482     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 469     0 

Urban Toronto Awards?

W

wyliepoon

I don't know if it's because we're getting close to the time for the Oscars, but I'm thinking that Urban Toronto should play a real part in promoting urbanity by giving out annual awards. We could nominate people/groups for awards, then vote on them, and then send out award certificates to those people who deserve the kudos.

Here are the awards that I thought up of, divided into the topics that we talk about on this forum:

BUILDINGS AND ARCHITECTURE

1. URBAN TORONTO BUILDING OF THE YEAR

Awarded to an existing building in the GTA that Urban Toronto forumers consider to be the most significant in the past year.(site of something important, most controversial, best renovation, etc.)

2. URBAN TORONTO ARCHITECT OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the architect who has made the most contribution to creating good architecture and/or urbanity in the GTA in the past year.

PROJECTS AND CONSTRUCTION

3. URBAN TORONTO PROJECT(S) OF THE YEAR

Awarded for the project/proposal in the GTA which will make the most contribution to good architecture and/or urbanity in the GTA.
(can be divided into residential, commercial, institutional)

4. URBAN TORONTO DEVELOPER OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the building developer who has made the most contribution to good architecture and/or urbanity in the GTA in the past year.

TORONTO ISSUES

5. URBAN TORONTO PERSON(S) OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the person/group who has made the most contribution to urbanity in the GTA in the past year.

6. URBAN TORONTO POLITICIAN(S) OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the politician/political group who has made the most contribution to urbanity in the GTA in the past year.

7. URBAN TORONTO CITY/TOWN OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the municipal government which has made the most contribution to urbanity in the GTA in the past year.

8. URBAN TORONTO URBAN CRITIC OF THE YEAR

Awarded to an urban critic in the mainstream media who has made the most insightful, intelligent comments about urbanity in Toronto in the past year.

TRANSPORTATION ISSUES

9. URBAN TORONTO PUBLIC TRANSIT AGENCY OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the public transit agency which has done the most to improve public transit in the GTA in the past year.

10. URBAN TORONTO PUBLIC TRANSIT ADVOCATE OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the person/group who has done the most to advocate good public transit in the GTA in the past year.

CITY PHOTOS

11. URBAN TORONTO CITY PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR

Awarded to the photographer who has posted the best Toronto photos on Urban Toronto in the past year. (photographer must have posted original works)

12. URBAN TORONTO PHOTO OF THE YEAR

Awarded to best-looking Toronto photo taken and posted on Urban Toronto in the past year.

MISCELLANEOUS

13. URBAN TORONTO LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

Awarded to an individual who has made significant contributions to urbanity in the GTA during his/her lifetime.

14. URBAN TORONTO THREAD OF THE YEAR

15. URBAN TORONTO POST OF THE YEAR

What do you think? Should we do it?

I'm all for this too, but we probably should open balloting in December and announce the winners in early January and make it specific to the year.

It’s a good idea, might give us more of a presence in the community. Unfortunately I don’t have time to organize such an endeavor. Any volunteers?

Brilliant idea.

Perhaps we should have "judges" in each category as well. Or maybe we can also have the UT version of "Golden Globe" LOL

GB

I would limit it to a maximum of 5 categories. Being succinct is important, and would make such an award have more value.

(To those on the inside: Maybe RyeUrb awards?)

cdl:

LOL. I am thinking along the lines of "worst condo project"; "worst street level integration", etc...

Carrot and the stick.

GB

Part of the problem will be getting this into the media and public eye.

Afterall there are already tons of industry awards for condos, homes sales and marketing etc. Most of which the builder really value and strive for recognition among their peers.

Back