News   Aug 07, 2024
 218     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 208     0 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 2.3K     3 

Toronto Architecture Firm Wants YOUR voice!

davidh9

Member Bio
Reaction score
Good Morning UrbanToronto.ca!

I work for a prominent architecture firm here in Toronto. Recently we've been brain storming ways in which to utilize the internet and online communities who want to get involved in the exciting work were doing, but can't. We want to remove some of the mystery, but we're having a hard time thinking of answers to problems were not sure even exist which is why I come to you today.

Use this as an opportunity to share with us what you'd like to see out of an architecture firm's presence (online or even physical). No idea is too out of the box! We love the idea of Open Doors Toronto (Which I'm sure many of you took advantage of) and we'd like to continue that notion into the firm. Should we set up an open forum, a blog, twitter, facebook etc... We want to explore social media as much as possible, and then refine it to our standards. Let us know!

I ask that you please not use this as an opportunity to criticize or praise Toronto architecture on a whole, I'm sure there are enough conversations on here for that!

Give us your ideas!

D

Facebook would be a good start. The only hesitation is intellectual property--those facebook guys have a pretty clever set up where everything benefits themselves....

And how about a website that was up to date? Many of these firm's sites are dated--even aA has trouble staying relevant with their website.

How about a public website that your own architects find useful? I know I've never used my companies external website because it's all PR BS. Provide straight facts and useful information with convienent links and resources to drill deeper on whatever interests people.

What do you want to do to utilize the internet? Unless you have a specific purpose, you are better off staying out of social media. It's like saying how can we use a newspaper? You can advertise in it, you can inform with it, you can recruit with it, or anything else that your firm would be inclided to do.

One thing that I'd love to see from architects are more 3D models. Look at the simple system used by GoogleMaps or the GigaPanorama project. You could present your finished project as presentable from any angle internally or externally. Rather than just saying "we did this project and that project", people can explore the full scope of your work rather than being limited to a carefully vetted best-face, which people are cynical of.

I haven't quite thought this through all the way, but what about translating a project the firm is working on to a sort of "This Old House" type of program, where certain aspects of the firm are highlighted from start to finish. I suppose this could be done in blog form, or in a series of short youtube clips.

Maybe not quite what you are looking for BUT

Not sure really what you are looking for but this may give you ideas. You may want to check out a site I frequent - theslowhome.com The folks that run it are with a firm in Calgary, one a prof at the University. They have a site about residential design and people ARE interested in it. I am a lay person that loves to look at places and floorplans as a hobby- strange? Not as much as I thought. Members that frequently comment I view as "not in the business". Recently they revamped the site and added a facebook and twitter account.

Good luck and maybe we will see you over there,
Mid America Mom

Back