Thanks to @sopes for the tip off.

One Render:

1695909234045.png

Site Plan:

1695909289097.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1695909357701.png

Parking; 0

Elevator Ratio ( 2 elevators, 16 units may be the best ratio we've seen, 12.5 elevators per 100 units

I get the idea here, but I'm inclined to say 'no' to this one.

One reason only, the separation distance to the units on the building to the east (the subject of this thread)

This is what they get to stare at, a mere 8M from their balconies. A blank wall. This will virtually wipe out any access to daylight for the applicable units.

1695909638613.png

Stats from the Cover Letter:

1695909745351.png

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nt/application-details/?id=5330811&pid=230012

Last edited by a moderator:
As a stand-alone, I love this, but I'm surprised the same developer as the Charles next door would even try and get this one through, considering it will essentially destroy the sellability of those lower units facing that blank wall. On a better site, this would be an absolute winner and is just the kind of infill we need.

I'm curious how/why did they put balconies on 628 Church so close to the lot line like that? I really like this proposal in terms of scale (and it has colour!) but it seems the potential of that lot is wasted now. Or if it's built as proposed those are going to be some miserable units as pointed out earlier.

...it will be one of the brights bits of colour in a sea of white and Toronto grey towers.

Thanks to @sopes for the tip off.

One Render:

View attachment 509724

Site Plan:

View attachment 509725

Ground Floor Plan:

View attachment 509726

Parking; 0

Elevator Ratio ( 2 elevators, 16 units may be the best ratio we've seen, 12.5 elevators per 100 units

I get the idea here, but I'm inclined to say 'no' to this one.

One reason only, the separation distance to the units on the building to the east (the subject of this thread)

This is what they get to stare at, a mere 8M from their balconies. A blank wall. This will virtually wipe out any access to daylight for the applicable units.

View attachment 509727

Stats from the Cover Letter:

View attachment 509728

Link: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nt/application-details/?id=5330811&pid=230012
Many buildings from 1850s on had similar arrangements and they worked out fine. And they could always add transom windows if need be. We have to start being more creative in our designs as density increases and the lack of an acceptable view/direct sunlight from a side room is hardly a problem!

And I am so excited by this that I made an IG reel to spread the news!

IMG_5362.png

Last edited:
Many buildings from 1850s on had similar arrangements and they worked out fine. And they could always add transom windows if need be. We have to start being more creative in our designs as density increases and the lack of an acceptable view/direct sunlight from a side room is hardly a problem!

And I am so excited by this that I made an IG reel to spread the news!
This kind of housing typology is a large part of what makes NYC so iconic, I spent a large part of my trip last year walking around mouth agape at the beautiful streetwalls in SoHo and the lower east side. As much as I love the proposal I don't think staff would be out of their minds for refusing it due to the neighboring balconies, although I don't see it as a major concern.
1721100352055.png

Back