News   Apr 25, 2024
 210     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 671     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 765     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Underneath the trains I get (i.e. the running rails, trackbed and to a lesser extent the 3rd rail), but why would the other infrastructure around the trains require strengthening, if the trains generally don't make contact with anything else besides the tracks & 3rd rail?
What do you think supports the rails?

That weight and those forces need to go somewhere. They don't just disappear into the rail, ties, trackbed, etc. This is less of an issue in most of the tunnels because of the way that they interact with the soil, but it may be a serious issue at things like bridges. Plus, not all of the "tunnels" are actually tunnels.

Dan

Reactions: DSC
What do you think supports the rails?

That weight and those forces need to go somewhere. They don't just disappear into the rail, ties, trackbed, etc. This is less of an issue in the tunnels, but may be a serious issue at things like bridges. Plus, not all of the "tunnels" are actually tunnels.

Dan
I do realize the rails are supported by the trackbed, which in turn is supported by what's underneath it, but my question was regarding what's not under (since you did say "around and underneath the trains"), and (as far as I know) doesn't need to support the weight of the train, i.e. platforms, walls, ceilings, etc.

Last edited:

Back