Vaughan VMC Performing & Cultural Arts Centre | ?m | ?s | City of Vaughan | Hariri Pontarini

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score

The City of Vaughan and Quadreal have entered into a MOU for this project.

Below are the conceptual designs prepared by Hariri Pontarini Architects, a "park pavilion" concept and an "integrated podium" concept:
ATTACHMENT 3 - FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR CULTRAL ARTS CENTRE IN THE VMC-55.jpg

ATTACHMENT 3 - FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR CULTRAL ARTS CENTRE IN THE VMC-54.jpg

Conceptual program designs:
ATTACHMENT 3 - FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR CULTRAL ARTS CENTRE IN THE VMC-27.png

ATTACHMENT 3 - FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR CULTRAL ARTS CENTRE IN THE VMC-28.png

Additional project info can be found here.

Really great. Even though the designs aren’t Gaudi, this really promotes the viability of suburbs in the GTA and North America as distinct cities with their own amenities and cultural resources. It’s importance for Vaughan is underplayed.
I keep being told that Mississauga who has its own art centre, art gallery, main library and civic space (celebration square) is a cultural gutter. Torontonians have high standards despite half of them not ever leaving their own houses. But I agree with you.

Love to see Vaughan getting real city amenities like a performing arts venue. My preference is for the “park pavilion” concept since there will be more than enough towers surrounding this in the future.

Hope Vaughan continues down this path of investing in amenities like this. I’d love to see a modest-sized arena in VMC in the future.

I keep being told that Mississauga who has its own art centre, art gallery, main library and civic space (celebration square) is a cultural gutter. Torontonians have high standards despite half of them not ever leaving their own houses. But I agree with you.
Not to open a can of worms, but i'd argue that Torontonians love to grumble and criticise, but only because they are so well travelled... it's a big-city thing. Toronto is a pretty wealthy city and has pretty great connections to Europe and such, so I found the reclusive stereotype isn't true. Quite the opposite. In fact, the issue is that these galleries in the suburbs don't get enough funding and PR, thus the programming and outreach often feels a bit provincial and lacking in experimentation. But I am sure there are great works, and i'm sure Torontonians would be pleasantly surprised for all we like to moan about.

Last edited:
Not to open a can of worms, but i'd argue that Torontonians love to grumble and criticise, but only because they are so well travelled... it's a big-city thing. Toronto is a pretty wealthy city and has pretty great connections to Europe and such, so I found the reclusive stereotype isn't true. Quite the opposite. In fact, the issue is that these galleries in the suburbs don't get enough funding and PR, thus the programming and outreach often feels a bit provincial and lacking in experimentation. But I am sure there are great works, and i'm sure Torontonians would be pleasantly surprised for all we like to moan about.
For the record I meant the torontonians that do not even visit their own city. There’s countless torontonians which never go to places like the ROM,AGM and places like CN Tower. For sure torontonians travel. I’m asking for all the hoopla that the suburbs are a cultural wasteland how many torontonians are actually cultured within their own city. But there’s differences in Toronto. There’s the south of bloor crowd which take the cake for thinking you get a nose bleed if you hit st Claire.

If Toronto gets 9 million visitors each year but the ROM only gets 1.3 millions visits then how many were actually Torontonians. If the AGO gets 1 million visits a year how many are Torontonians? If the CN tower attracts 2 Million visitors then how many were Torontonians?

With the continued gravitation of the 'city centre' down to VMC, the decision to replace City Hall and the central library up in Maple is that much more confusing...
It was equally confusing back in 2007-2009 when it was happening and it was clear that VMC would be the preferred location over the long term.

Honestly - I think Vaughan just cheaped out since they already owned the land up there. Why spend the money to buy high-density designated lands when you can build it at Major Mack on free land?

The one consolation is that it's at least walking distance from a GO station so it' somewhat transit accessible.

No more science centre. No more Ontario Place. Ed mirvish theatres closing. Bell light box having issues. Olivia chow begging people to go back to work so the rest of the businesses don’t die. Real cultural victories toronotonians are clinging too.

Back