Burlington Appleby GO West | ?m | 45s | Alinea | Diamond Schmitt

just east of the creek

Member Bio
Reaction score
A friend forwarded to me an article from 'nsauga' (Steve Pecar) which talks about a major redevelopment plan for the North West Corner of Appleby Line and Fairview, and a commercial plaza site to the south,. The development talks of 20 towers and 30 total buildings. This site is within 5 to 10 minute walk of Appleby Go amongst other things. The developer is the Alinea Land Corporation. I believe that means the Paletta Family. The Palettas have been embroiled with the city in other ongoing disputes where they are trying to turn employment lands into housing projects. These are the lands opposite Bronte Creek Park. They are also involved in 600 King Road, which is a thread here on UT. And they have been embroiled in a conflict over the building owned by them, and leased to Tender Choice, that burned for the second time in 2018, and word or conjecture on the street is that insurance refused to pay out. And the half demolished building still stands as a lovely view from the QEW.

We need to see further details as other high profile, high density developments along Fairview (which parallels the GO Lakeshore West Line) have yet to see a shovel in the ground - Garden Gallery redevelopment being one of them

So we will see where this leads. Based on their previous body of work, no where very fast.

The article is here: https://www.insauga.com/20-towers-r...or-in-major-burlington-redevelopment-project/

A friend forwarded to me an article from 'nsauga' (Steve Pecar) which talks about a major redevelopment plan for the North West Corner of Appleby Line and Fairview, and a commercial plaza site to the south,. The development talks of 20 towers and 30 total buildings. This site is within 5 to 10 minute walk of Appleby Go amongst other things. The developer is the Alinea Land Corporation. I believe that means the Paletta Family. The Palettas have been embroiled with the city in other ongoing disputes where they are trying to turn employment lands into housing projects. These are the lands opposite Bronte Creek Park. They are also involved in 600 King Road, which is a thread here on UT. And they have been embroiled in a conflict over the building owned by them, and leased to Tender Choice, that burned for the second time in 2018, and word or conjecture on the street is that insurance refused to pay out. And the half demolished building still stands as a lovely view from the QEW.

We need to see further details as other high profile, high density developments along Fairview (which parallels the GO Lakeshore West Line) have yet to see a shovel in the ground - Garden Gallery redevelopment being one of them

So we will see where this leads. Based on their previous body of work, no where very fast.

The article is here: https://www.insauga.com/20-towers-r...or-in-major-burlington-redevelopment-project/

From the article linked above:

1717348317653.png

1717348353573.png

I believe @innsertnamehere is UT's designated Burlington-area development guru. I shall await his thoughts!

This application is likely in response to the City's MTSA policy review.

I'm not as familiar with the Appleby MTSA as I am with the Aldershot and Burlington MTSAs, but the City of Burlington is proposing to implement a rather unique "Community Planning Permit" system for the MTSA areas, so a lot of landowners are going to be trying to get applications in before it goes into effect.

From the City of Burlington Website. an overview of the cities MTSA planning process and other updates, including council meeting on the subject June 11th.

The City of Burlington is in our next phase of city-building as we approach full build-out of our urban area. We are looking at area-specific plans (ASPs) for Aldershot GO, Burlington GO and Appleby GO Major Transit Station Areas (MTSAs) to continue implementing our vision for the right level of intensification for Burlington. We are also looking to protect established neighbourhoods by focusing future population growth to key areas, such as around higher order transit.

This work is not new. We started with the Mobility Hubs Study in 2017-2018 and focused on area-specific planning work for the three GO Station areas. At that time, we gathered feedback through visioning, public engagement and technical studies. From there, we drafted precinct plans for each study area around the Aldershot, Burlington and Appleby GO Stations. In the end, these draft precinct plans were presented to Council for comment, but not approved and the Mobility Hubs Study was placed on hold. For more information on the Mobility Hubs Study including past events and staff reports, please visit the Mobility Hubs Study webpage.(External link)

We are now planning to resume this work as the MTSA Area-Specific Planning Project. We will build upon and refine the work undertaken through the Mobility Hubs Study. This includes:

• the completion of all required technical studies,
  • more public and stakeholder engagement,
  • completion of three (3) area-specific plans,
  • implementing Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw amendments, and
  • other implementation strategies as required
Please subscribe to this project page to stay up-to-date.

To assist Council in making their decision, the City is committed to leading an open and transparent public engagement process to ensure the voices of people from every corner of the city are heard and valued.
(there is more information and links to be found at: https://www.getinvolvedburlington.ca/mtsa )

I get a kick out of these renders, everything looks just so nice! And Drum is going to love it, because as opposed to Brightwater, these are towers, and the towers are everywhere. It looks as if the city walls are being built to keep our the heathens. I guess at at some point there will be some further development to the east of Fairview Station. Just do not count on much of a view in any direction except southerly. I appears as if they are working to de-emphasise cars, which is a step forward, but we'll have to dig further into the details in regards to all the services one would expect to see in a neighbourhood of this size - day care to the corner store.

Back