Markham Markham Woodside Redevelopment | ?m | 35s | SmartCentres | Turner Fleischer

StealthyArrow

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposal to build a multi-phased, multi-building, mixed use development at 3075, 3083, 3105, 3131, 3135, 3155 and 3175 Highway 7.
"The Proposed Development consists of eight phases with a number of buildings including 18 towers that range in height from 20 to 35 storeys with mid-rise podium elements and townhouse blocks, and approximately 5,271 residential units and 9,061 m2 (97,535 ft2 ) of retail Gross Floor Area (“GFA”)." https://pub-markham.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=49333
Screenshot (1964).png
Screenshot (1966).png
Screenshot (1967).png

Proposal to build a multi-phased, multi-building, mixed use development at 3075, 3083, 3105, 3131, 3135, 3155 and 3175 Highway 7.
"The Proposed Development consists of eight phases with a number of buildings including 18 towers that range in height from 20 to 35 storeys with mid-rise podium elements and townhouse blocks, and approximately 5,271 residential units and 9,061 m2 (97,535 ft2 ) of retail Gross Floor Area (“GFA”)." https://pub-markham.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=49333
View attachment 386543View attachment 386544View attachment 386545

While the filing document identifies the joint venture of Calloway Reit (Woodside) and Canadian Property Holdings (Ontario) Inc. as the applicant, Calloway Reit is actually a subsidiary of SmartCentres Reit (they combined back in 2015). According to the SmartCentres web site, SmartCentres owns 50% of the Woodside Power Centre.

Presumably as this was a pre-existing joint venture with Canadian Property Holdings, the already in place site specific holding company was maintained and continued with the Calloway name, even though the Calloway component is now a wholly owned component of SmartCentres. Calloway Reit itself no longer exists. For purposes of identifying the actual beneficial owner of the property in the thread title, it may be more appropriate to use SmartCentres as opposed to Calloway in identifying the developer.

As a long-time Markham taxpayer, no one should be complaining about density along the very expensive transitway we built on Highway 7. I'll try and find the document, but I think part of the yellow-belt to the north is slated for redevelopment per the MTSA for VIVA.

As a long-time Markham taxpayer, no one should be complaining about density along the very expensive transitway we built on Highway 7. I'll try and find the document, but I think part of the yellow-belt to the north is slated for redevelopment per the MTSA for VIVA.
I thought BRTs were dirt cheap

I thought BRTs were dirt cheap
"Of this, $2 billion is for bus rapid transit [BRT] projects on Highway 7, Yonge Street and Davis Drive, in Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughan and Newmarket. BRT costs include road widening for rapidways, vivastations along each corridor, and new facilities, terminals, and vehicles."

I mean, it's a lot of kilometers of BRT, but $2 billion is a huge investment.

"Of this, $2 billion is for bus rapid transit [BRT] projects on Highway 7, Yonge Street and Davis Drive, in Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughan and Newmarket. BRT costs include road widening for rapidways, vivastations along each corridor, and new facilities, terminals, and vehicles."

I mean, it's a lot of kilometers of BRT, but $2 billion is a huge investment.
Especially when you only run buses along them occasionally. YRT should consider actually providing reasonable service levels on the routes to build confidence and (therefore) ridership.

Back