News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 581     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Definitely the signal changes that you suggested would be helpful. Dedicated signals that reduce signage clutter are much more clear. And near-side signals for their safety benefits too.

I am concerned about the people making left-turns on a red light though, that's just unacceptable and I don't think we should make more concessions for red light runners. The other factors you suggested could definitely prevent this from happening.

For example, on Adelaide Street where the City has activated new protected left turn signals. I fully saw people just driving through a red light. I know the typical argument is that they're "not used to it" but, it's a red light, it's in the HTA, it's in the driver's handbook. Why is it that driver's get a pass for doing something illegal.
Is there something in the regulations that allows dedicated left turn signals in peak hours and "free for all on thru green" outside of peak? Or is that simply a technology limitation where it cannot be done unless the dedicated lights and sign can rotate out of sight or disappear?

Is there something in the regulations that allows dedicated left turn signals in peak hours and "free for all on thru green" outside of peak? Or is that simply a technology limitation where it cannot be done unless the dedicated lights and sign can rotate out of sight or disappear?
I'm curious why you would want this? Protected left-turn phases are much better for pedestrian and cycling safety.

Definitely the signal changes that you suggested would be helpful. Dedicated signals that reduce signage clutter are much more clear. And near-side signals for their safety benefits too.

I am concerned about the people making left-turns on a red light though, that's just unacceptable and I don't think we should make more concessions for red light runners. The other factors you suggested could definitely prevent this from happening.

For example, on Adelaide Street where the City has activated new protected left turn signals. I fully saw people just driving through a red light. I know the typical argument is that they're "not used to it" but, it's a red light, it's in the HTA, it's in the driver's handbook. Why is it that driver's get a pass for doing something illegal.
You need to address the cause not the symptom which is incompetent and blind drivers. make red light turn accidents a serious ticket offence and up the fine/punishment for those who get caught by police.

You need to address the cause not the symptom which is incompetent and blind drivers. make red light turn accidents a serious ticket offence and up the fine/punishment for those who get caught by police.

Driving through a red light is clearly unacceptable, but I have some sympathy for the human nature elements that cause drivers to push the envelope making left turns at the end of a light cycle.

Left turns are often a "when the stars align" situation, and having things almost line up only to have the light cycle time out (or one last pedestrian dash into the intersection, or a car come out of nowhere in the opposing direction) is inherently frustrating for most people. IF the driver has entered the intersection and then stopped, they have an obligation to complete their turn.

The only acceptable driver behaviour is to stay chill, maybe wait out one more light cycle and not make sudden or desperate moves.

However.... whenever the light pattern can reduce this by separating the "turning driver has priority" from the "others have priority", the less room there is for driver error.

- Paul

I'm curious why you would want this? Protected left-turn phases are much better for pedestrian and cycling safety.
I personally don't want it as it could reduce safety, but I can understand drivers who are annoyed by left turn only on green arrow signals not being able to turn when road and sidewalk are empty or on yellow light.

Can't Ontario just adopt red arrows (and white transit signals) like so many other jurisdictions?

Add red and (flashing) yellow arrows to the mix and you are good to go.
Example
Obviously this wouldn't work on road with in-median transit lanes.

Eglinton Crosstown LRT​

Construction Notice
5692fa05-39ce-4499-beba-e6034a51172c.png

Holly Street Closure at Eglinton Avenue East​

As early as Friday, August 18, 2023​

869233d4-aab9-4de5-1724-ec5d13b3ed97.png
What Work is Taking Place?
As early as Friday, August 18, 2023, Holly Street will be closed at Eglinton Avenue East for approximately three (3) months to facilitate utility upgrades at Eglinton Station. The closure will be in place 24-hours a day, seven (7) days a week. A work zone will be erected on Holly Street south of Eglinton Avenue East. Construction activities are expected to take place between 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and will include excavation, wet and dry utility installations, concrete works, backfilling, and paving. All other traffic staging will remain in place. Occasional overnight work may be required for special activities. Upon completion of this work, short term lane reductions may be required to facilitate special activities. Please review the complete notice or visit www.metrolinx.com/eglintoncrosstownlrt for more information.

What to Expect
No vehicular access between Eglinton Avenue East and Holly Street. Noise from construction activity, including trucks, breaking of concrete and asphalt, utility work, and use of heavy equipment can be expected. Construction vehicles and trucks will stage within work zones and traffic tapers. Traffic barrels, fencing, signage, and other equipment will be erected to delineate work zones. Occasionally, the use of a hydro-vacuum truck, jack-hammer, and/or compaction roller will be required. Occasional overnight work may be required for special activities. Expect delays while traveling through the area.

HOURS OF WORK
• As early as Friday, August 18, 2023, Holly Street will be closed at Eglinton Avenue East for approximately three (3) months.
• Work is expected to take place on Monday – Saturday between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
• Occasional overnight work may be required for special activities.
• Work may be rescheduled due to inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances.
• Work may be longer or shorter than expected.

TRAFFIC DETAILS
• Holly Street will be closed at Eglinton Avenue East.
• All other traffic staging will remain in place.
• Access to driveways will be maintained at all times.

PEDESTRIAN DETAILS
• Pedestrians will be rerouted south around the work zone on Holly Street.
• Sidewalks widths on Holly Street may be reduced in certain areas to accommodate the works.

TRANSIT INFORMATION
• Access to TTC will be maintained at all times.
• Please visit www.ttc.ca for more information.

- Further down the list, we find a few items that feel more dramatic than the aforementioned levies, including, at number 11, a push to potentially refuse to fund the operation of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Finch West subway lines that the city is currently on the hook to pay for.

BlogTO... I'll take that with a salt mine worth of salt.

The fact is the city has underfunded itself for over a decade. How we return to acceptable funding - and deciding what we will fund - will take a while to figure out. I suspect this is a play for provincial funding.

BlogTO... I'll take that with a salt mine worth of salt.

The fact is the city has underfunded itself for over a decade. How we return to acceptable funding - and deciding what we will fund - will take a while to figure out. I suspect this is a play for provincial funding.
What's the point in deferring something that they need to start Asap. The longer They defer the longer they start getting revenue back. It's not going to get Any cheaper and right now they are pointing themselves into a vicious spiral. They need to get this line opening right now and start getting money back

What's the point in deferring something that they need to start Asap. The longer They defer the longer they start getting revenue back. It's not going to get Any cheaper and right now they are pointing themselves into a vicious spiral. They need to get this line opening right now and start getting money back
In case you weren't aware, transit generally doesn't make a profit.

And rapid transit has humongous overhead costs that accrue regardless of the amount of service being run or the number of passengers being carried.

So in these cases, while the continued running of buses would be to the detriment of passengers, it would likely cause the TTC to spend less money than it would running the respective LRTs.

Dan

In case you weren't aware, transit generally doesn't make a profit.

And rapid transit has humongous overhead costs that accrue regardless of the amount of service being run or the number of passengers being carried.

So in these cases, while the continued running of buses would be to the detriment of passengers, it would likely cause the TTC to spend less money than it would running the respective LRTs.

Dan
I'll tell you that I am one of the many who is hinging on the cross town to make that switch from the car. The only reason why I'm not taking transit is that the 34 bus takes 45 minutes to do 5 km. Traffic jams have been mathematically proven to detriment the economy as well, Well it may not detriment the budget of ttc Everything around it will be affected

Back