Markham Markham Town Square Redevelopment (Phase 1) | ?m | 48s | SmartCentres | Diamond Schmitt

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A story indicating pending redevelopment of this plaza, at north-east corner of Warden and Highway 7.

I'm pretty sure we have discussed this site before, but there is no pin on the map, and I couldn't find a relevant thread.

From the article:

1646949871433.png

1646949890402.png

Phase 1 would be 1,666 units and ~60,000ft2 of retail.

Site address is 8601 Warden Avenue

I believe this is the application number:

21 139592 000 00 PLAN

Streetview:

1646950444698.png

1646950488537.png

1646950506524.png

Aerial View:

1646950567420.png

Full Credit to @hw621 who found the article and posted in the Downtown Markham thread.

The biggest loss would be Felix and Norton.
Felix and Norton is a gem, hopefully they are able to relocate somewhere nearby! There is not many small businesses in the area and there aren't many businesses like them in Markham. I suspect the No Frills or a grocery store to be put in the podium of one of these buildings, and it seems like the logical thing would be to move the grocery store in to the podium of Phase One, so the area would never go without it.

The No Frills is important for the neighbourhood

Absolutely there is a need for a grocery store; perhaps even a discount format one.

, the McDonalds is a well for the Unionville HS kids, hopefully they move under another condo building before the development closes it.

Can't agree to this; there is never a need for a McDs.

I would disown my niece if she set foot in one, LOL

Hamburgers are fine and so is low-cost food.

But a plastic environment, treated w/bubble-gum scented disinfectant, that sells what McDs does and passes it off as food............not so much.

How about the kids try a local indy burger/pizza place instead?

Absolutely there is a need for a grocery store; perhaps even a discount format one.

Can't agree to this; there is never a need for a McDs.

I would disown my niece if she set foot in one, LOL

Hamburgers are fine and so is low-cost food.

But a plastic environment, treated w/bubble-gum scented disinfectant, that sells what McDs does and passes it off as food............not so much.

How about the kids try a local indy burger/pizza place instead?
I presume you live in city did not live in suburban areas or know this area well. That McDonalds is the closest food out in a 20 minute walk radius. Theres no choice.

I presume you live in city did not live in suburban areas or know this area well. That McDonalds is the closest food out in a 20 minute walk radius. Theres no choice.

There can be. Others will fill the void, if it's not McDs.

Insist on a place w/low-cost food, that can be had 'to go'.

Not on a particular corporate brand of no particular value.

There can be. Others will fill the void, if it's not McDs.

Insist on a place w/low-cost food, that can be had 'to go'.

Not on a particular corporate brand of no particular value.
Realistic in Alice in Wonderland, but not really in Markham. Theres a reason why Big Chains are as big as they are.

Ah yes, SmartCentres, where the "Smart" is inspired by the Borg... /sigh

The block size is way too large!

That site is 290M across from Warden to Verclaire.

Block sizes should be ~100M which means there should be three blocks across the site, not two; (I'd frankly like them to be porous to pedestrians at a greater rate with one or more mid-block connections as well.

I can live with the block length on the N-S axis; but again, I want to see mid-block porosity, not ~100M of unending streetwall with no cut-throughs.

Also, the tiny park against Highway 7 is a silly idea. Who wants to relax or play next to that stroad? Pull that building forward. Add additional park space contiguous the one already proposed so it can be programmed in a more functional manner. (not net change in total park space)

Back