News   Sep 12, 2024
 399     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 558     1 

Trends in Highrise Construction

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
After a few years of on-again, off-again research, I've finally finished dating with some accuracy the building in Toronto that have 12 storeys or more (not perfect accuracy, obviously, but carefully researched). I'm working on some fun stuff as a result, but here's a little quiz to whet your appetite.

Which of the years below is the true peak of construction within the city for buildings of more than 12 storeys?

A: 1969, with 1920 floors of buildings completed
B: 1972, with 1820 floors of buildings completed
C: 1975, with 2020 floors of buildings completed
D: 1990, with 1324 floors of buildings completed
E: 2007, with 1234 floors of buildings completed

And here's another question - what was the last year that no building with more than 12 storeys was completed in Toronto?

Last edited:
After a few years of on-again, off-again research, I've finally finished dating with some accuracy the building in Toronto that have 12 storeys or more (not perfect accuracy, obviously, but carefully researched). I'm working on some fun stuff as a result, but here's a little quiz to whet your appetite.

Which of the years below is the true peak of construction within the city for buildings of more than 12 storeys?

A: 1969, with 1920 floors of buildings completed
B: 1972, with 1820 floors of buildings completed
C: 1975, with 2020 floors of buildings completed
D: 1990, with 1324 floors of buildings completed
E: 2007, with 1234 floors of buildings completed

I vaguely remember this from another thread, but I think it's A) 1969, with 1920 floors of buildings completed

And here's another question - what was the last year that no building with more than 12 storeys was completed in Toronto?

A shot in the dark: 1997?

maestro was more or less correct - 1972 is the right answer, and the last year was 1950 (almost 40 years before 1997).

Here is an approximate chart showing the floors built for each year. There are some adjustments to be made, and it could be formatted better, but you get the idea.

Chart.jpg

A neat visual representation of the mid-50s to early '80s boom years that gave Toronto its strong Modernist heritage.

Archivist, can I assume that these counts are for the post-amalgamation City of Toronto? It would be interesting to see something like this for each of the 6 pre-amalgamation municipalities.

Another idea is the corelation between highrise construction and population growth (if any). This could be a 416-wide comparison to keep it a bit simpler.

Marcus, yes, this is for the current city limits. I have a website on its way (an addition to TOBuilt) with exactly what you propose - I already have the links there for the graphs for all six of the former cities. I might get the graphs done tonight. There is much, much more as well that (I hope) will be quite interesting to someone other than myself. Once you know the dates (even if imperfectly) for all highrise buildings, quite a lot of interesting stuff becomes possible. I keep pulling people at work over to my desk to show them what I'm doing. They express some feigned interest and pretend they hear their phone ringing.

Your proposal for a correlation with population is interesting, will consider that. I had considered producing one that highlights wars and economic downturns.

I find this very interesting and I'm sure many of the people on UT do as well. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other stuff you've put together

Back