News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 560     0 

Toronto as Toronto in new movie...

R

rdaner

Toronto as Toronto in new movie...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a new movie coming to DVD next week that features Toronto as itself. The movie is called SIDEKICK and I'm the writer-producer of the film. I'm also a tremendously proud Canadian/Torontonian and daily visitor to this forum.

Quick BG on the movie:

SIDEKICK was shot on DV, financed on credit cards on filmed on weekends in several locations across the city back in 2004. It went on to become an award-winning hit at film festivals all across North America. Telefilm Canada stepped in to fund a 35mm blow-up of the movie which then went on to screen in theatres all across Canada as part of an 8 city cross Canada tour. Word-of-mouth on the tour was phenomenal and the media attention was nothing short of staggering. It was so good that Maple Pictures (the Canadian spin-off of Lionsgate) purchased home video and television rights. SIDEKICK hits video shelves on November 14th all across Canada.

Through every stage of making SIDEKICK it was important for me to feature Toronto as realistically as possible. Nobody goes to Tim Hortons with a hockey stick and sings O Canada with a bunch of singing beavers. That sort of Canadiana really bothers me in movies.

I've screened SIDEKICK over 30 times all across Canada and audiences have always responded favourably to seeing Toronto depicted as itself. There's been no Toronto backlash - which actually surprised me.

If you get the chance to check it out, please do. It's the effort of over 70 Toronto artists. I'd be especially interested to hear your thoughts. You can see several buildings in various stages of construction that are now finished structures.

Check out www.sidekickmovie.com for info (and a trailer that features Toronto, too). And if you want, you can purchase the movie online through Amazon.ca.

Re: Why can't I edit my posts?

i know that this is slightly off topic so forgive me, but the title seemed to be a good fit.

a few weeks ago i was flipping through a brochure for the new nissan altima (2007 model year) and i happened to notice that the backdrop city used in all of the fold-outs is none other than... you guessed it, Toronto... complete with most of the waterfront and CN tower, so you know it's not being passed off as chicago or NYC.

and while watching clips of an upcoming stop motion, celebrity send-up program on E! last week (after the soup), i noticed that the city used in the set background was indeed, Toronto. a nice clean shot of FCP and Scotia tower. unmistakable.

it seems as though after years of being virtually invisible, the city is finally bustin' out all over.. LOL...

Back