Toronto 4665 Steeles East | ?m | ?s | LeBANC Development

W

wyliepoon

National Post

(The article refers to Scarborough city council. Never knew that Scarborough is no longer part of the megacity. I guess you can learn something new everyday from reading the Post.)

Link to article

Signage exemption makes room for English
James Cowan, National Post
Published: Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Scarborough city councillors yesterday approved an exception to local bylaws to enable a new mall to post its sign in a second language--English.

Splendid China Square, on Steeles Avenue East near Kennedy Road, currently boasts two signs bearing its name in Chinese. Its owners want to install English signs as well, but bylaws limit the size and number of signs that can be affixed to commercial buildings. With the second language added, the mall will exceed its sign size quota by 24 square metres. Nonetheless, Scarborough city council yesterday voted 8-1 in favour of making an exception for the mall.

Mike Del Grande, who represents the ward containing the mall, said residents who do not speak Chinese currently feel intimidated about shopping at a mall without English signage. "People see these cultural markets and they say they don't feel invited, they don't know what they sell, 'I don't feel comfortable,' " he said. He said the two sets of signs will send a message that the mall is "inviting everyone."

Bruce McMinn, co-owner of the property, said the bylaw exemption was required to make both languages legible.

"I could have accommodated 100% of the lettering under the bylaw, but the signs would have just been a blur when you drove past," Mr. McMinn said.

The mall, which will officially open this weekend, is located at the epicentre of a burgeoning Chinese community. Situated in a ward where more residents speak Chinese as their mother tongue than English, Splendid China Square is also next door to the Pacific Mall, Canada's largest mall geared toward Chinese patrons.

The Asian community is so predominant in the area that many businesses only have signs in Chinese, Mr. McMinn noted. He cited the Market Village, a shopping centre across the street from his own development.

"You would have no idea what Market Village offered unless you were a sinophile, because the language it uses is Chinese," Mr. McMinn said.

He said he and his partners always wanted to have bilingual signs but ordered and installed the Chinese-language ones first because they took longer to manufacture. Having both Chinese and English signs will allow the mall to appeal to patrons beyond the immediate community, Mr. McMinn said.

"We are interested in attracting the broadest possible base," he told the councillors. "It is true that probably 80% of the ward is Chinese culturally, but we would be foolish to discount the other 80% of the City of Toronto."

Several councillors warned issues with multilingual signs may soon become more common. Councillor Brian Ashton argued size restrictions may be currently forcing other ethnic businesses to post signs without English on them. "It is just their language and no other because they use up whatever allowance they have," he said, adding later, "Toronto brags about its diversity, but we have yet to contemplate how to reflect our shared culture."

Only councillor Ron Moeser opposed granting Splendid China Square an exemption, arguing it may set a precedent for other businesses.

"We establish bylaws for a reason," he said. "The impact on our community that signage has is one we must tread very carefully with."

P1060514.jpg

Why does it seem to me that chinese people are both more AND less likely to drive? (mainly based upon where they live)

White people are also more and less likely to drive based on where they live.

This will inevitably make me sound racist, but I'm not in a politically correct mood right now anyway: it ticks me off that we live in a country where despite knowing our 2 official languages, you're still liable to fall in situations where signage (and customer service) is not understandable. >:

When in Rome, do as the Romans do: Learn the flippin' language /rant

I wonder if the Chinese get that annoyed at English only signs in China...

it ticks me off that we live in a country where despite knowing our 2 official languages, you're still liable to fall in situations where signage (and customer service) is not understandable.

There's this huge Dominion-sized supermarket on Dundas Street a few blocks west of the 427 called Starsky which sells mostly Polish goods, and despite the fact that that's the market they're catering to and that the majority of the customers are probably Polish (based on what I've seen), it nevertheless irks me that everybody who works there automatically speaks to you in Polish (unless of course you're visibly not).

If my mother tongue was Polish I'd be able to order Polish tongue like a native.

Towered, I feel the same way. Worst still: I look Polish. :\

This is Canada, we speak Canadian eh. Since we're on the topic, I also find it rude when two shopkeepers are at the counter and I'm speaking with one in English, while he/she turns to the other shop keeper and speaks in his/her native tongue. It's like they're hiding something from me, it's plain rude.

