News   Apr 23, 2024
 188     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 701     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 437     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

And yet, they both have one thing in common: neither would feel any qualms about rushing a project through at the expense of quality so that they can enjoy their ROI / political success.

Never mind delivering a project quickly, can we get someone to do it halfway competently?

This station is huge! Shoutout to Super coffee at the corner of Eglinton and Weston Road. Photo taken 18 February.
F867126F-55E6-4C00-AD11-85845657EAAC.jpeg

Save it as you may but this is obviously the difference between a 4 profit development such as a big condo versus a for votes Bureaucratic organization. The former would rather get the operation started as soon as possible At the expense of aeshetic fit and finish to maximize ROI While the latter would rather wait until 100% finished to hail a political success.
Not sure if that's the best comparison. Condos during a hot real estate market were poorly constructed because the buyers didn't care. However, if you go to any Class A office building, owned by massive multi-generation pension funds, you bet they're well constructed, and yet they are rarely delayed years on end with no timeline of when it'll open. Can you imagine telling that to your corporate tenant? That you have no idea when the building will be ready.

I watched parts of the Metrolinx Directors meeting on YouTube. Without adding to conspiracies, the Manager who presented Crosstown was being careful with his wording around Construction vs Commissioning with regards to levels of completion and timing. When asked for a specific date, they did not give one however they were clear that the focus was on public safety and readiness and as someone mentioned above, a detailed and believable commissioning schedule. I did see a LinkedIn posting from Metrolinx, for an operational readiness manager for LRT projects so that might raise some questions.. To summarize my own opinion, I felt as though they were somewhat confident about finishing construction by summer and commissioning to follow., Depending on how much commissioning remains will determine opening date. A bit like what happened in London with the Elizabeth Line early last year. I think the trains will be far advanced and signalling along with it but the whole operations including fare systems, entry gates etc might take some time. Not sure about the status of fire systems which can be tricky as well.
Thanks for watching it in such detail. While the Elizabeth Line had its own problems, to compare our tiny light rail line with a line going across one of the oldest and largest city with 15+ interchange stations between multiple systems just shows the incompetence of this entire project. Fare gates are the same TTC fare gate; fares are literally the same with no distance based pricing, weekly cap, etc; trains don't share track with any other line. If they don't know how to build and commission a midtown LRT, they should probably tack on a decade behind schedule to the Ontario Line.

Thanks for watching it in such detail. While the Elizabeth Line had its own problems, to compare our tiny light rail line with a line going across one of the oldest and largest city with 15+ interchange stations between multiple systems just shows the incompetence of this entire project. Fare gates are the same TTC fare gate; fares are literally the same with no distance based pricing, weekly cap, etc; trains don't share track with any other line. If they don't know how to build and commission a midtown LRT, they should probably tack on a decade behind schedule to the Ontario Line.
It’s funny how they blasted the TTC for delays and overrun while claiming they are hiring “professionals” to build and manage the project. Now who is the loser.

I am interested in finding out more about the uses of the Kodak building at Mount Dennis station especially the auditorium that is planned. Unable to find anything online. If it is happening it would be a real asset to this growing community. Thanks!

I am interested in finding out more about the uses of the Kodak building at Mount Dennis station especially the auditorium that is planned. Unable to find anything online. If it is happening it would be a real asset to this growing community. Thanks!
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the auditorium is community space.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the auditorium is community space.
Wonder what will happen to the current Mount Dennis Community Hall located near the intersection of Eglinton Avenue West and Weston Road (4 Hollis Street)?

See link.

1676820462256.png

A 45 story condo is proposed to be built at 15 Hollis Street across the street. See link.

That building is the old Mount Dennis fire hall (the second on that side, the first was a shed immediately to the east) and back in the early days was used for a time as a community meeting hall as well as being the volunteers' fire station. It became a community hall again after the new fire hall on Lambton Ave was built and the York FD moved out..

I don't see a development application in the database at the moment, but given its proximity to Eglinton-Weston I'm sure the site's development potential is top of mind to somebody. There has also been a fair bit of study of heritage properties in the Mount Dennis area. I haven't seen a final product of that study.

- Paul

MD Replacement Hall.png

FYI the reason Eglinton LRT social media is not being updated is cause the contract with the social media team is over as of December 31, 2022 from what I heard. I guess Metrolinx was really betting on the project to be operational by end of last year. I wonder if they will rehire or give a contract to someone else at this point or just ride it out till the opening? I assume they will want to lay low social media wise till any concrete opening date is ready to be announced.

FYI the reason Eglinton LRT social media is not being updated is cause the contract with the social media team is over as of December 31, 2022 from what I heard. I guess Metrolinx was really betting on the project to be operational by end of last year. I wonder if they will rehire or give a contract to someone else at this point or just ride it out till the opening? I assume they will want to lay low social media wise till any concrete opening date is ready to be announced.
Considering how ML is trying to hide in shame and avoid all public interactions, you pretty much know the answer.

