News   Jul 12, 2024
 903     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Townhome or House

PIX

Member Bio
Reaction score
After putting up with 9 months of noise from a "tenant from hell" living above my new condo at Cityplace I have decided to sell my home. Yes I have reported the virtually, daily ruckus by the high heeled, partying "tenant", friends and her dog. I'm so stressed that I have been crashing elsewhere, from time to time, so I can sleep. Even in the unlikely event that the tenant is convinced to be reasonable there is the issue with the elevators, rude, noisy, inconsiderate people, dirty carpets from dogs, garbage, damage etc. Not a healthy environment for me in a building that is less than a year old.

I could use some advice as to a nice, quiet neighborhood, pricing of (preferably) new or used townhome or house? My first choice of address would be the Toronto area but would entertain any areas in proximity that has easy access to public transit for someone like me who doesn't drive.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

What is the price range you are willing to spend. Your price range that you are willing to spend can give us a better idea of what to recommend.

I always enjoyed the Etobicoke and North York Area myself.

I guess you've had a bad taste of condo living. Sorry to hear that. I'm wondering the same thing if Etobicoke might be a better area? Maybe near High Park? I've heard problems for Esplanade too so I guess the rowdy tenants are spread all over downtown and it's luck of the draw. I've been fairly lucky I guess.

I don't know if North York is any better and the area is quite expensive for townhouses I think.

Thanks for the advice. I used to own a condo on 500 Queens Quay and it was slower paced and really quiet but I wanted a larger unit with a balcony. Big mistake!

Based on current prices I think I can get $380 for my condo.

It's already september. It might be a bit late to sell because the prices are coming down. I guess if you can't wait until next spring/summer it doesn't matter. Your sanity is worth more than money :p

I guess I should shoot for as far from downtown as possible. I was looking at some new houses and townhomes by Monarch at Brimley and St. Clair. I wasn't impressed with the neighborhood and browsed some completed homes and asked a guy standing next to his townhome/car if he found the neighborhood quiet he looked annoyed and said "this is not a church"? I think I'll pass....

yea, I would say stay away from the downtown area. Otherwise stay near the lakefront maybe. I don't think you will like Scarborough. It's for slightly low income people. I guess the best place might be high income. If the area is high income, low income people won't be able to afford renting or buying. So you have better behaved residents/tenants.

Last time I lived in Scarborough, the neighbours weren't noisy, however I found them a bit messy such as leaving stuff in elevators and scratching the metal plate of the elevator buttons. Also the fire alarm kept getting pulled quite often --; Very annoying especially at night. Oh I recall a cop dropped by my apartment twice asking if we saw if anyone suspicious coming from Coffee time. We live kind of high, however we have our blinds closed most of the time especially at night. I guess they thought we might have seen something. Someone was shot at Coffee time. :O

I also don't recommend near Fairview Mall either. My aunt's house was robbed and you've heard about the kidnapped chinese girl who was killed.

I've heard nice things about Etobicoke being a nice and slow pace. It's also close enough to downtown as well.

I just recalled something. I remember reading about how Guildwood is under priced. Have you tried looking in that area? It seems like a nice area with Guildwood Park and Scarborough bluffs. I hear the prices are starting to go up there. You might want to check it out. I think it might be a quiet area.

Last edited:
It's already september. It might be a bit late to sell because the prices are coming down. I guess if you can't wait until next spring/summer it doesn't matter. Your sanity is worth more than money :p
Have the prices really dropped? I haven't been following in the past couple of weeks. Because usually for lower priced condos (under $500000), the prices usually don't fluctuate that much, and interest rates are still pretty low at the moment.

I don't think you will like Scarborough. It's for slightly low income people.

----

I just recalled something. I remember reading about how Guildwood is under priced. Have you tried looking in that area? It seems like a nice area with Guildwood Park and Scarborough bluffs. I hear the prices are starting to go up there. You might want to check it out. I think it might be a quiet area.
Heh. Glad you caught that, as Guildwood and Scarborough Bluffs are both in Scarborough. ;)

Also, there are other pockets of Scarborough that are pretty middle income too. It all depends on the area.

I guess I should shoot for as far from downtown as possible. I was looking at some new houses and townhomes by Monarch at Brimley and St. Clair. I wasn't impressed with the neighborhood and browsed some completed homes and asked a guy standing next to his townhome/car if he found the neighborhood quiet he looked annoyed and said "this is not a church"? I think I'll pass....
Sounds like you came across an ass. That development seems OK, but as you noticed, some of the neighbourhoods around it aren't that great. North of there along Eglinton isn't very impressive that's for sure. However, I think the new developments like that Monarch development and Warden Woods are improving things. And it will be interesting to see what happens when they build that LRT along Eglinton.

