Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

True, but once you've given it to roads and planned buildings around it, it's hard to go back and create a more vibrant neighbourhood. I still have hopes that Canary is going to get a lot better as it fills up, but that wide Front St is killing it as a place to walk/hang out.
Wide Front St in Canary is killing it as a place to walk/hang out? Whereabouts? I see no issue with the redeveloped streetscape here, for pedestrians I think the less appealing parts of Front St are west of Trinity.

Wide Front St in Canary is killing it as a place to walk/hang out? Whereabouts? I see no issue with the redeveloped streetscape here, for pedestrians I think the less appealing parts of Front St are west of Trinity.
Yeah. Even though there's some decent restaurants and a nice coffee shop, you can walk the whole strip and hardly see another human. The grocery store may help bring a little life, but the wide expanse makes it seem uninviting and it would take a lot of foot traffic to change that.

Morning update. Exhibit A (big upstream plug) B (playground) and C (unplugged) (cell pics)…

IMG_9961.jpeg

IMG_9957.jpeg

IMG_9956.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

Virtually all of this high water level is from the abnormal rainfalls of late. On April 3rd alone, an ‘atmospheric river’ of rain set its sights on the east side of downtown (my wet tenanted basement can attest to this, thankfully I have understanding tenants). A month’s worth of rain fell in 3 hours on much of this catchment basin. Then more a few days ago plus another round tomorrow into Thursday.

IMG_9954.jpeg

IMG_9953.jpeg

IMG_9950.jpeg

IMG_9952.jpeg

IMG_9947.jpeg

IMG_9949.jpeg

Received about 15 mm of rain in this latest round. The river is up incrementally from a couple of days ago. Gives some idea where water might go when a surge of water descends from the upper Don. Also impressive work clearing the north plug. A couple of days ago they were clearing earth to the right of the blue-painted Gardiner support, now it’s to the left of that….

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0053.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow that North Plug digging is moving along really quickly. When do they hope to have that gone by? I'm hoping just a month or two more, not like Fall 2024.

Wow that North Plug digging is moving along really quickly. When do they hope to have that gone by? I'm hoping just a month or two more, not like Fall 2024.
It is certainly exciting to see the north plug being exposed but, just because they COULD remove the north plug does not mean they will. I am not an expert, but it may be better to finish the river work north of it (the ice and debris area) and the dredging of the Villiers channel first so that the new river valley does not get 'flooded' with all the crap that is there at the moment. Last I heard they were talking of opening the north plug in 'fall 2024' and we may need to wait until then.

Excellent pics above @skycandy .

Looking at this one:

1713463497642.jpeg

I observe a couple of dead confers in the planting mix and a couple more looking very sickly, though a majority seem to be doing ok. I wonder if they got wind burn, young transplanted conifers are very susceptible to that, that's why you often see them wrapped in burlap for their first winter.

The two cedars off amidst the grass have my attention due to their form. They look suspiciously like a Cedar cultivar to me. That particular conical form isn't what I would typically expect from the pure native, though, there is always
individual variation.

Last edited:
Excellent pics above @skycandy .

Looking at this one:

View attachment 557366

I observe a couple of dead confers in the planting mix and a couple more looking very sickly, though a majority seem to be doing ok. I wonder if they got wind burn, young transplanted conifers are very susceptible to that, that's why you often see them wrapped in burlap for their first winter.

The two cedars off amidst the grass have my attention due to heir form. They look suspiciously like a Cedar cultivar to me. That particular conical form isn't what I would typically expect from the pure native, though, there is always
individual variation.

Rather curious how I had images of Northern Light dancing in my head as I snapped that shot! :)

Back