Oakville Oak Residences | 16m | 4s | Modern Skyline | Hicks Design Studio

Memph

Member Bio
Reaction score
A 13 unit development with 22 parking spaces (16 underground, 6 covered spots at the side, screened from the street) at 156-160 Trafalgar Road on what is currently a vacant lot.
http://goo.gl/maps/NZ15y

Most of the trees look like they'll be preserved.

West (Trafalgar) elevation:
TrafalgarOaks_zps1940b121.png

What a disaster. The first proposal could have been way better for the area, with not only more units but also a more classic, pseudo-Victorian feel. I usually love this architectural style but I can't say it's the best pick for downtown Oakville.

While I find that the new design has somewhat more merit, there isn't much to distinguish it either in terms of architecture. The only feature of note is the stone facade, which isn't even all stone.

The roofline devolved from an interesting pitched roof with dormers to a utilitarian grey-paneled mechanical penthouse.

Proposed 4 storey, 10 unit building in downtown Oakville.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 223839.png
Screenshot 2023-03-28 224202.png
Screenshot 2023-03-28 224247.png

Half of the site is currently an Endodontics office (dental tissue repair, had to google that) which used to be a single-family dwelling. The other half is undeveloped.
Screenshot 2023-03-28 223344.png

This proposal would require the removal of two very large trees; the one towards the left in the screenshot above, and the one far behind it, pictured below from Dunn Street.
Screenshot 2023-03-28 224425.png

Town of Oakville page https://www.oakville.ca/business-de...gn-studio-156-160-trafalgar-road-1613-106-01/

We don't need more $2.5MM dollar suites in Oakville.
Maybe, but in this part of Oakville market drivers are going to lead to those or near price levels. Walking distance to downtown is very much in demand. And the money is there to make these type of purchases. We could build plenty of 4 -5- 6 story units between Douglas and Dorval and south of Cornwall (lets call that Olde Oakville) infilling the myriad parking lots, and from Speers north you have an opportunity to capitalize on height (if you wish) and density along better transit routes (for both the personal transit option and the more public OT and GO options, and maybe even a BRT on Dundas). I would just add that those 'walkups' make for nice neighborhoods. I am in Montreal this week working and living in a company condo in one of these newer neighborhoods close to the new REM. Walkable areas, the buildings feel more 'scaled' to the human being, far less shadow and bulk. They should put more surface parking underground, and cars rule here as well. Its very much a work in progress, and it will be interesting to see what effects the opening of the REM will have.

Why do they feel compelled to go with the spandreltized crown? And funny that the upper image above shows it as lowest grade raised-mullion window wall, while the lower image tries to show it as capless curtain wall. Either way… really?

And believe it or not the lower (curtain wall) rendering is actually the newer of the two.

Just putting it out there...but having face caps does not make something a window wall. Curtain-wall can can have face caps as well.

For a building this size, practically guaranteed that the top level of glazing is a stick-built storefront curtain-wall system.

Not sure why you would want to go for the whole mechanical penthouse look with the spandrel parapet. Looks like shit.

Back