News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Major Operational Issues (Various)

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Given the state of disrepair that the TTC has been in over the past few years, and the increased amount of construction taking place throughout the system I figured it's time to create a separate thread to keep track of all of it and separate it from the catch all thread.

I'll start things off by noting the active amount of slow zones currently in place. While things were at it's peak of mass slow zones back around Jan-Feb 2024, we can see that slow zones are still plaguing the subway system and I have never seen things as bad as they've been this year.

We can also call this a thank you Rick Leary thread for all he did for helping put this system into the mess that it's in today.

Here are the slow zones currently in effect:

1721645521957.png

Let's compare that with last month and we can see that things have barely changed (June 14, 2024):

1721645558214.png

Last edited:
Not sure it is useful to create a new thread for 'TTC construction' but ....
I agree with you as we have 2 treads for it now. This thread if it stays could be use for subway and the title should reflect subway only. Can see a thread for X project if it has a long timeframe and a major impact on everything.

After consideration, i've decided to rename the thread and keep it related to major operational issues. Both surface and underground routes are fair game.

Since the map is out of date let's add another slow zone to system map:

-Northbound from St.Clair to Davisville

There's something going on with the "fixes" that the TTC is performing on the subway system. Simply put, they're not lasting and once some kind of work is done, they're right back at the same spot a few months down the line and implementing slow zones at the same spots.

I'll be keeping track of this because this isn't normal at all.

This has been going on for about 15 years now, I swear.

IIRC a large part of it is that the rails are sinking into the gravel bed and they have to perform regular maintenance on it.
There was a time they were going to implement a semi-permanent solution and suspend some service to do it but they apparently didn't need to do again for whatever reason.

But if I recall correctly the affected area (where the underground stream is) is mostly north of Davisville, with a bit of it being immediately south. Which would be outside the scope of this current slow zone.

Here are some more restrictions I've just found out about. Multiple posts I know, but just doesn't end:

-Southbound between Davisville and Summerhill

-Northbound and Southbound between Bloor-Yonge and Wellesley

This has been going on for about 15 years now, I swear.

IIRC a large part of it is that the rails are sinking into the gravel bed and they have to perform regular maintenance on it.
Track built as ties in ballast, although robust, needs regular maintenance as the ballast settles, things come out of alignment, the rail expands/contracts, gets filled with fines, etc. One of the regular things to do is to add some more ballast and run a tamper over it to re-align the rails - although both of the TTC's tampers had been out of service for a while, which may explain a lot of the slow orders on the open-cut sections. I saw the newer one at Davisville a month or so ago, so it may finally be back in service.

Slab track - where the rails are directly affixed to a concrete slab - is way more robust and less maintenance intensive but is a heck of a lot more expensive to build, and truthfully I don't know if anyone has figured out a way to install it under an active railway.

Dan

I wouldnt be surprised if the whole system has slow orders in place by the end of the summer at this point. Even the TTC web designers can't keep up, so let's add some more:

-Southbound track entering St.George
-Eastbound from Keele Station
-Eastbound from Dundas West Station
-Southbound St.Andrew to Union

So the entire subway operational issues list as of July 24:

Line 1 (Yonge-University):

• Both ways from Wilson to Yorkdale
  • Both ways from Yorkdale to Lawrence West
  • Both ways from St Clair West to Dupont
  • Northbound from Bloor to Rosedale
  • Northbound from St Clair West to Eglinton West
  • Northbound from Wilson to Sheppard West
  • Southbound from Glencairn to Lawrence West
  • Southbound from King to Union
  • Southbound between Davisville and Summerhill
  • Northbound and Southbound between Bloor-Yonge and Wellesley
  • Northbound from St.Clair to Davisville
  • Southbound St.Andrew to Union

Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth):

• Eastbound from Coxwell to Woodbine
  • Eastbound from Victoria Park to Warden
  • Westbound from Kennedy to Victoria Park
  • Both ways from Warden to Kennedy
  • Eastbound from Keele Station to East of Dundas West
  • Eastbound from Dundas West Station to Keele

Upcoming scheduled subway closures and service adjustments

Jul. 25, 2024

This Sat., Jul. 27, and Sun., Jul. 28, there will be no subway service on the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between St Clair West and Sheppard West stations to accommodate planned track work.

A frequent shuttle bus service will run, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding locations. Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

All subway stations will remain open for customers to load PRESTO cards, purchase PRESTO tickets, and connect to surface routes.

