Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

What do you mean by I didn't provide a reason why this doesn't render the system worthless? This will iron itself out. This super tall will accept residents without passing inspection. I don't condone the actions taken here. I wouldn't do it and not because of liability. To refer to the continuation of construction with a stop work order in place as a criminal offense is extreme.. It's extreme that this renders the whole system worthless when situations like this have occurred as long as the system has existed.

The only remedy here is to demolish? A year or more to view the plans for a building permit? C'mon.
It's really unclear what you're actually advocating for. Am I understanding right that you think it's OK for Concord to flagrantly ignore the rules and continue building? If so, I truly hope that the city comes down hard and institutes a massive fine. (And that's saying a lot - per my record here I very much have a "build, build, build" mentality.)

I'm reacting to the counterproductive overreaction, For example, arresting people, demolishing work that could be perfectly sound and, claiming the system is worthless over this incident. The permitting process exists to protect owners like Concord from contractors' works... A fine is reasonable.as this is not a criminal action. I can't say if there is a fine if everything besides the missing permit is legit as I wouldn't operate this way. I'd fire the general contractor

I'm reacting to the counterproductive overreaction, For example, arresting people, demolishing work that could be perfectly sound and, claiming the system is worthless over this incident. The permitting process exists to protect owners like Concord from contractors' works... A fine is reasonable.as this is not a criminal action. I can't say if there is a fine if everything besides the missing permit is legit as I wouldn't operate this way. I'd fire the general contractor
Firing would also be a counterproductive overreaction according to your line of reasoning here. Just saying...

You do understand that when I said fired I didn't mean a firing line. How is firing someone that costs you a fine the same as imprisoning workers on site? Pointing out something said that is nuts means that you're supportive of the action taking place. Ye-ah, that's a little too black and white for the depth of conversation I'm interested in.

The Stop Work Order stands, it does not show as resolved, I do not see any applicable permits as issued.

I think this looks very bad on the City, they should be arresting workers on site. If people can flaunt City orders, it renders the entire system worthless.

I may or may not work for the City. There are many areas that are slow or broken, but in this instance I can assure you that Toronto Building / the Chief Building Official are not.

Under the Building Code Act, the City has a positive obligation to inspect and enforce. When the City learns of a contravention, action is almost immediate. Typically the CBO issues an Order, then charges, then the City will seek a court injunction.

Notably, the Building Code Act does not contain arrest powers, so this is not an option. An individual can face fines of up to $100,000 per offence, and a corporation up to $1.5 million per offence.

Working without a permit would expose a builder to massive liability if something went wrong, so it is more likely the permit has been issued, the work doesn't require a permit, or this is a mistake.

Since none of us are the Chief Building Official, this entire conversation seems like pure speculation and overreaction. If you're concerned, report it to the City.

They either got their permit or are openly defying the order. I saw workers and cement trucks on the site today and the crane was operational.

I cannot find a valid permit on the system; the Stop Work Order is listed as 'Not Resolved'.

The details of which come from a May 19 site visit:

1689292906128.png

Perhaps @Dr. Snoot ; our esteemed member and best dressed rabbit anywhere, might have some further insight. But as it stands, this would seem to be a rather serious problem.

I did ask UT (as in readers of this thread) to phone Toronto Buildings. But it would seem nobody has; I may yet; but I meet w/lots of City folks regularly and don't want to be too much of a PITA.

My highly uneducated guess is that the developer is hedging their bets and defying the work stop. They probably know that the City is highly short staffed and can’t do anything about it, a fine is slap on the wrist, they have Queens Park on their side (not sure how they would influence), and considering the housing crunch at the moment they will use that as an example of red tape etc.

Bully tactics 101. Developers probably see the City as weak nowadays and openly defy them.

Just my guess.

My highly uneducated guess is that the developer is hedging their bets and defying the work stop. They probably know that the City is highly short staffed and can’t do anything about it, a fine is slap on the wrist, they have Queens Park on their side (not sure how they would influence), and considering the housing crunch at the moment they will use that as an example of red tape etc.

Bully tactics 101. Developers probably see the City as weak nowadays and openly defy them.

Just my guess.
Also makes you wonder if they’re willing to flout permits/work stoppage orders, how concerned are they about other rules and regulations, like oh, say, worker and public safety?

I’m sure there’d be a union or two that might have something to say about the work continuing.

I'm curious, if they were to injure someone while working without a permit, would Concord's insurance company be able to make the case that Concord were working without a permit, and not pay up? If so, that seems a tad risky to me.

Back