W

wyliepoon

From the National Post:

Link to article

Toronto subway most likely target of terrorist attack: federal survey

Jim Bronskill
Canadian Press

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

OTTAWA -- Canadians believe a terrorist attack on their country is unlikely but feel if one did happen, the Toronto subway is the most probable target.

That's the picture painted by a federal focus-group study of views in several major cities on the prospects of a 9/11-style assault. Overall, Canadians interviewed during the sessions felt an attack was "highly unlikely" given the proximity of other, more attractive targets - namely the United States.

Estimates ranged from a one per cent to a 25 per cent possibility of terrorist action against Canada in the next few years, says the study prepared for the Transport Department by Ekos Research Associates.

"For many, Toronto's size, international profile and economic and financial importance to Canada made it the most probable target, especially by participants from this city."

Public transportation systems, particularly subways, figured as a potential target because they would be easy to attack and such a crime would succeed in spreading mass fear.

The focus groups were convened early last fall, only months after terrorists bombed the London transit system.

The study found the perceived likelihood of attack is linked closely to Canadian foreign policy and the extent to which Ottawa supports the military efforts of the United States.

"For example, many expressed concern that Canada's active support of U.S. operations in Afghanistan could increase the likelihood of Canada being targeted."

Said one participant: "We're killing people over there. I'm sure that's elevated us a few notches on the target list."

Ekos conducted 18 focus-group discussions: two each in Calgary, Halifax and Quebec City, and four each in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Participants were "involved Canadians" - people who regularly read newspapers and have at least a high school education and income of $40,000 or more.

In Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, Ekos spoke with people who used public transit at least five times a week.

Participants saw commuter transit systems as a much easier target than airplanes. "They would just have to carry a bomb in on a backpack," said one person.

In late November, the government promised $110 million over three years to improve security for Canada's major mass-transit systems.

Support among focus-group participants for placing more surveillance cameras in public transit was moderate to high.

The attacks in recent years on commuter systems in London and Madrid serve as reminders that transportation networks are potential targets, and the government must take action to protect Canadians, Transport Canada spokeswoman Vanessa Vermette said in an e-mail message.

Many focus-group participants expected terrorist targets would be chosen for their symbolic importance to Canada, prompting some to mention Toronto's CN Tower, the Parliament Buildings and U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, and the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Others focused on targets that would prove financially crippling such as the Toronto Stock Exchange or Alberta's oil fields.

Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida network has repeatedly singled out Canada as a candidate for attack.

Wesley Wark, a University of Toronto history professor, said the country must prepare for the possibility.

But he believes al-Qaida has "bigger fish to fry" than simply striking back at Canada for sending troops to Kandahar.

"To the extent that Canada might be targeted, it'll be targeted in the context of a wider war against the United States," said Wark, who serves on a federal advisory council on national security.

"And our being in Afghanistan, I don't think changes the equation at all."

With the exception of increased security at airports, overall awareness of the security measures the government has taken since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington was very low.

"While there is a general view that government is achieving balance between security, rights, cost and convenience, this is based mainly on assumptions as opposed to knowledge," the study says.

"There are concerns that some of the security measures that have been implemented constitute an overreaction that is motivated by 'paranoia'."

Unless they're surveying terrorists, this study isn't worth the paper its printed on. Talk about loaded questions.

Q: Do you think Canada will be a target for terrorists?

A: No.

Q: Okay. But supposing it was, where do you think their target will be?

A: Um.. I guess maybe the subway would be a good.

Q: So there you have it. In the UNLIKELY event of a terrorist attack, the TTC would be the likely target?

A: As unlikely as it sounds.

Really? wow, i could have sworn it was an empty denny's in st. catherines.

I think it is the second time in recent memory that the Post have reported on something along such lines. Like honestly, what do you expect respondents/focus groups to say - that terrorists are more likely to attack the CanWest/Global HQ so that they'd put an end to the endless blabbering from the forementioned paper.

Wait, I suppose it's the Globe that's on the hit list instead, now that Mark Steyn has joined the illustrious Margaret Wente in their line-up.

AoD

Suicidal Gingerbread Man,

Indeed, what a pointless article.

NEWS FLASH!
TORONTO MIGHT POSSIBLY BE HIT BY TERRORISTS AND MAYBE THERE'S A CHANCE IT COULD BE THE TTC!
....sorta....
vote Harper.

Well, it's good that I have pretty much wrapped up my subway station photography now, before the Post's terrorist attacks that is. I wonder if the Post will be named as an accessory when the imaginary defendants are brought to trial, after all, they done thunked those guys up.

So-called public opinion surveys of this type are next to useless, and I have to wonder how this got printed in such an uncritical way.

Having said that, I for one would be a little less complacent. We may well find that an attack of some kind will happen in this country sooner or later. Trying to predict exactly what form such an attack would take or where it might happen is pretty much an exercise in futility, but the subway would certainly be on any list of the more obvious targets.

i asked a few buddies and most of us think a future attack in gonna come in the form of terrorists all flushing the toilets at the same time in an effort to overwhelm the sewage system and make the pipes burst which will make for a very shitty day. if you see and arab looking guy using the toilet, be on high alert. only you can prevent forest fires.

on july 20 2006 at exactly 11:39:13 GMT, millions of terrorists across the world plan on jumping up and down at exactly the same time to exert enough force to throw planet earth into a new orbit which will put us right in the path of mars and cause a planetary collision which will destroy the earth!

www.worldjumpday.org/

if you see an arab at that exact time, hold him so he can't jump up and down for a few moments. you will save earth.

"if you see an arab at that exact time, hold him so he can't jump up and down for a few moments. you will save earth."

Who said Arabs are terrorists? Should we hold down George Bush too?

stokell, welcome to the board. :D

i wasn't serious. i was just going along with the paranoia in an extreme fashion.

but i know. i'm no colbert report.

:(

There will be no true terrorism in Toronto.

The most we can hope for is scarey-ism.

This diluted, often disappointing phenomenon is widely criticized as "derivative" and "a pale imitation of the real thing". It is characterized by the use of poor materials (gasoline instead of C4) and poor design and planning ("so who wants to throw this brick through that window... hmmm? Anybody?").

Scarey-ism still brings some fear, but not on a world-class level.

Scarey-ism still brings some fear, but not on a world-class level.

:rollin

it reminds me of that south park episide where mr garrison was pissed off at his dad and never talked to him because he never molested him as a child. he thought his dad didn't love him because all the other fathers molested their children.

Back