IMO Guildwood is nice, but is really too far if you like to access downtown, unless you live near the GO station. It's probably a 45 minute drive downtown in rush hour. Further west in the Scarborough Bluffs is nice and you can get some pretty affordable homes in quite nice streets and it's about 10-15 minutes closer to downtown. Again, as mentioned, the neighbourhoods are less nice north of Kingston Road, and much of Kingston Road itself isn't very nice either. I would expect Kingston Road to improve over the next while though, since it's been targeted by the City of Toronto as a spot for urban development. It's currently zoned as low density retail and commercial, and parts of it are being rezoned to include mid-rise residential (condos and townhouses). In fact, there is a low-rise commercial building at Danforth Ave and Kingston Road which is now for sale, as a site for an 11 storey mix-use development (condo & commercial/retail).

KingstonDanforth2.jpg

Transit in some of these areas isn't the greatest, since many of the buses don't really go for any distance along Kingston Road towards downtown. However, that's changing, as the plan is to have a dedicated bus lanes along Kingston Road to Victoria Park subway station. The line would go along Kingston Road until Danforth, and then along Danforth ("Route 2") to Vic Park station.

KingstonBRT.png

But yeah, knowing your budget would help. The Fallingbrook area is right next to The Beach and is quite nice. Unfortunately, the homes there are often 7 digits. :p

P.S. I used to live in a townhouse condo, and now live in a detached house. I liked the townhouse condo because all the shoveling, gardening, etc. was done for me. I disliked paying the fees though of course, and some of the neighbours can be loud. Even if it's one not sharing your walls, some of the townhouse complexes are so closely packed that a loud neighbour can be a nightmare. I prefer the detached house, but hate having to shovel my driveway in the winter. ;) I don't mind cutting the grass and doing the gardening, but do get someone to help out once in a while... sort of like condo fees. :) My area is much, much quieter too, but obviously it depends on the area and what neighbours you happen to get. For example, the neighbour on one side of my townhouse was great. Super quiet and I trusted them to take care of my plants and take in my mail when I was away. In my current house, my neighbour gives me smoked salmon from his own personal smoker. :) OTOH, a friend of mine lives in an upscale area along Bayview and hates his neighbour. It's all the luck of the draw.

Last edited:
I haven't checked for prices, but sales tend to slow as summer draws to an end. When I put the scarborough condo unit up for sale in sept/oct a few years ago, I couldn't get the same sale price as the summer. There were viewings but no offers for months and people were low balling.

I haven't checked for prices, but sales tend to slow as summer draws to an end. When I put the scarborough condo unit up for sale in sept/oct a few years ago, I couldn't get the same sale price as the summer. There were viewings but no offers for months and people were low balling.
OK, that might make more sense. It depends on where in Scarborough, but I was thinking more along the lines of downtown Toronto.

Right in the core of downtown, what you say can be true, but generally demand is still relatively high even in the fall.

That really sucks that you basically had to put your place up for sale because of some ****s! Maybe condos should go the extra mile and soundproof the units a little better? In my hallway I can hear people laughing/talking all the time....Inside the unit is pretty quiet though...except for the crazy woman above me who screams and breaks things every couple of months. Make sure if you get a townhouse, there's no one above you because you will have even bigger headaches.

Is Liberty Village too close to downtown? There are a number of decent townhouses in Etobicoke near lakeshore too.

I think you can kind of sound proof the walls. I hardly hear my neighbours unless they drill or something. But I don't think you can really sound proof the ceiling? Sound seems to travel through the cement.

I think you can kind of sound proof the walls. I hardly hear my neighbours unless they drill or something. But I don't think you can really sound proof the ceiling? Sound seems to travel through the cement.

You can soundproof the ceiling, but it is difficult. Far better if the person above you soundproofs their floor.

One of the most space efficient ways of soundproofing is to ad a layer of drywall onto your existing drywall, separated by a layer of a visco-elastic dampening compound such as "green glue".
http://www.greenglue.ca/

An important concept to keep in mind when doing soundproofing is that sound is like water. It travels through the holes. So if you have a wall that is mostly soundproofed, but there are even some very small "holes" in your soundproofing then your soundproofing can by substantially undermined.

I wonder if the OP might want to consider soundproofing his bedroom and staying put? Since the tenant above will presumably, eventually move out.

You can learn more about soundproofing options from the following local distributor in mississauga.
http://www.acoustiguard.com/

ps. I have no affiliation with any of the above linked companies

his problem is the ceiling. The owner/tenant above would need to sound proof their floor. I think Neo has laminate flooring. The Home Depot guy said there's 2 types of under pad. There's the thin cheap one or the thick expensive one. I think they one used is at Neo is probably the thin cheap one or even just glued on to the floor. The thick one is 4-5 times the price I think.

But those types of neighbours really make me mad. I don't know what's wrong with keeping quiet. Do they really need to run around all day long? Friendly neighbours don't try to cause other neighbours problems.

Back