Toronto Scarborough Town Centre Block 2 | 168.8m | 53s | Oxford Properties | Sweeny &Co

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This application to the AIC is for the second development block to be pursued as part of the Scarborough Town Centre Masterplan for redevelopment.

It is situated at the north-east corner of McCowan and Triton on what is currently mall parking and will feature two purpose-built rental towers at 51s and 53s.

The intent is for this development to feature a signature entrance to the new subway station.

First, a quick look at the existing site: (From the Docs)

1674730049754.png

1674730115897.png

The App:

1674730188925.png

From the Docs:

1674730260754.png

1674730297321.png

Streetview from Triton (South-East Corner)

1674730340088.png

Streetview from Progress and McCowan (North East Corner)

1674730380879.png

Streetview: Borough Drive frontage

1674730462877.png

Site Plan:

1674730522146.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1674730592110.png

1674730676831.png

Overview:

1674730739736.png

1674730765039.png

I am on the record for thinking the Scarborough subway extension was a massive waste of money. That said between these new developments and what’s happening at VMC I don’t know how much I can argue anymore and I have become an advocate for a GO expansion to square one or a line two extension. We can all be mad at Doug ford for opening the green belt but here in Toronto NIMBYs shut down everything that isn’t a mall parking lot. This isn’t the ideal city building but perhaps what works is what matters most.

Wow nice rich looking towers love the columns, trims etc! Would of love to see more of this kind of facade in the downtown core for some diversity!

Not a terrible proposal at first glance, but it definitely needs some finessing.

I mean - what is this crap?

1674740510210.png

Nice large, 2-level retail unit right beside the subway station entrance - great! But why the hell do you have to put an exit stair *and* a garage vent to seperate the two? The renderings also conveniently show this as vision glass into the retail unit, of course...

Also:

1674740615455.png

Wrapping above grade parking is great. But why do you have to reveal the structured parking right above the subway entrance? That's the most important point where it should be hidden..

I am on the record for thinking the Scarborough subway extension was a massive waste of money. That said between these new developments and what’s happening at VMC I don’t know how much I can argue anymore and I have become an advocate for a GO expansion to square one or a line two extension. We can all be mad at Doug ford for opening the green belt but here in Toronto NIMBYs shut down everything that isn’t a mall parking lot. This isn’t the ideal city building but perhaps what works is what matters most.

It really took the subway to be fully funded for STC to start seeing development again. There were long stretches where NYCC and other growth centres were booming and STC remained stagnant. At least Ford is making use of what seems to be a political consensus (outside of the Annex, Danforth NIMBYs, etc.) that major transit stations require serious density. Similarly, once Line 4 is extended to McCowan/Sheppard and Sheppard West, I would expect some absolutely massive redevelopment along that corridor. The population growth numbers in the GTA keep getting revised upwards as well, so I would imagine the business cases for subway projects over LRT make a lot more sense these days.

It really took the subway to be fully funded for STC to start seeing development again. There were long stretches where NYCC and other growth centres were booming and STC remained stagnant. At least Ford is making use of what seems to be a political consensus (outside of the Annex, Danforth NIMBYs, etc.) that major transit stations require serious density. Similarly, once Line 4 is extended to McCowan/Sheppard and Sheppard West, I would expect some absolutely massive redevelopment along that corridor. The population growth numbers in the GTA keep getting revised upwards as well, so I would imagine the business cases for subway projects over LRT make a lot more sense these days.
Please remember us transit peasants in Mississauga

Watching to see what the OMERS / OXFORD folks as a "affordable rental" unit count within this 1,000+ unit project... 👀

New sign, but no new Docs, since Dec'22
Our assumption is that the negotiations between Infrastructure Ontario, Metrolinx, their Scarborough Transit Connect (STATION) partners - and OXFORD/OMERS about the "new entrance to the Scarborough Centre subway station at grade" -- are hitting the usual "too many cooks" problems.

Until that gets 100% LOCKED -- I would not expect a resubmission or any update on the new housing above.

Dec 5, 2022 - https://www.metrolinx.com/en/discover/partner-selected-for-scarborough-subway-extension-stations

Back