Toronto Basin Media Hub | 21m | 5s | Hackman Capital Partners | SOM

Gingko are amazing, branches doesn’t break easy, wind resistant, pollution resistant, low maintenance. It’s a legacy tree. A favourite tree of mine with so many cultivars with different shape and size. It’s true it’s not the favourite trees for birds but my gingko attract a lot of birds and wish I would see more of this tree in premium locations.

Generally speaking, Ginkos are not nesting habitat, nor are they a food source for any wildlife native to Ontario.

They have the lowest rating possible in regard to the above.

Which is why landscapers love them; because even insects and pests ignore them.

But that makes them a high risk for becoming invasive, and they offer little to no ecological value.

I have no objection to one in a botanical garden, but don't want to see them in widespread use.

Generally speaking, Ginkos are not nesting habitat, nor are they a food source for any wildlife native to Ontario.

They have the lowest rating possible in regard to the above.

Which is why landscapers love them; because even insects and pests ignore them.

But that makes them a high risk for becoming invasive, and they offer little to no ecological value.

I have no objection to one in a botanical garden, but don't want to see them in widespread use.
It’s not an invasive tree and doesn’t look like it’s going to be the only tree planted.

Same for every tree we need to be careful over planting it but it’s a sound choice for cities.

Wish we would see more gingko and from all cultivars. It’s not that popular with home owners because 1) slow growing (usually), it’s a tree for the next generation 2) need to select a male cultivator to avoid the unpopular fruit.

It’s not an invasive tree and doesn’t look like it’s going to be the only tree planted.

Same for every tree we need to be careful over planting it but it’s a sound choice for cities.

Wish we would see more gingko and from all cultivars. It’s not that popular with home owners because 1) slow growing (usually), it’s a tree for the next generation 2) need to select a male cultivator to avoid the unpopular fruit.

We will have to disagree. Yes, its better than planting Norway Maple; but no, that's not sufficient to justify it.

There are an abundance of native species that are preferable in every colour, and height, and characteristic.

Brick is gone.

Main office building components are now clad in green metal insulated panels. The stages are now ribbed precast concrete much more in line with the existing soundstage buildings in the area. It’s just more of a basic studio now which is fine, but why go through three rounds of design review panel to end up with something completely different and arguably worse than the original concept?
But that's just it: it's a private movie studio - by nature just a bunch of big sheds - so why was this ever given any treatment but that? Moreover, why is a large, private, movie studio (which will be surrounded by a huge wall) given such prime placement on Toronto's waterfront? That's the question I'd like answered. If anyone thought we were going to get some sort of evocative SOM building(s), sorry, but you're a mark.

But that's just it: it's a private movie studio - by nature just a bunch of big sheds - so why was this ever given any treatment but that? Moreover, why is a large, private, movie studio (which will be surrounded by a huge wall) given such prime placement on Toronto's waterfront? That's the question I'd like answered. If anyone thought we were going to get some sort of evocative SOM building(s), sorry, but you're a mark.

I suspect that the hope was, as with Pinewood, 'Studio Tours' and some type of tourist trap compatible buildings/public realm integrated with the working studios.

I can picture people dreaming of the old hollywood backlots. Most of which had limited to no public access, and much of which is now torn down, but I digress.

It was always a suspect vision, as tourist eyes are a nuisance to any working tv/film production.

Which does bring us back to why here?

I think there actually is a roughly good reason, though the wrong spot on a detail level.

Proximity to downtown Toronto.

A lot of productions do their outdoor shoots in downtown, or if they have a historical vibe, Distillery, and the virtue of those being close at hand, along with the historical presence of smaller studios nearby on Lakeshore and Eastern play into this.

That makes the case for them being in the area, prime real estate or not, the industry is a big employer.

But should the siting have been done on the turning basin? One could certainly argue that the south side of Eastern, or Lakeshore would have made more sense, but the former is largely privately owned, while the latter has major facilities that would have to be relocated at public expense (Toronto Hydro, Wheel Trans garage etc )

That said, whereas the land in question is public, the City was free to impose as a condition of lease design standards agreeable to the DRP. That they apparently chose not to do that raises further questions.

Hopefully someone will pick up the costs of a promenade (it's huge)... but the only walkable/bike-able attraction here would be my (brilliant ;-) idea of a big split-screen video wall on the exterior showing what's happening inside the studios .

I realize there's a thousand legal reasons this Hollywood peek-a-boo behind the curtain would never happen but hey, it would be an industry first.

Granted in an industry where "hurry up and wait" is often the de facto protocol (as @Lenser will attest ;-)... there may not many opportunities to catch Zendaya's body double blocking out a nude shower scene. But even a glimpse of the crew messing around a sci-fi set would get me on my bike.

When nothing is happening ... just run promos/ads from the tenants/producers in town (Amazon/MGM, Apple etc.). Then get on your bike and wonder if it was worth the trip.

Link

I must agree with Northern Light; tourists and avid film/star buffs will very likely not be welcome on any active shooting site (which doesn't involve extras, of course) - they bring security and insurance concerns and the shooting schedules are rather tight and very expensive as it is. It might seem peachy keen from the outside peering in, but the reality of making most film ands series content is like discovering precisely what goes into the proverbial sausage. It's a lot of hard work - and, for shooting crews especially - a lot of waiting around between shoots. The days can get rather long.

Love the idea of the video wall, though. I just don't see them ponying up the cash to do it. It might be an excellent promotional device - but again, these studios view the Portlands primarily as a practical work hub rather than a publicity attraction for the greater city around it.

They're office buildings. They've got to go somewhere and its perfectly reasonable to say they should be accessible by transit or bike just like any other type of work. That said, in a location like the waterfront, some care should be taken to integrate it into an urban fabric. There is no reason that there couldn't be a greater mix of uses, especially around perimeter. Film studios have stimulated restaurants and catering business in otherwise industrial locations elsewhere in the city. There is no requirement for his project to be so hostile to the waterfront

There is often an urge to say that film studios should on the fringes of the city because they are by definition a poor use of space. I don't think thats true. Toronto has a history of adaptive reuse for film studios, which is a good thing, but new builds should be part of the city like any other development and should reflect good planning practices. I think the developers and architects here are lazy, unimaginative and completely lacking in pride for their work. If the proposal was for a suburban office park with surface parking, we wouldn't say no offices should ever be on the waterfront.

Timing is a bit of an obstacle

Even L.A. (the worst urban city I think I've ever been to) often puts in a moderate effort at some sort of urban integration.

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 10.25.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 10.54.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 10.55.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 12.14.50 PM.png

One thing working against that sort of clean& cleaver integration of multiple-use in the Portlands is the cement facilities. They're not going away anytime soon - hence the cement truck traffic (which in turn feeds the constant construction of condos we see all over the GTA) - will continue to be heavy, dusty and noisy.

Back