News   Jul 12, 2024
 831     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 337     0 

Toronto buildings everyone loves to hate, but you think are OK

Spoonman

Member Bio
Reaction score
As the subject title suggests, this thread is devoted to the black sheep of the local urban landscape that you think have, undeservedly, earned a so-called "bad rap".

I will begin by nominating 2 Bloor West. Sure, it's seen better days and perhaps some think the colour palette could be more forgiving, but somehow the soaring lines and dismal colours exude some kind of ominous power over me as only an architectural child of the 70's could. Besides, I personally think it's a looker compared to its neighbour across Yonge street.

2_bloor_st_w.jpg

edit: courtesy of UrbanDB

It's your turn to nominate yours.

1StThomasRender.jpg

Developer: Lee Development Group
Architect: Robert A.M. Stern

Robarts Library:

I did a search on Flickr for "ugly building Toronto", and I thought that none of the buildings deserved their labels until I found the photo of the slab apartment with its strictly utilitarian smoke stack. I've also come to see the Sheraton Centre as having an "undeserved bad rap".

Personally I have nothing against either of the office towers at Yonge and Bloor. They are what they are... from a past era. Recently I have noticed that the glass on 2 Bloor E. has a lovely aqua blue colour to it that looks great on a sunny day... These buildings have always had a commanding presence on this corner - they are landmarks.

Somehow, I find 2 Bloor W *and* E effective in tandem, as a downtown/uptown gateway sort of thing.

Note: the 2BE aqua blue glass is the result of a retrofit of a few years ago (and in my way, I sorta miss the bulky old 70s sash)

When it comes to somebody like Teeple, it depends on who "everybody" is...

For a "child of the 70s", 2 Bloor West is not bad. It at least has a main entrance at street grade, unlike its neighbour across the street. It's better now than it used to be, with renovations a few years ago having made an effort to actually address the street in a more welcoming way.

Remember the crazy clock that used to be out front? I miss that.

77 Elm St. (the nightmare on Elm) sits right outside my office window. I still hate the base but I’ve grown to appreciate the sculptural elements on the tower.

Picture from UrbanDB

alan_brown_2.jpg

Everyone loves to hate the regency going up in yorkville, but I can't figure out why... I think it looks amazing.

I agree about 2 Bloor West - and still mourn the disappeared lobby artwork panels that the reno several years ago deprived us of, which I've whined about before on this forum, and assume were destroyed. There is another example of the artist's work in the government offices at Wellesley and Bay.

Also, I'm delighted that 77 Elm's fanclub gathers momentum, one storey at a time. The book Concrete Toronto gives it several mentions ( an interview with architect Uno Prii; the building itself; and an item about parking garages ) and it has long been my favourite - along with the very sculptural Jorgensen Hall - of all our downtown Brutalist buildings.

Hmmm, Jorgenson as a *favourite*.

Though yes, I've offered Jorgenson as a de facto nominee here in the past...

Back