So when the open date for Line 5 is actually confirmed and when it opens, how will they announce on social media? Using the Metrolinx accounts or relying on the TTC?

Provincial LRT Program – Line 5 Eglinton
The TTC continues its operational readiness planning for revenue service, and is in active conversations with Metrolinx to refine the actual opening date. The TTC’s operational readiness continues to be on track with hiring and training of the various positions that are required to support the operations of Line 5 Eglinton. From a training perspective, the TTC has achieved their first major milestone on the mobilization of the line with 23 TTC Instructors having successfully completed the Train- Transit Network Expansion Update Page 10 of 23 the-Trainer program on the portion of the line that is available.

The TTC is working closely with Crosslinx Transit Solution (CTS) to finalize training for all 23 TTC Instructors on the full alignment when available. Due to the TTC’s Instructors in-depth operational knowledge and experience, significant feedback was provided to project partners to improve the readiness of the line and training program for the commencement of Operator training.

From a Testing and Commissioning (T&C) perspective, the TTC continues to work closely with Metrolinx to understand and refine the T&C plan and the TTC’s role. Currently, the T&C process used by Crosslinx Transit Solutions (CTS) involves defining sub-system packages and their technical, safety and security requirements. For each of those packages, an Inspection and Test Plan (ITP) is developed, to ensure all the subsystem requirements are implemented, verified and validated. The ITPs are continuously being updated as progress is made toward completion, as defined in a Quality Assurance process developed by CTS. Metrolinx has established a commissioning team to review and approve each of the packages. The commissioning team is actively involved in reviewing the documentation and witnessing testing as it progresses.

Safety requirements are also reviewed by a Metrolinx safety team, which includes a technical safety advisor and an Independent Safety Assessor.

As the ECLRT project progressed in 2023, the TTC’s supporting effort to the project increased in order to prepare TTC operating staff for the system’s eventual revenue service operation. Part of the effort involved is working collaboratively with Metrolinx and CTS to perform due diligence reviews of testing and commissioning reports and safety documentation to ensure the system’s readiness and safety for TTC’s instructor and operator training activities.

The TTC is also actively engaged in discussions and reviews with all stakeholders of the project.

Through the current negotiation of the Train Operating and Funding Agreement (TOFA), Metrolinx, the TTC and City of Toronto are collaboratively working towards its completion. In September 2022, the TTC and Metrolinx agreed on an “Early Start Agreement” based on the Operator Scope of Services to support ongoing mobilization efforts.

Provincial LRT Program – Line 5 Eglinton
The TTC continues its operational readiness planning for revenue service, and is in active conversations with Metrolinx to refine the actual opening date. The TTC’s operational readiness continues to be on track with hiring and training of the various positions that are required to support the operations of Line 5 Eglinton. From a training perspective, the TTC has achieved their first major milestone on the mobilization of the line with 23 TTC Instructors having successfully completed the Train- Transit Network Expansion Update Page 10 of 23 the-Trainer program on the portion of the line that is available.

The TTC is working closely with Crosslinx Transit Solution (CTS) to finalize training for all 23 TTC Instructors on the full alignment when available. Due to the TTC’s Instructors in-depth operational knowledge and experience, significant feedback was provided to project partners to improve the readiness of the line and training program for the commencement of Operator training.

From a Testing and Commissioning (T&C) perspective, the TTC continues to work closely with Metrolinx to understand and refine the T&C plan and the TTC’s role. Currently, the T&C process used by Crosslinx Transit Solutions (CTS) involves defining sub-system packages and their technical, safety and security requirements. For each of those packages, an Inspection and Test Plan (ITP) is developed, to ensure all the subsystem requirements are implemented, verified and validated. The ITPs are continuously being updated as progress is made toward completion, as defined in a Quality Assurance process developed by CTS. Metrolinx has established a commissioning team to review and approve each of the packages. The commissioning team is actively involved in reviewing the documentation and witnessing testing as it progresses.

Safety requirements are also reviewed by a Metrolinx safety team, which includes a technical safety advisor and an Independent Safety Assessor.

As the ECLRT project progressed in 2023, the TTC’s supporting effort to the project increased in order to prepare TTC operating staff for the system’s eventual revenue service operation. Part of the effort involved is working collaboratively with Metrolinx and CTS to perform due diligence reviews of testing and commissioning reports and safety documentation to ensure the system’s readiness and safety for TTC’s instructor and operator training activities.

The TTC is also actively engaged in discussions and reviews with all stakeholders of the project.

Through the current negotiation of the Train Operating and Funding Agreement (TOFA), Metrolinx, the TTC and City of Toronto are collaboratively working towards its completion. In September 2022, the TTC and Metrolinx agreed on an “Early Start Agreement” based on the Operator Scope of Services to support ongoing mobilization efforts.
If I read between the lines, we are still many months away from an opening announcement even.

Back