Markham First Studio City | ?m | 2s | Remington Group | BDP Quadrangle

Y'know, I am beginning to wonder if all these recent announcements regarding new and/or substantially expanded film and television production space in the GTA is in fact sustainable... on the other hand, it's a sign that the industry here is no longer in its fragile infancy. But still. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two owners of these colossal spaces doesn't end up taking a rather painful bath. All it takes is a harsh economic downturn or the rise of American cultural and economic protectionism and we'd be in a situation where we have significantly more studio space than the market demands. Hope I'm wrong on that score.

With the streaming stuff, there are so many productions going on now because they just need all that sweet, sweet content. I guess it could change and I have no idea how Toronto's studio space now compares to LA or Vancouver, for example, but there's definitely been a consistent uptrend, notwithstanding the pandemic. I remember seeing a Toronto ec dev report... where was it?
Oh here:

1677168489358.png
1677168508514.png

I guess things could change but it seems like things have been going gangbusters for a while.

With the streaming stuff, there are so many productions going on now because they just need all that sweet, sweet content. I guess it could change and I have no idea how Toronto's studio space now compares to LA or Vancouver, for example,

LA had just over 5M ft2 of sound stage space in 2020, total.

This report is a couple of years old, but gives a good sense of comparative scale:

From the above:

1677169025054.png

Here's the driver for new space:

1677169267951.png

LA had just over 5M ft2 of sound stage space in 2020, total.

This report is a couple of years old, but gives a good sense of comparative scale:

From the above:

View attachment 458247

Here's the driver for new space:

View attachment 458248
Was curious so looked it up, but this article said Georgia had 4M sq ft and growing as of August 2022. I knew they were a big player, but didn't realize how big compared to above.

Well, this is unexpected and exciting!

It looks like the site is at 14th Ave and McDowell Gate, just south of the 407 from Downtown Markham. http://firststudiocity.com/contact/
I think the actual site is around Birchmount and McNabb, on the site of the Oasis Fitness:

Back