Toronto Quay House | 73.15m | 21s | Empire | Kirkor

Wow, the horizontal expression of the podium on the DRP I submission was far better. Even the upper portion of the building was better with a relatively clean grid expression. Why on earth were they encouraged to change it to a mess of different coloured panels? Jesus.

That 2-bedroom layout is horrible. You don't build a liveable, sustainable city when you create places that nobody will be able to comfortably live unless they're a desperate renter and they have little other choice.

Shame on this.

4gwaesd.JPG
4tf3weq.JPG
56hertsd.JPG
rgeads.JPG

Wow, the horizontal expression of the podium on the DRP I submission was far better. Even the upper portion of the building was better with a relatively clean grid expression. Why on earth were they encouraged to change it to a mess of different coloured panels? Jesus.

That 2-bedroom layout is horrible. You don't build a liveable, sustainable city when you create places that nobody will be able to comfortably live unless they're a desperate renter and they have little other choice.

Shame on this.
No kidding wow. Who in the world would want the second bathroom over a living room that is big enough to use. Really, 2 bathrooms in 600sqft?!

What are the two rectangular parts in the 2 and 3 bedroom layouts? I originally thought they were balconies, but I don't see doors to access them?

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 2.12.16 PM.png

What are the two rectangular parts in the 2 and 3 bedroom layouts? I originally thought they were balconies, but I don't see doors to access them?

View attachment 224518

I'd imagine they just haven't drawn them on there. Sliding balcony doors are shown on the architectural plans.

View attachment 224518

Do the people designing these floor plans have any concept of what it's like to live in a condo? Look at the 3 bd. There's no front closet! Where are you supposed to put all your shoes, boots, jackets, vacuum cleaner etc. for an entire family? If you want families living in the core, you have to make the space usable. The 2 bedroom doesn't even have room for a couch! Ridiculous. Oh and the building is "puke emoji here".

Last edited:
Wow. This is pretty uninspired, disappointing, and unfortunately a perfect summary of all that can be wrong in the economics of Toronto condo-building.

This is on a realtor website (https://vipcondostoronto.net/property/empire-quay-house/) : .....

According to proposed plans for these Queens Quay East condos, the Empire Quay House project will include about 460 suites broken down into:

• 342 one-bedroom units averaging 463 square feet (43 square metres)
  • 69 two-bedroom units averaging 700 square feet (65 square metres)
  • 49 three-bedroom units averaging 1,012 square feet (94 square metres)

Planned amenities include:

• Fully equipped gym and yoga studio
  • Walkout balcony with beautiful views of Queens Quay
  • Coworking space for telecommuters with break rooms and study areas
  • Indoor kitchen with adjacent private dining area
  • Rooftop terrace with outdoor seating, a barbecue pit, and an exercise area for dogs
Parking facilities will include a four-level below-grade private garage with 210 parking spots and bike lockers. A bicycle maintenance and repair dock will be built at ground level, along with a private road allowing easier access to the underground structure.

Empire Communities is known for creating high-density communities that transform their neighbourhoods, and Empire Quay House is primed to deliver yet another success story.

These architects really need to get out more. Their overwrought designs are intended to create unique architectural expressions but come off as superficial and overcomplicated. Can we please get something simple, timeless and not fussy?

Back