Hamilton 46-48 Ferguson Avenue South | 97.8m | 30s | Hi-Rise Group | Graziani + Corazza

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A 2023 Formal Consultation on the primary address 46 Ferguson Avenue South with the following description:
To develop one 29 storey multiple dwelling and one 12 storey multiple dwelling connected via a 1-storey podium with setbacks at 6 and 12 storeys. 390 residential units and 278 vehicle parking spaces are proposed.

Fengate has also assembled 165-173 Jackson St E.

Site looking north from Jackson in 2022, via Google Streetview, we can see core sampling occurring on site:
1689957377244.png

Spec article about the former fine dining establishment at this location closing to make way for development:

The building in the background is in the UT database (154 Main St East).

Often visit a friend nearby and occasionally checked out its construction... and was kinda shocked. Everything was lifted in place (no sign of cement trucks).

The floors were pre-fab assembly (presumably reinforced concrete), the walls were pre-fab and of course the cladding was glass and pre-cast (aka pre-fab).

No idea what the elevator core was built of lol... maybe someone well-versed in this construction can chime in. Looked like a house of cards. 😳

The building in the background is in the UT database (154 Main St East).

Often visit a friend nearby and occasionally checked out its construction... and was kinda shocked. Everything was lifted in place (no sign of cement trucks).

The floors were pre-fab assembly (presumably reinforced concrete), the walls were pre-fab and of course the cladding was glass and pre-cast (aka pre-fab).

No idea what the elevator core was built of lol... maybe someone well-versed in this construction can chime in. Looked like a house of cards. 😳
Stubbes precast panels. Looks like trash, and I bet is a bad insulator. Platinum on the southeast corner of King and Queen was built the same way, and so was the hotel on the northwest corner of the same intersection.

Coletera and Vrancor seem to be planning to use this method for the majority of their future builds and it's quite unfortunate.

I've also see it done with the same panel company Stubbes in Kitchener and Waterloo quite a bit, but usually for student residences.

Stubbes precast panels. Looks like trash, and I bet is a bad insulator. Platinum on the southeast corner of King and Queen was built the same way, and so was the hotel on the northwest corner of the same intersection.

Coletera and Vrancor seem to be planning to use this method for the majority of their future builds and it's quite unfortunate.

I've also see it done with the same panel company Stubbes in Kitchener and Waterloo quite a bit, but usually for student residences.
It makes me wonder how the quality of both the climate insulation and especially the sound insulation is? And will these be slums in about 30-40 years? The build quality just seems terrible but yet they are asking for disgusting rent prices it makes no sense!?

So having looked through this, I'm over ally fine with the development, but have some small tweaks I'd like to see. I dislike ground floor parking spaces, forcing tiny commercial space on the first floor of 750sqft. I also don't like the east facing landscaping. Super suburban for no particular reason, despite there being retail. It's tiny so I'd expect a cafe at most which suck there's no space for a patio to make Ferguson which is supposed to be a cycling street a bit more lively.

I still think 271 parking spaces is far too much for this location, but I do appreciate that it's like half of what is required.

I also lament the loss of what is honestly a beautiful building fronting Ferguson. With G&C I don't expect something of much value to be replacing it.

So having looked through this, I'm over ally fine with the development, but have some small tweaks I'd like to see. I dislike ground floor parking spaces, forcing tiny commercial space on the first floor of 750sqft. I also don't like the east facing landscaping. Super suburban for no particular reason, despite there being retail. It's tiny so I'd expect a cafe at most which suck there's no space for a patio to make Ferguson which is supposed to be a cycling street a bit more lively.

I still think 271 parking spaces is far too much for this location, but I do appreciate that it's like half of what is required.

I also lament the loss of what is honestly a beautiful building fronting Ferguson. With G&C I don't expect something of much value to be replacing it.
Great points. To add, it seems that the checkered pattern here is becoming a default swatch for developers after seeing a project in Oakville with the same facade. Both seem to be more and more distant from M3, which might have been the original… this isn’t exactly top-notch quality.

I do like the brick on the podium though. Always great to see, especially with some of it being retail (too small, but we’ll take what we can get). What exactly is being lost here? I thought there wasn’t anything on this lot when I saw the application for the first time.

Edit: nevermind, I see now. That small but quaint warehouse deserves to be integrated given its structural simplicity…

271 seems in line with the requirements for downtown - not sure why the architectural plans show a requirement of 1-1 parking.

Agreed on your other comments.

This is another LiUNA / Fengate / Hi-Rise Group project by the looks of it - and they seem to love G+C. Thankfully they seem to be getting the "best" out of G+C on Cobalt, which still isn't saying much.. but at least it's not completely terrible.

Keep them coming, love the sheer amount of density and people that will be calling downtown home! Some minor tweaks and this will be a great addition.

My only thought is that I wish the Zig Zag pattern continued all the way down on the South Elevation like it does the east.it would look better especially from the escarpment, or the worst match the north elevation. something about the south elevation seems off.

My only thought is that I wish the Zig Zag pattern continued all the way down on the South Elevation like it does the east.it would look better especially from the escarpment, or the worst match the north elevation. something about the south elevation seems off.
It's an L shape though right, so the parts where the zig zag stops are where the podium is larger than the tower

Generally a pretty quiet quadrant of development in downtown (save one recently completed project on Walnut). Great to see this team advance this one, they have a wonderful track record of follow through.

Back