Hamilton Stirling Townes | 14.3m | 3s | Shane | KNYMH

Branden Simon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Stirling Townes - A preconstruction of 3-Storey 6 units of Townhouses located on 278 Wilson St E in Hamilton’s Ancaster village. This is an infill project.
IMG_1967.jpeg

IMG_1968.jpeg

IMG_1969.jpeg
IMG_1970.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

https://stirlingtownes.com/location/
Stirling Townes Brochure

One recent trend I'm noticing in lower-density architecture of late that I'm really loving and not hearing anyone talk about, is the move away from having gigantic two-car garages protruding from the front. Looking at townhomes built even just 10-15 years ago, it was so common for them to have these big garages projecting out of the front of the house, with a little alley next to the garage to get to the front door. But today, I'm seeing a lot more homes build the main living space above the garage, which itself is then recessed into the main structure as to deprioritize it in the massing. While the cynic in me can't help but feel this is partly to avoid digging-out a basement, I'm honestly a-okay with that if this is the result.

Also, while I'm definitely not the first to say this, it's great to see us finally building towns instead detached homes in our cities. Save detached homes for places with dirt roads and septic tanks! It's just so fiscally irresponsible to build them in our cities when the cost to maintain the infrastructure supporting them is more than they can possible generate in tax revenue. If people want to live in a city with low property taxes, towns are really the lowest density we can handle. Ok! Tangent over! 🙃

One recent trend I'm noticing in lower-density architecture of late that I'm really loving and not hearing anyone talk about, is the move away from having gigantic two-car garages protruding from the front. Looking at townhomes built even just 10-15 years ago, it was so common for them to have these big garages projecting out of the front of the house, with a little alley next to the garage to get to the front door. But today, I'm seeing a lot more homes build the main living space above the garage, which itself is then recessed into the main structure as to deprioritize it in the massing. While the cynic in me can't help but feel this is partly to avoid digging-out a basement, I'm honestly a-okay with that if this is the result.

Also, while I'm definitely not the first to say this, it's great to see us finally building towns instead detached homes in our cities. Save detached homes for places with dirt roads and septic tanks! It's just so fiscally irresponsible to build them in our cities when the cost to maintain the infrastructure supporting them is more than they can possible generate in tax revenue. If people want to live in a city with low property taxes, towns are really the lowest density we can handle. Ok! Tangent over! 🙃

I think a different cynical reason might be behind this, which is less deep lots, and therefore smaller lots and greater density per subdivision. But I agree that it is also architecturally more pleasing than the shoved-out-front garages.

I think a different cynical reason might be behind this, which is less deep lots, and therefore smaller lots and greater density per subdivision. But I agree that it is also architecturally more pleasing than the shoved-out-front garages.
For sure! I realized after posting that, based on the rear elevation, these homes do indeed have basements. I'd also add, I think another, at least "soft" factor, is shifting attitudes towards 3-4 storey houses. Those protruding garage homes are often only two-storeys. Granted, building on your point, these shifting attitudes may actually simply be thrusted upon people as a result of the less deep parcels. But heck! That's just the reality of urban living for you! 😁👍

Back