Pape Station bypass

On Sat., Jul. 27, and Sun., Jul. 28, trains on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth will not stop at Pape Station due to Ontario Line construction by Metrolinx. Bus service at Pape Station will be unaffected, and the station will remain open.

Shuttle buses will operate along Danforth Ave. between Broadview and Coxwell stations, connecting to Pape Station. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations.

Customers heading to Pape Station and requiring the use of an elevator can exit trains at Broadview, Chester, or Coxwell stations and speak to any TTC staff member for assistance, including Wheel-Trans service.

Early nightly subway closures between St Clair West and Sheppard West stations

On Mon., Jul. 29, Tues., Jul 30, Thurs., Aug. 1, and Fri. Aug. 2, subway service on the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between St Clair West and Sheppard West stations will end nightly at 11 p.m. to accommodate track maintenance. Track work will not take place on Wed., Jul 31 and regular service will run to accommodate the Emancipation Day Underground Freedom Train Ride.

During the early closures, shuttle buses will run, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding locations. Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

All subway stations will remain open for customers to load PRESTO cards, purchase PRESTO tickets, and connect to surface routes.

Nightly single-track operation between Sheppard West and Finch West stations

On Mon., Jul. 29, Tues., Jul 30, and Thurs., Aug. 1, subway service on the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between Sheppard West and Finch West stations will operate on a single track, nightly from 11 p.m., to enable tunnel work on the northbound track. Northbound customers will need to change trains at Sheppard West Station. Longer than normal travel times of approximately 20 minutes can be expected. Regular service will operate on Wed., Jul 31.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state-of-good-repair work.

Reduced subway speed zones

The TTC is advising customers travelling on several portions of Line 1 Yonge-University and Line 2 Bloor-Danforth of reduced speed zones, which may result in longer than normal travel times along certain sections of the subway.

As a safety precaution, the TTC reduces speed along sections of rail where maintenance is required, allowing trains to run safely during service hours while minimizing disruptions to customers. They also protect workers who may be required at track level to conduct routine or emergency inspections.

Customers are encouraged to plan ahead and consider the additional time they may need for their trips. A complete list of current reduced speed zones can be found on the TTC website at: https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/subway-service/Reduced-Speed-Zones.

Weekend bus and streetcar diversions

Events

• Tonight, until Sat., Jul. 27, the 64 Main and 501 Queen will adjust nightly between 6 p.m. and midnight to accommodate Beaches Jazz Fest 2024. The 64 Main will pick-up northbound customers at Queen St. E. / Lee Ave., and 501 Queen streetcars will turn-back at Kingston Rd.

• Starting at 5 a.m. Sat., Jul. 27 until 5 a.m. Sun., Jul. 28, the 63 Ossington and 363 Ossington Night will redirect from Ossington Ave., along Dundas St. W. and Queen St. W., to accommodate OssFest. Buses will run south on Bathurst St., and north on Dufferin St.

• On Sat., Jul. 27, from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., the 32 Eglinton West will divert due to Dream Wheels on Eglinton. Buses will redirect from Eglinton Ave. and run both ways along Avenue Rd and Chaplin Cr.

Construction

• Until 2 a.m. on Sun., Jul. 28, the 307 Bathurst Night and 329 Dufferin Night will adjust to accommodate Gardiner Expressway construction, with no service to Exhibition Loop. The 307 Bathurst will turn back at Fort York Blvd., and the 329 Dufferin will turn back at Dufferin Gate Loop via E. Liberty St., Strachan Ave., and Queen St. W.

• From 11 p.m., Fri., Jul. 26 to 4 a.m., Mon., Jul. 29, the 506/306 Carlton will divert to accommodate streetcar infrastructure repairs at Gerrard St. E. and Degrassi St. Streetcars will run both ways along Queen St. E. between Coxwell and Broadview avenues. Replacement buses will serve stops on Gerrard St. E.

• On Sat., Jul. 27, between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., westbound service on the 121 Esplanade-River will adjust due to construction. Buses will redirect from The Esplanade at Scott St. and continue to Wellington St.

• On Sat., Jul. 27, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the 12 Kingston Road will divert due to construction on Kingston Rd. Buses will divert along Gerrard St. E. and Clonmore Dr. between Victoria Park and Warden avenues.

Back