Toronto The United BLDG | 179.52m | 52s | Davpart | B+H

EBD4CA2C-5373-4097-8364-51F3FB08D0AE.jpeg
B7357BED-C867-47F8-8E2F-0D256E3E1C58.jpeg
810D4E6B-1B56-4AE8-98F4-41DAB8D32407.jpeg

When we toured this some months ago, we were told that EllisDon believed this might be the largest heritage retention in Canada ever at a redevelopment site, and @Red Mars and @Benito's photos above are pretty compelling evidence in favour of that claim. That's a lot of building to be holding up when everything behind it will be new… and when they have to dig four storeys down for a larger garage. Impressive.

When we toured this some months ago, we were told that EllisDon believed this might be the largest heritage retention in Canada ever at a redevelopment site, and @Red Mars and @Benito's photos above are pretty compelling evidence in favour of that claim. That's a lot of building to be holding up when everything behind it will be new… and when they have to dig four storeys down for a larger garage. Impressive.

It's been a while since I was here last and it was truly a WOW event taking these latest pics.

Insane effort. Probably would have been easier to remove it all and then put the facade back afterwards? What do I know? There are obviously logical reasons for going this route that I'm ignorant of.

I'm just totally impressed by the efforts here to maintain the exterior of one of the buildings that makes University Ave what it is. Similar levels of effort should be demanded for all University Ave intensification projects. I don't think I've ever been convinced a project will be executed well prior to excavating... I would also like to thank those who tirelessly take professional quality photographs of the construction techniques employed here.

Insane effort. Probably would have been easier to remove it all and then put the facade back afterwards? What do I know? There are obviously logical reasons for going this route that I'm ignorant of.
I guess it comes down to the design choices of what they wanted to keep. So I guess they weren't content in just saving the exterior walls, propping them up until they're ready to reconstruct the floors. Rather than here, saving the floors as well and then propping up the guts of it till they're ready to add in the new building...

...now we may not have also considered the usual way of saving the facade might not have worked here due to the height of walls they wanted to save. Remember160 Front West where they only saved the bottom portion of the facade, while rebuilding the rest up perhaps for similar reasons. So they maybe other structural reasons for doing this way along with keeping the authenticity.

Back