National Post on Splendid China Tower

Link to article

A Splendid Departure From Shovels
Upmarket Asian Mall Replaces Old Canadian Tire

PETER KUITENBROUWER
National Post

Friday, March 02, 2007

The old Canadian Tire at 4675 Steeles Avenue East, corner of Kennedy Road, re-opened a couple of weeks ago with a new coat of paint, shiny ceramic tiles, carpeting and track lighting, a stage with an LCD video wall and huge serpentine gold dragons draped around the skylight. It has a new name, too: Splendid China Tower.

Gone are the snow shovels and motor oil. This new upmarket Asian mall glistens with jewellery, cosmetics, and specialty food shops, signs of the economic muscle of Chinese Canadians in Scarborough.

A poster says Mayor David Miller will come here tonight to take in a 7 p.m. concert by Hong Kong pop stars Kwok Ho Ying and Lam Man Lung at the glitzy Century Palace Chinese Restaurant.

"People come here, have good business, and have prosperity," says Stella Ho, the property manager, explaining the murals adorning the mall's entrance, depicting covered wagons of ancient Chinese nobility, painted gold, pulled by teams of horses. "Every day there are new stores opening. People have more places to spend their money."

Pacific Mall, which developer Sam Cohen opened 10 years ago across the street from here, on the north side of Steeles at Kennedy, has proven the financial clout of Greater Toronto's Chinese community. Yes, pirated DVDs of popular movies abound, for $5 each.

But nearby, two ounces of "Uncle Bill's 100% Canadian Pure Wild Ginseng," for example, retails for $520 at SBS Sino-Canada Products Ltd., and just over half a kilo of abalone is $133. Shoppers are ogling a Sony Bravia full high-definition 1080 television, $6,999.99, which is not yet available at Future Shop or Best Buy.

The booming Chinatown straddling Scarborough and Markham has become a shopping destination for greater Toronto, and it's growing fast.

Last year, new players in the Asian mall game purchased 45 acres of farmland about three kilometres east, near Steeles and Markham Road, to turn cabbage fields into yet another Asian mall -- twice the size of the Pacific Mall -- to be called The Landmark.

The frontman of The Landmark is Terry Yiu, 41, whose family are developers in Hong Kong. Mr. Yiu, who lives on Davenport Road in the Annex, wears a North Face parka and drives a Lexus SUV; he is the brash, confident new face of developers in north Chinatown. He took me to lunch at Lemon Grass, a Thai eatery in a nearby strip mall with leather chairs, gold wallpaper and a wrought iron abstract pattern on the walls, where a lunch of soup, satay chicken, a spring roll, pad thai and rice noodles goes for $7.99.

"We are positioning the shopping mall for the second generation," says Mr. Yiu, who wants restaurants like Lemon Grass to locate in his new mall. "Like this place. It's hip. We want more multiculturalism, and English signage inside and out."

To help raise the money, Mr. Yiu is selling the mall as 500 shop condominiums, with each shopkeeper buying its own store.

Meanwhile, Splendid China Tower has applied to build a new addition on its western side, which would triple the mall's size and add four levels of underground parking.

The local councillor, Michael Del Grande, and city staff oppose the project, saying it would compound already horrendous traffic in the area. The developers have appealed the project to the Ontario Municipal Board.

Mr. Yiu attended the Splendid China pre-hearing at the OMB two weeks ago; he says five lawyers showed up: for the Pacific Mall, for Market Village, for the City of Markham, the City of Toronto, and Heathwood Neighbourhood Association.

Splendid Tower may be seeking the Mayor's support by inviting him to its event tonight, but Mr. Del Grande says the city must solve traffic issues before approving new projects here.

"Traffic, traffic and more traffic," he says. "That [Splendid Tower] project is not going anywhere until the traffic issues are resolved."

Until then, my advice would be: come shop here on a weekday. You can visit a foreign land, without even leaving the 416. And that, my friends, is splendid.

It truly is splendid.

But seriously, nice to see Teeple squeezing out something interesting on what looks like a low budget.

The Spledid China Tower mall across from Pacific Mall is very nice. It's way better than PM. The problem right now is that lots of stores are empty. But once all the stores are leased, it should be a very nice addition, love its entrace to a big stage in the mall, with lots of space in upper level for people to be able to see the stage.

"Splendid China Tower"

I'm sure it's been chuckled o'er before, but this amuses me every time I see it - surely one of the most unintentionally funny building names ever. And a clear misnomer, to boot:

269695.jpg

Oy...

"Splendid China Tower"

I'm sure it's been chuckled o'er before, but this amuses me every time I see it - surely one of the most unintentionally funny building names ever. And a clear misnomer, to boot:

269695.jpg

Oy...

Funny? Not so much. Fugly? Yes.

Back