News   Apr 18, 2024
 791     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 601     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Per a poster on Reddit apparently the driver was trying to make a u-turn. Take that with a grain of salt, since it’s a random poster, and who knows if it’s true or not - but it passes the smell test.
Must be an uber driver then. But seriously how can one think that they can jump over a raised ROW like that....🤔 truly astounding drivers we have here in the gta

Isn't Tobermory a light controlled intersection? I would expect this at intersections without traffic lights, but how the hell does this happen here?

Must be an uber driver then. But seriously how can one think that they can jump over a raised ROW like that....🤔 truly astounding drivers we have here in the gta
I stopped using Uber some time ago, but around 2019 I got in one and when I told the driver my destination was to Exhibition Place his response was "Oh, I don't know what that is, I only arrived in Canada yesterday."
I desperately needed to get there fast, so I rolled with it and looked up the actual address of the building--something-or-other on Princes' Boulevard--so he could use his GPS to type it in and figure out how to get there (he had difficulty understanding it was Princes' Blvd. and not Princess Blvd. too so the GPS wouldn't work how he entered it, but, yeah remember the days of taxi drivers having to take a knowledge test of roads in the city to get a licence? Maybe we went too far in the other direction because how the hell did he even actually have a drivers licence? I bet Uber simply didn't care.

Last edited:
I stopped using Uber some time ago, but around 2019 I got in one and when I told the driver my destination was to Exhibition Place his response was "Oh, I don't know what that is, I only arrived in Canada yesterday."
I desperately needed to get there fast, so I rolled with it and looked up the actual address of the building--something-or-other on Princes' Boulevard--so he could use his GPS to type it in and figure out how to get there (he had difficulty understanding it was Princes' Blvd. and not Princess Blvd. too so the GPS wouldn't work how he entered it, but, yeah remember the days of taxi drivers having to take a knowledge test of roads in the city to get a licence? Maybe we went too far in the other direction because how the hell did he even actually have a drivers licence? I bet Uber simply didn't care.
Anytime I've used Uber I've had to put the destination when requesting the ride. AFAIK the app the drivers use gives them directions and you shouldn't ever have to tell them how to get anywhere.

You cannot use any ride sharing app without putting in the address now. The app will give you an approximate price when you book your ride.

Uber is not so bad if you get the right driver. I have got some that were very friendly while I have others who were focused on the job as if it was all that mattered.

My main gripes with Uber are usually on pickups. I've had multiple times where a driver accepted a ride but never came (I could see them waiting several km away), I think waiting for me to cancel the ride. I've also tried it from the airport and the uber driver didn't know about the designated pickup area on the lower level so I had to schlep up to the arrivals level to meet him.

Per a poster on Reddit apparently the driver was trying to make a u-turn. Take that with a grain of salt, since it’s a random poster, and who knows if it’s true or not - but it passes the smell test.

That's how the majority of ION's 'accidents' have happened. People making U-turns where they're not permitted and signalized.

That's how the majority of ION's 'accidents' have happened. People making U-turns where they're not permitted and signalized.
To be fair, ION is much more akin to a Streetcar. A lot of places where its running are curbside along the road in Downtown Kitchener and Uptown Waterloo, and tracks cross many driveways with just "look out for trains"" signs. And at intersections, rather than signalizing every turning movement for drivers and putting a turning lane, A digital sign will just light up everytime there's a train to warn drivers not to turn.

You'll be surprised to hear how well this actually works. I assume drivers are accustomed to it. The transit priority's excellent here too, there's only a handful of times that trains actually have to stop a light.

The Agenda discussed the Crosstown debacle last night

I think the opportunity to comment on how government had messed up this project many times before it even started was largely absent from the talk.

From Bob Rae and Mike Harris delaying and then canceling the original Eglinton subway, then the delay of the portion to the airport by McGuinty, to finally Rob Ford declaring the line being entirely underground, only to be reversed by city hall, the line has really gone through decades of political meddling.

The Agenda discussed the Crosstown debacle last night

I think the opportunity to comment on how government had messed up this project many times before it even started was largely absent from the talk.

From Bob Rae and Mike Harris delaying and then canceling the original Eglinton subway, then the delay of the portion to the airport by McGuinty, to finally Rob Ford declaring the line being entirely underground, only to be reversed by city hall, the line has really gone through decades of political meddling.
Okay, but Crosstown in its more-or-less current form can only be traced back to 2007.

Column by Karen Stintz which includes:

"Although the federal Liberal government cannot be held to account for the current debacle, they are responsible for adding the unbudgeted stations of Leslie and Chesswood to the tune of $500 million and, with it, delays."

I don't remember this aspect. Anyone else have a bit more on the history?

Column by Karen Stintz which includes:

"Although the federal Liberal government cannot be held to account for the current debacle, they are responsible for adding the unbudgeted stations of Leslie and Chesswood to the tune of $500 million and, with it, delays."

I don't remember this aspect. Anyone else have a bit more on the history?
Chesswood isnt a station lol, "chesswood drive" is a street at downsview park

Leslie/sunnybrook park has a bit of history behind it. Where local residents wanted a stop either underground or grade-separated at grade stop
the cost for an underground stop there was about $100 million. the latter was also a timeline delay due to an ea

Is this person a legitimate writer? shes just making stuff up lol

There is no such thing as Chesswood station on ECLRT. The writer probably meant Oakwood station, and indeed some debate had happened about its addition.

I am not aware of any federal government role in the Oakwood station or Leslie station debate.

IMHO, Oakwood station is desirable, it serves an established community. Skipping that station would be the same kind of mean as skipping the Cummer station on the Yonge extension. Oakwood station (which is underground) did add to the costs, but I assume that was a lot less than 500 million given that the construction started more than 10 years ago and everything was cheaper back than.

Leslie station probably didn't add to the costs at all, because that station as at surface. Metrolinx wanted to skip that station and tunnel all the way from Brentcliffe to Don Mills, without any stations in between. Perhaps not a bad idea, taking into account very low density near Leslie station. But some of the few existing residents complained and the station was kept, at the cost of surfacing the line and having to depend on traffic lights en route from Brentcliffe to Don Mills. According to Metrolinx, the saving from the shorter tunnel balances out the cost of two extra portals and the surface Leslie station, making the latter cost-neutral.

Is this person a legitimate writer? shes just making stuff up lol
Karen Stintz is a former City councillor, best known for making the compromise with Rob Ford to get the Crosstown Built as an LRT, in exchange for getting the Sheppard Subway built as is. For better or worse, she's the reason why the Crosstown started construction when it did. What her credentials are as a writer I cannot say.

Karen Stintz is a former City councillor, best known for making the compromise with Rob Ford to get the Crosstown Built as an LRT, in exchange for getting the Sheppard Subway built as is. For better or worse, she's the reason why the Crosstown started construction when it did. What her credentials are as a writer I cannot say.
There is a lot odd in your comment there. The Sheppard Subway was fully built before the Eglinton Crosstown was even a twinkle in David Miller's eye.
Perhaps did you mean the Scarborough Subway extension?

And she's not a writer for The Star, it's simply an opinion column, but it was probably solicited by The Star for content because while a councilor she was also the Chair of the TTC for four years from 2010 to 2014, the exact years after the province axed billions of previously dedicated funding, so she was the point person on getting "something... anything" actually built.

Last edited:

Back