Toronto Theatre District Residence & Riu Plaza Hotel | 156.05m | 49s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

I don't disagree in principle, but it's not that simple. In Toronto, balconies are often just all-weather storage space hanging off the building. Setbacks are measured to the building face and balconies do not count towards GFA, so it's essentially free space in the developer's eyes (not including hard costs). Combine that with a pre-sale market that demands them and it's kind of just a selling feature, not a real living space, unfortunately. Contrast that (as always, it seems) with the Lower Mainland, where outdoor space, even 50+ storeys up, is truly valued and developers work to make it usable. Take these two units in Concord's Metrotown project, both featuring large outdoor terraces regardless of unit size. Incomprehensible here, unfortunately:

View attachment 542367

View attachment 542368

View attachment 542370
It looks amazing those balconies , but how many months you can enjoy them ??

It looks amazing those balconies , but how many months you can enjoy them ??
Those particular ones will have full height glass enclosures around the balcony edge - one of the first around Metro Vancouver.
In Toronto, the much maligned Concord Canada House has radiant ceiling heaters on its balconies.

Those particular ones will have full height glass enclosures around the balcony edge - one of the first around Metro Vancouver.
In Toronto, the much maligned Concord Canada House has radiant ceiling heaters on its balconies.
Thank you , I haven’t appreciate it in the pictures , but is absolutely logical

Pictures taken March 2, 2024.

IMG_6833.JPG
IMG_6834.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6836.JPG
IMG_6837.JPG

March 4 Photos:

Good progress in enclosing the south building podium where the external construction hoist used to be - just some window openings needing their glazing. The upper portion of the south building still needs a lot of work to enclose the external hoist openings. The external construction hoist for the north building is still in place and in use.

1000003563.jpg

1000003562.jpg

20240304_124559.jpg

March 4 Photos:

Good progress in enclosing the south building podium where the external construction hoist used to be - just some window openings needing their glazing. The upper portion of the south building still needs a lot of work to enclose the external hoist openings. The external construction hoist for the north building is still in place and in use.

View attachment 545690

View attachment 545689

View attachment 545688
Any date for the opening ??

I dont understand this city's obsession with the ugly gap toothed cantilevers seperating podiums from the tower.

Other than that, this one's pretty nice.

I dont understand this city's obsession with the ugly gap toothed cantilevers seperating podiums from the tower.

Other than that, this one's pretty nice.
Maybe the goal is to give an old mood touch to the building .

Why would the city push a setback here between podium and tower? I don't know as the city does unexpected things.

As for the podium, It's brick with strong details and, It's completely at the whim of the interior layouts. I feel matching spandrel glass would be been aesthetically better than the brick spandrel. It's next to an authentic, symmetrical turn of the 20th century warehouse.doesn't do it any favours either.

Back