. Others are doing higher, but for the sake of conservatism, $1000 sq-ft will be assumed.

To achieve this target price, 469 will have to be “reconceptualised” by a well-known architect, with interiors undertaken by a competent and reputable firm/designer. David Adajye as the architect and Alexander McQueen as the interior designer seem like a great duo to me ;-) The plan is for the interior designers to fit-out the apartments completely; from furniture/furnishings to electronics. Buyers will also be able to provide their inputs to create a “bespoke” interior feel.

The building will be high-performance and will feature environmentally sustainable initiatives. It must be at least LEED Gold, potentially Platinum. It will be a smart home with everything from integrated speakers and radiant floors to occupancy sensors and geo-thermal heating.

Essentially, it is to be a more Gothic and more Q version of 500 Wellington West by FREED!

The Pitch:
As stated earlier, UT Forum Members are educated and passionate Toronto real estate enthusiasts. We as a community can conceptualize better projects than most of the stuff out there. Creating a captivating condominium project involves thinking outside of the box.

To ensure that 469 is conceptualized “outside of the box”, I have convinced the Owners of 469 Palmerston Blvd to allow me to hold an online design charette in this forum. As a member of this awesome forum, I know there are great minds here who can add a lot positively through sheer passion.

Members are graciously welcomed to conceptualize ideas about the project –ranging from architects/interior designers to market positioning (pricing greater than $1000 sq-ft?).

The goal for this project is to make it stand out in Toronto’s architecture and development scene; to make it something that we, as enthusiasts, are proud of. UT as a community can step up and make a true impact on a great project.

Just one caveat, the building will only have “soft amenities”, such as concierge service and weekly cleaning; but no “hard amenities”, such as a gym or swimming pool, unless a compelling argument can be made in their favour.

I have attached some pictures of the building below.
I hope that I have engaged the UT audience, and I look forward to your responses.

Attachments

• 469-1.jpg
    469-1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 469-2.jpg
    469-2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 387
Concierge service? With all respect, I don't think that will fly in such a small building.

A few questions come to mind. Do you have any floor plans showing the existing layout? Do you know the existing square footage? Is there finished space in the basement? Is there any liveable space up on that third level, or is that just attic space?

Interesting idea!

Try to find original photographs and restore the look and any possible materials if modifications have been made. For instance, houses near Roncesvalles originally came with stone slate roofs, but over the decades, they required the inevitable repairs, and people didn't have the money to keep that look.

There's only so much of architectural splash you can make with an older building, unless you're interested in some avant-garde addition.

469 is a heritage listed property is it not? Have you seen the addition the owners of 403 just down the street have put on Urbansustainability? Holy smack they must have doubled the square footage of the home!

Concierge service? With all respect, I don't think that will fly in such a small building.

A few questions come to mind. Do you have any floor plans showing the existing layout? Do you know the existing square footage? Is there finished space in the basement? Is there any liveable space up on that third level, or is that just attic space?

Interesting idea!

Thanks for the response.

Conceirge service would not be run in-house, rather through a service provider such as Quintessentially. Memberships range on the low-side from $2500 to about $30k a year for a personal assistant type service. A figure closer to the lower-end could potentially be absorbed through the condo fee, much like many of the other boutique condo buildings (globally, in general) offering these services.

Existing Square Footage = 12,000 sq-ft including common areas and two finished basement apartments (which would need to be converted into lockers to meet "condo spec"). Adding the 2,000 sq-ft finished coach house with 2 units, and the aggregate total is approx. 14,000sq-ft.

Third floor is liveable (I actually live in one of the units, 2 pics attached). However, upon conversion into a condo building, both 3rd storey units may become the 2nd storey of a 2-storey, Duplex unit. Could be interesting to look at increasing the ceiling heights to add more space, but this will depend on cost/benefit.

I will get floor plans and more pics soon. My brother-in-law is a professional photographer, he will be coming by this weekend to take some pictures of the whole site and common areas.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 305
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 298
Try to find original photographs and restore the look and any possible materials if modifications have been made. For instance, houses near Roncesvalles originally came with stone slate roofs, but over the decades, they required the inevitable repairs, and people didn't have the money to keep that look.

There's only so much of architectural splash you can make with an older building, unless you're interested in some avant-garde addition.

Check out http://www.adjaye.com/ for David Adjaye's work. As you'll see on some of his projects, he has been able to meld cutting-edge modern succinctly with Victorian architecture. Most of his work is solid, not crazy outlandish. For example, while I have had the pleasure of meeting Rem Koolhaus, I would never ask him to work on this project, as his work is better suited to a new build.

When 469 was redeveloped in 2001, we took great strides to ensure work was undertaken to bring out the original, very grande and historical features. However, to meet the needs of high-end condominium buyers that would potentially look at the Annex as a location to purchase in, I feel that bringing in modern elements with the current heritage features would be a potentially powerful pull.

Thanks for the post, I appreciate your input.

469 is a heritage listed property is it not? Have you seen the addition the owners of 403 just down the street have put on Urbansustainability? Holy smack they must have doubled the square footage of the home!

It is a Heritage Site, however, we've got some tricks up our sleeves to ensure we would get approval for tasteful, modern additions.

I have checked out 403, and you are right about the addition. I'm going to walk by it today and spend some time looking at it. Thanks for the tip!

Back